SASS Wire Forum

She Got Shorn!

Subdeacon Joe

Took our toy poodle to get clipped today.

Before:

"This is what happens when two 'shy' dogs try to do a canine hello. April is sporting her 'scruffy moppet' hairdo. Taken at Rincon Valley Dog Park in Santa Rosa, CA on Saturday morning."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0dssO45c0s

After:

"And this is the same dog (really!) after she got back from Petco grooming Saturday afternoon. Thank you Emma for a fantastic grooming job. We finally got some good shots of April's 'bounce and back up' as she waits for the next throw. How do we know when she'd tired? She heads back into the house."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=odtcnUsKkmM

Text is thanks to my blushing bride.

Wow!

What a transformation! She'll certainly be more comfortable in the summer I expect we'll have this year.

Wow!

What a transformation! She'll certainly be more comfortable in the summer I expect we'll have this year.

Yeah, "transformation" indeed. Almost like having two dogs for the price of on. I get my scruffy dawg for about a month, then my wife gets her well groomed little girl for a month.

And, ya know? I'm starting to like the prettified look.

Not really-that hair works both ways.

LG

No. In her case, if last summer is any indication, she stays cooler with the short fur. She plays longer and more vigorously in hot weather with the short cut. When it gets long and shaggy, she tires much more quickly and, even with being thoroughly brushed several times a day, spends a lot of time pulling at little knots of fur.

She's really adorable in the "French" cut. Watching her pom wiggle is a hoot.

Yeh! Kind of like the door stops we played with until our parents clouted us. I wind her up just so we can watch it go: SPROING!

ugly+doorstop.jpg

YOU or the Dog? :lol:

Looks as if she has done a good job with ya. :D

LG

Yep. ;)

Kinda works both ways. We needed to learn some of her signals, which "whoof!" means what. And she had to learn that she doesn't get to control everything.

Back story on her - she was a rescue dog, straight from the breeder/puppy mill to an older lady who did an OK job with her until the lady started slipping into dementia and for about two years treated April pretty much as a stuffed toy, carrying her around, not letting her walk outside, etc. a lot of the time not even taking her outside to "do her duty." We came on the scene in late 2012 as care givers, not long before the lady died. We were asked if we wanted to keep the dog. Sure, why not?

Once the dog realized that if she needed to go out we would take her so she didn't have to go in the house, she became much happier. And once we convinced her that she isn't the alpha, she got a lot less snappy and yappy.

That's not a poodle,Joe. It's a bouncing retreiver! :huh::lol::blush:

Yep. poodles ARE hunting dogs. Good ones, too. Even that odd "poodle cut" came about from hunting. Poofs at the joints, top of the head, and tip of the tail to keep those warm and protected. Thick fur on the chest, but smooth on the flanks for breaking into thickets and brambles.

deaux_rey21.jpg

testimonialpicture.jpg

Now I just need to figure out where I can hunt humming birds, finches, and field mice. ;)

Archived