SASS Wire Forum

Warsaw Uprising

Subdeacon Joe

Good read and pretty Historically Accurate. For a good fictionalized account of both the Jewish Ghetto rising in 42 and the Home Army uprising in 44 Mayt i SUGGEST A BOOK CALLED "Fighting Poles" available from Amazon.com. The author is a history nut and is my favorate historical fiction wrighter. Name is Paul Mazan (AKA ME). Though, I might be slightly biased.

When Hitler realized that Stalin had no intentions of helping the uprising in Warsaw, he unleashed the SS and gave orders to demolish the city. In so doing, the SS destroyed centuries of historic architecture and killed thousands of civilians.

I often wondered how much of the city was rebuilt to its former self.

I was in Poland about 12 years ago. It was hard to believe it was a European country, as most of what I saw was extremely poor. There was wealth in the country, but it appeared to he very centralized.

Good read and pretty Historically Accurate. For a good fictionalized account of both the Jewish Ghetto rising in 42 and the Home Army uprising in 44 Mayt i SUGGEST A BOOK CALLED "Fighting Poles" available from Amazon.com. The author is a history nut and is my favorate historical fiction wrighter. Name is Paul Mazan (AKA ME). Though, I might be slightly biased.

On a slight tangent, has your research shed any light on the apocryphal stories of Polish cavalry attacking German armor in 1939?

On a slight tangent, has your research shed any light on the apocryphal stories of Polish cavalry attacking German armor in 1939?

Yes it has. I generally tell people that almost everything they "know" about Poland in WW2 is either German or Russian propaganda. To quote from the book "The Polish Campaign 1939" by Steven Zaloga and Victor Madej page 110

"Tales of Polish Cavalry charges against German tanks are still believed today, even by military historians. In fact, Polish cavalry troops were quite familiar with tanks and armored cars, since each cavalry brigade had an armored troop attached to it. The occasional encounters between mounted troops and German armored vehicles usually resulted in the Pols trying to escape such a hopeless skirmish in order to deal with them by using anti tank rifles from Dismounted positions".

As near as I can tell ti all started when an Italian reporter covering the invasion of Poland with the German Army was shown a field full of dead Polish Cavalry that were taken by surprise by German Armor and nearly alienated. Between translation problems and the reporters desire to write a spectacular story rather than the Poles being taken in the flank by surprise he had then charging the tanks with their lances. It got just the coverage he wanted back in Italy and the legend was born. Being as it served Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin's desire to show the stupidity of the backward Poles it was allowed to stand even after the truth was known.

So there I was...

...Back when I was in high school, I as acquainted with a Polish foreign exchange student. I didn't particularly like or dislike him; we were merely acquaintances and took a few classes together. Fast forward two decades and Facebook gets invented. He was able to reconnect with me and several other classmates through that medium, and I learned he is now a college professor in Warsaw.

With all of the goings on in the middle east, I publicly proclaimed my support for Israel in their current endeavor. That set him off like a 155 round! Suddenly, he began spewing all sorts of hate toward Israel, Jews, America, and me. My real name looks Irish, but is actually Scottish, so he characterized all Irish people as "vermin" who "deserve to be eradicated." Then he spouted off a bunch of Nazi rhetoric about the Jews. They share breeding habits with rats, use Palestinian childrens' blood in Jewish religious ceremonies, etc. ad nauseum.

Rather than put up with this garbage, I deleted his comments and unfriended him. He continued to harass me through private messages, and even went to our high school class page and said a bunch of nasty, hateful, Nazi-inspired things about me. The site admin deleted it within minutes of it being posted, and I blocked him. Blocking someone means they not only lose the ability to send you messages, but they also cannot even find your page when they search for you. As far as he knows, I no longer have a page.

I found it rather interesting that Nazi propaganda had infected a college professor's belief system so much, especially in Warsaw, Poland, where many of their atrocities took place. So I did a quick search, and learned the Neo-nazi movement is on the rebound in Poland and across Europe. What's really sad is this guy is affecting an entire generation of college students with this garbage.

Considering the Nazis murdered an estimated 6 million Polish Citizens during the war it is hard to understand your former friends attitude. That six million number looks familiar so let me clarify. The Nazis murdered about 3 million Polish Jews and 3 Million non Jewish Poles during the war. Basically 1 in every three Poles living in Poland before the war were killed by the Germans. That is the highest per capita death rate of any country in WWII. The fact that they killed as many Non Jewish Poles as Jewish Poles gives you some idea of what the Germans thought of Poles. Of the Six Million Jews killed in the Holocaust Three million were Polish Jews and the other three million were from other occupied countries. The Poles had welcomed the Jews into Poland when they were driven out of Russia and welcomed them as Polish Citizens, that's why there were so many there. That is not to say there was no antisemitism in prewar Poland. It existed there and everyplace else and still does. I don't personally understand BUT IT DOES EXIST.

Considering the Nazis murdered an estimated 6 million Polish Citizens during the war it is hard to understand your former friends attitude. That six million number looks familiar so let me clarify. The Nazis murdered about 3 million Polish Jews and 3 Million non Jewish Poles during the war. Basically 1 in every three Poles living in Poland before the war were killed by the Germans. That is the highest per capita death rate of any country in WWII. The fact that they killed as many Non Jewish Poles as Jewish Poles gives you some idea of what the Germans thought of Poles. Of the Six Million Jews killed in the Holocaust Three million were Polish Jews and the other three million were from other occupied countries. The Poles had welcomed the Jews into Poland when they were driven out of Russia and welcomed them as Polish Citizens, that's why there were so many there. That is not to say there was no antisemitism in prewar Poland. It existed there and everyplace else and still does. I don't personally understand BUT IT DOES EXIST.

Cyrus, your former friend apparently has a weak intellect and a damaged soul.

As near as I can tell ti all started when an Italian reporter covering the invasion of Poland with the German Army was shown a field full of dead Polish Cavalry that were taken by surprise by German Armor and nearly alienated.

!!! Zombies? Sorry to make light of so serious a subject. I couldn't resist.

Archived