SASS Wire Forum

FS/T 700 Fireball Express Rifle (70-150) One of a kind.

I’ve worked on this rifle literally for years, while I had my shop, in my spare time. No longer having a shop or even access to one and realistically not seeing myself having the funds to have someone else finish the work, it pains me to admit that I don’t think I’ll able to see this piece through to a finish.

I intended this to be a true rifle (fully rifled barrel) recreation of the prototype that Winchester built based on the 1887 shotgun. Due to the case volume and bullet weight I built it with a black powder express rifle theme.(relatively short, open sighted, heavy stopping rifle) It’s built on an original Winchester 1901 lever action shotgun action which I chose for the better steel and additional locking point. The .70 caliber fully rifled Kreiger barrel was turned to match the original shotgun barrel profile and chambered with a set of custom reamers that I worked with Clymer to design. The cartridge is based on the original Winchester 70-150 concept. Using a necked down 12 gauge brass case and large rifle primers. It’s officially named the 700 Fireball Express, as original dimensions of the Winchester prototype round vary from source to source AND I intended to shoot it, so I had to use currently available brass(and barrel dimensions) and this dictated some of the case dimensions. The custom lathe bored mold cast’s a 970+/- grain bullet, to be used as cast or run through the custom hardened, EDM'd sizing die(to be .001 over bore) that is mounted in an old auto luber base.(could be rigged up for pressing in lube, I was just going to hand lube them with SPG or run them dry with a lube wad) The lathe reamed 5 die set has one die for decap, one for case form/resiz, one for case mouth bell, one for seat and one for crimp. All the action work to cycle and extract the loaded cartridges is complete as well. Partially done items; EDM barrel band ramp front sight(left high for sight regulation), allows for a 22" barrel. The barrel is currently 26 1/2" if the new owner thought longer was better... There is an EDM short quarter rib for the express sight mount. The barrel will need to be cut and crowned after final ramp install. The barrel band mag tube mount with integral swivel mounting point will need cleaned up. The action is 90% stoned out and will need final polish/stone depending on the final finish desired, I had planned on color case hardening and some engraving, but bluing might require some additional polish. Most of the screws are NOS or made new. Presentation grade walnut blanks for fabricating the wood furniture(butt stock and forend pieces).

020_zps99c27098.jpg

The case after forming will hold approx. 200 grains of Black Powder, but I intended to use a 12 gauge lube wad and that would reduce it by 40-50 grains depending on compression, powder, etc.. I have an old cell phone video of "proofing" it with a double bullet load and the 200+ grains of powder. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KplmtCiNYdI

There are two pieces of presentation grade black walnut, harvested (local to me then) in Michigan, one near Clarksville and one in the field next to my 40 acres. Buttstock and forend should be exquisite. I had intended to replicate the double diamond checkered forend like the "deluxe" 87's sported from Winchester. The buttstock I intended to be a modified shotgun style using a checkered buttplate in the original style.(but with more rise to align the sights.)

047_zps6133aa74.jpg

In the pics, the loaded case is shown next to a 44 mag for comparison. The 970+ grain bullet is shown next to a 200 grain 45.

001_zpscfbf5869.jpg

You occasionally see mention of a “one of a kind” firearm. This is one. From ringing(knocking over?) long range rifle side match steel to stopping charging squirrels or Cape Buffalo, uncase this one and you will be truly holding a one of a kind, ready to take on whatever gets in your way.

All pics here:http://s24.photobucket.com/user/fireball7709/library/parts/700%20Fireball%20Express?sort=3&page=1

$5000.00 for everything pictured, shipping to your FFL paid by the buyer. Rifle, dies, mold, 200 unformed cases, wood blanks and misc. small parts(screws/express sight, etc). I will need a signed copy of your FFL's license sent to me with the payment(or via email), to give to my FFL. If that is a problem, please pass, the local FFL ships for me but doesn't want to deal with mail, email or faxes.

Partial trades of 97 Trench gun, S&W 945, S&W 625PC(the 45ACP Vaquero sighted one), Lew Horton 29 3” with unfluted cylinder, Higher end EAA Witness in 10mm or 45, Ruger Hawkeye or other interesting quality firearms considered.

First I'll take it email to: fireball7709 (at) live (dot) com get it's. (Remove the spaces and add the proper symbols)

Folks, Fireball was the ahead of the curve with many things in our game. He IS the originsl 87' master and rocked one long before anyone else was. I was lucky enough to watch him build a lot of this rifle. Kinda of a shock to see him selling it actually. If I had the $$ this would already be in my safe. Whoever buys this is getting a working one of a kind piece of art.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Howdy,

I once bought a 92 from fireball.

It has been one of the most trouble free carbines I ever owned.

I don't shoot matches right now due to med problems but hope that changes.

I do practice and that 92 just shoots and shoots.

So if somebody gets this I would expect it is everything he says.

Best

CR

Archived