SASS Wire Forum

Any Of You Serve at Hamilton Field in Novato, CA?

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Marin-County-wetlands-rise-again-in-Hamilton-5430696.php

A cheer went up as salt water from San Pablo Bay poured through a breached levee Friday and flooded old, abandoned Hamilton Field in Novato, a landmark moment in the effort to restore Bay Area marshland habitat.

The levee breach was the last, biggest step in nearly two decades of work by conservationists to reconnect 648 acres - about 1 square mile - of wetlands to the bay and to restore tideland habitat for shorebirds, waterfowl, fish and wildlife.

The flooding of the runway at the former Air Force base, which was closed starting in 1973, is part of a regional effort to restore 100,000 acres of former wetlands around San Francisco Bay, according to conservationists. The Hamilton area was diked off around the turn of the 19th century, cutting off a primary landing spot for thousands of migrating waterfowl along the Pacific Flyway. It had remained dry until Friday, when a backhoe dug out the remaining mud barrier.

You'd think that in over 100 years the birds would have learned that it wasn't swampland anymore.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I was TDY there twice in 1867 and 1968; great Base, the Bar at the O Club had a big picture window behind it that looked directly South across the Bay at San Francisco. What a place!

Hoss C.

I took my pre-induction physical at Hamilton, and was promptly sent away due to a heart issue. Bummer!

But I have been to some air shows at there. Saw Bob Hoover do his "thing" with the Aero Commander ~ Wow! And now the runway is under water. :(

Yup... Marin County is a very purty place. No comment on the populace.

I took my pre-induction physical at Hamilton, and was promptly sent away due to a heart issue. Bummer!

But I have been to some air shows at there. Saw Bob Hoover do his "thing" with the Aero Commander ~ Wow! And now the runway is under water. :(

Yup... Marin County is a very purty place. No comment on the populace.

ah come on Hardpan you ruin all the fun. FYI I know a lot of good people from Marin county, key word FROM :D:lol::lol::lol: laugh it is to funny Hardpan

ah come on Hardpan you ruin all the fun. FYI I know a lot of good people from Marin county, key word FROM :D:lol::lol::lol: laugh it is to funny Hardpan

Ahhhh Marin....

Had friends in Mill Valley, Greenbrae, San Rafael... Used to sail out of Sausalito. Great fun! :)

And that million-dollar view from the Marin Headlands. That was a great place to take your date after the prom or fraternity banquet to enjoy that view. :blush: And the MP's were so danged civilized! They'd approach slowly and give ya a chance to get your windshield unfogged before politely running you off (it was an active Nike-Zeus missile installation back then). ^_^

And Stinson Beach (remember the "Stinson Beach Chargers?)... and the [in]famous Muir Beach... :rolleyes:

Hard to believe that was only forty-some years ago. :mellow:

Ahhhh Marin....

Had friends in Mill Valley, Greenbrae, San Rafael... Used to sail out of Sausalito. Great fun! :)

And that million-dollar view from the Marin Headlands. That was a great place to take your date after the prom or fraternity banquet to enjoy that view. :blush: And the MP's were so danged civilized! They'd approach slowly and give ya a chance to get your windshield unfogged before politely running you off (it was an active Nike-Zeus missile installation back then). ^_^

And Stinson Beach (remember the "Stinson Beach Chargers?)... and the [in]famous Muir Beach... :rolleyes:

Hard to believe that was only forty-some years ago. :mellow:

Just poking fun Hardpan :D:P

Actually I do not remember the Stinson Beach Chargers :unsure:

... but did you ever make it to Muir Beach...? :rolleyes:

"Hullo... Sheriff Department? This is Myrtle Schwarz, and I want to report a bunch of people cavorting NUDE out on that beach! What's that...? Are they visible from my home...? Why, they most certainly ARE! If I stand on the rail on the corner of my deck, and lean JUST so, and if the wind blows JUST right to move the tree branches out of the way, I can see them MOST clearly through my late husband's telescope!" B)

... and don't forget the hot tubs and peacock feathers! :lol:

Oh, we've been poking fun at Marin for a LONG time.... ^_^

I was stationed with the 78th Fighter Wing, 4th Air Force at Hamilton AFB in 1966-1968. Got married in the base chaple in 1967. Really one of the most beautiful bases in the Air Force at any time. Built during the 20's along with Randolph AFB Tx, Barksdale AFB, LA, and a few others. Great area to be stationed in, but I imagine that everything out there has changed (not for the better) I now hang my hat in Texas, north of San Antonio.

Only in California would they spend $107,000,000 to turn an airport into a swamp.

there has not been a plain take off from that airbase for more then 30 years badlands

If the birds survived for the past 100 years without this swamp, I think in the current financial environment, California could find something better to spend the money on. Or maybe not.

no argument, but you see all those environmentalist think they have to return every single thing human's have done back to what THEY think it should be

Archived