SASS Wire Forum

What size wire for 73' extractor pin?

Doing some extractor upkeep I would like to try to make some new pins and have heard that music wire worlds well. Anybody know what size. I have tried the RCBS Small decapping pins and they too large for my particular set up. Anybody have any other ideas?

Hi Duece, use lyman decapping pins. There are the right diameter, inexpensive and you can taper the end to make it easier to take in and out as you tune the extractor. When you have the extractor tuned, cut the pin to length and peen the ends.,

Hi Duece, use lyman decapping pins. There are the right diameter, inexpensive and you can taper the end to make it easier to take in and out as you tune the extractor. When you have the extractor tuned, cut the pin to length and peen the ends.,

Thanks Tom! I'll give them a try. See ya in August.

The hole that Uberti drills is 1.5 MM. Which is 0.059"

A 0.060" music wire will work wonders. If slightly too tight, chuck a piece up in your drill motor and pinch some emery cloth on it for a few seconds. 25 Gauge music wire should be right there +/- a thousandths or two.

I like soft "hardware" or "rebar tie" wire, at the 14 gauge size. Which is 0.064" diameter (roughly), which I always have to thin down just slightly. It is strong enough for extractors, and so soft that it peens over nicely and can be drilled out without destroying the bolt.

In a pinch, a 1/16 drill can be thinned down, too. It starts real close to 0.0625" so it needs some thinning if you want to not damage the mounting hole in bolt.

McMaster Carr supply has a zillion pins in alloy & stainless They do have 1.5mm about $10.00 / 100 for 18-8 stainless.

The hole that Uberti drills is 1.5 MM. Which is 0.059"

A 0.060" music wire will work wonders. If slightly too tight, chuck a piece up in your drill motor and pinch some emery cloth on it for a few seconds. 25 Gauge music wire should be right there +/- a thousandths or two.

I like soft "hardware" or "rebar tie" wire, at the 14 gauge size. Which is 0.064" diameter (roughly), which I always have to thin down just slightly. It is strong enough for extractors, and so soft that it peens over nicely and can be drilled out without destroying the bolt.

In a pinch, a 1/16 drill can be thinned down, too. It starts real close to 0.0625" so it needs some thinning if you want to not damage the mounting hole in bolt.

Good info. Something I do is save old drill bits. The shank ends make great pins. plus they are never hardened like the fluted end. They leave them soft so the chuck doesn't slip so they are easy to work.

Archived