SASS Wire Forum

Sad days in Florida

I visit Disney ......... A lot. When I visit Disney, I always take a day and. Visit "Fantasy of Flight" which is the largest private aviation collection on the planet. Also serve a dinomite lunch.

Sadly, Fantasy of Flight will close their doors on 6 April. If you've put off a visit, it's almost too late.

Coffinmaker

guess I outa git my skinny butt up there soon then!

They fly them noisy WWII planes over my house occasionally mostly on the weekends.

They are pretty loud and I can imagine them diving and strafing the ground with their machine guns.

Hopefully they'll continue to fly over after they get settled in their new location.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I've flown in a P-51 and the noise was minimal, the 50's are on the wings so I imagine the sound wouldn't be that bad either,

now, if you were on the ground and you had the attention of a P-51 I imagine it would have gotten a bit noisy.

I've flown in a P-51 and the noise was minimal, the 50's are on the wings so I imagine the sound wouldn't be that bad either,

now, if you were on the ground and you had the attention of a P-51 I imagine it would have gotten a bit noisy.

My Mother was a WASP, and logged lots of hours in 51's. She also did ground and in the air gun tests, as did all WASPs.

She remarked with the 51. The plane would have a strong, all over vibration, with the 6/50s going.

The plane that she said was the loudest of them all. When firing the guns, was the P-38. They ran 4/50s and a 20mm in the nose. Mom said firing that 20mm, when the 4/50s were run'n was like sit'n in a trash can and someone hit'n the can with a hammer.

LG

A F-82 was two P-51s joined with a short mid-wing and used in the post-WWII years including the Korean War. Two Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, four .50 BMGs on each outer wing and either two 20mm on the mid-wing or rockets for ground attacks.

This is the prop plane that I imagine would be louder than a P-38. I saw my first P-38 in the air over Oshkosh in 2012. Very impressive.

from the web page of FoF, it said they were closing the museum and then doing special events, didn't say anything that I saw about moving...

I was in Pensacola FL last week and visited the air museum at the Naval Air Station. Best aviation museum I ever visited! And I've visited Smithsonian, SAC in Omaha, and dozens more. Great interatctive displays and the I-Max is not to be missed!

Archived