SASS Wire Forum

Shooters' Business Opportunity

On Fox News this morning, the highlights of Sen. Tom Coburn's annual report on wasteful spending, including this nugget:

"Another wasteful project with a big price tag is the Pentagon’s plan to destroy $16 billion in military-grade ammunition that it deems no longer useful. Sounds pricey, right? Well add in the fact that on top of that, the feds plan to spend $1 billion just to destroy the ammo.

“The amount of surplus ammunition is now so large that the cost of destroying it will equal the full years’ salary for over 54,000 Army privates,” the report notes."

What? What? Did I hear that right?

Let's form a business and submit a proposal to take control of and distribute this mother lode, saving the US $1Billion, and keeping all of us in ammo for the next 20-30 years!

What's the downside?

LL

Would like to know caliber and type of projectile.

LG

Undoubtedly a lot of stuff we can't use, but then... I'm thinking a BUNCH of "obsolete" calibers. Like .30-06... .45 ACP (some in moon clips)... .38... .22 long rifle... Heck, possibly even some .45 Colt!

Oh! How 'bout .30-40 Krag? They don't use that so much anymore, and there's probably leftovers from when they did... :)

And maybe... just maybe... a small mountain of .45-70... :rolleyes:

I'm re-reading Mel Tappan's Survival Guns. Written in '79. PDF is online, if you're interested. Anyway, in his discussion of rifle calibers, he's talking about 223/5.56, and mentions that the government has HUGE amounts of it, and since we weren't at war with anyone (at the time) it was quite likely that some, or much,of it would hit the surplus market. UNLESS (he said), the government, in its infinite wisdom, decides to destroy it - something they are quite likely to do.

edit: well, heck. I posted links, twice, to downloads The first one disappeared, and the second goes to a page that says CAN'T READ.

Maybe this will work. https://www.google.com/search?q=surival+guns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=tappan+survival+guns+pdf

Undoubtedly a lot of stuff we can't use, but then... I'm thinking a BUNCH of "obsolete" calibers. Like .30-06... .45 ACP (some in moon clips)... .38... .22 long rifle... Heck, possibly even some .45 Colt!

Oh! How 'bout .30-40 Krag? They don't use that so much anymore, and there's probably leftovers from when they did... :)

And maybe... just maybe... a small mountain of .45-70... :rolleyes:

Take a deep breath and step away from the coffee-------- :lol::lol:

LG

Archived