SASS Wire Forum

Fools' Gold

After Bill brought his charges up, I realized we would have to modify the spar. We quickly cut mutiple kerfs into the spar, while Tom helped Chickasaw Bill construct a three tined mounting system for the charges. Bama Red assisted me as I wired the system up and wrapped the connections then added a layer of tar covered canvas for protection.

The spar used two brackets, one above the water line and a second below. That created a challenge. While we had fabricated a plate and a pair of chains to tie it in place, the engineer could only give me approximate positions for where those chains would attach. After some head scratching we added a socket to the plate and decided it would be mounted first, then the upper mount with the spar attached and we would swing and pivot it all into place. Sounds easy enough until you realize we'd be doing it under water while the ship was still underway, albeit at a reduced speed.

As it began to look like it was ready, Blackwater apprised us that we had perhaps 20 minutes to deploy it. "Whose going into the water?" he asked

I shrugged my shoulders "My idea, my party." I said, knowing full well the objections would soon start.

Blackwater shook his head in mock disgust "It's gonna take two men, maybe even three."

Tom volunteered and so did Bill. I accepted Tom's offer but told Bill "I'll need you on deck, you understand this contraption."

Bama Red tossed me a rope harness "I'll have a second one tied up in a few minutes, figured it might help you to stay with the ship. Link yourselves together and we'll tie a line between both of you to help hold you in position. Holding your breath is your problem."

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stripped down to nothing on the deck. I'm sure my white skin would have raised a few snickers under other circumstances, but I didn't want a thing on my body to drag me under the water while I was out there.

This was gonna be touch and go... But if it worked, we'd be free clean and easy.

I looked down at the water while Bama made a second rope harness, and tried to call on my ancestors for strength.

Even though the Colonel's plan was a bit.........

crazy, I was certain it would work. To be honest I was glad to have some more action, it should help with the awful sea-sickness. I was confident that Tom and the Col. could handle the underwater tasks, but we discussed that I'd be on the rail and either could wave a red handkerchief and if they needed me I'd jump right in.

"Tom, take a knife with you, if the rope breaks and you don't cut loose, you could get pulled into the prop faster than you think." With that I tucked my knife into the harness

"If everything is ready, then let's slow this boat to a crawl and get to it."

Bill shouted "Ready!"

Blackwater shouted "Ready!"

"Dead slow ahead" the captain shouted

Cody manned the detonator, ensuring that the wires were not connected.

"Detonator secured."

I looked Tom in the face "On three- One, two, three!"

When I was making the charges up , I had thought , we were going to use 2 spars , well since there was only going to be 1 ,

I would have to rewire then to where they , would all go off at once , NO problem just twist all the leads in to 1 bundle then hook em to the plunger box

I watched as the Col and Tom , go over the side to install the bottem spar plate ,

It came to me , if they could not get it in place , we could put some of the life jackets around the charges , so they would float

dump the spar over the side , and set em off , when the other ship tryed to pick it up , we would have to secure a rope to it so the wires would not be pulled out .

the other ship was dropping thair sails , trying to slow the rate they were closing on us

As the sailing ship drew abreast, J. Mark and Tom climbed over the rail on the leeward side of our ship un-noticed by the pirate crew. The colonel flashed the thumbs up sign as he donned his shirt and moved to a position amidship. Tom ducked beside Bama Red and scrambled to his position as well.

The pirates fired a cannon shot across our bow, and at that moment I threw the wheel to turn into the four master and called for all ahead full. Our ship spun and surged forward as the pirates scrambled to bring their canons to bear. Tom leaped to his feet and began firing the gatling gun, raking the deck of our adversary while Bill attached the last wire from the charges and signaled ready. He drew the plunger to full hight and leaned to the ready. The rest of us began rapidly picking off individual sailors with the help of some of our own crew using rifles from our arsenal that had been stowed with the wagons.

The spar had worked to the colonel's satisfaction and the wicked grin on his face was visible as he fired his big rifle again and again. The result was such that our attackers were caught off guard and now found themselves totally on the defensive. Our screws were driving the steamer forward at such a rate that the wind driven ship was growing larger and larger and now we could see the terror on the faces of the men who only moments ago had assumed us to be an easy prize. Less than a hundred feet from the collision point, I called for half speed astern to prevent us from driving the bow of the ship deep into the hull of our target which might have caused our vessel to be pulled down with the wreckage. I turned into the other ship at an even sharper angle, cutting our speed a little more with the change in course.

We now were almost at right angles to the other ship which was now wallowing at almost a standstill. The spar would strike her at almost center amidships.

Three! Two! ONE!!! BOOM!!!

The Captain called for full reverse as we were showered with a spray of water and then smoke billowed. The explosives had not merely punched a hole in her hull, but had broken her nearly in two. Lifeboats hit the water as we backed away.

I approached the Captain- "We agreed to put the prisoners off when we met the next ship. The time's now, I say."

He looked at me like I had two heads "They'll be killed at best or die at sea at worst."

I shrugged, "Well, I hate to break a promise. and to be fair the breeze is pushing towards land, They should make landfall in a couple of days regardless."

Blackwater joined in "J. Mark, this is a bad idea. If they survive, they'll blame you for this as well and we'll be fighting 'em again-who knows where."

I considered his point. "Okay, then after we disembark, Captain take them and drop them off as far south as you go, then steam up to meet us in Vera Cruz. Better?"

Blackwater nodded "That'll do."

Blackwater , looked at the broken up ship . then walked over to me and ask " ya think , ya made em big enough ? "

the water had focused the blast a bit more than I had thought it would , there could be something to this shaped charge thing

everyone , on deck was soaked from the wall of water falling back after the explosion .

I went to secure the gattling gun , and get it cleaned up and packed away , so it would be ready , when we needed it again

"Dang Bill," I said, "You need to teach me some demolitions! That was pretty impressive!"

Bill of course just shook his head and grinned real big, "Sure, but can ya help me clean up this here Gatling gun and store it away........"

To say that I would be more that happy to get back on dry ground would be an under statement.......I would be DELIGHTED to get off this floating coffin of death ! It was something I could not talk to, something I could not figure out, something I could not relate to and that undermined me greatly.

Plus each time I walked about this damned thing, it was moving....underneath my steps. I would open a door and see the metal floor there and go to step on it and suddenly it was gone and found myself falling only to come to a crash as the steel floor came up to meet me hard and trying to break my bones ! Oh how I wanted off this floating steel box of death !

Always getting lost, because the ladders all over the place would lead to where I didn't want to go.....some I thought where actually taking me into hell it's self ! Others I could not get the door's to open, no matter how I tried. But, there was one....I found one ladder and an open door one night that lead to the upper deck, and there I saw the stars and smelled the cool sea breeze in my long hair. I had my meal there and then, even when it rained, I slept there.

Like Hawk, I was unwilling to go below deck, and from my perch above the wheelhouse, I could see a few miles further than those on the deck.

So, after several days at sea, I was quite pleased to see a thin brown line appear on the horizon, stretching to each side. With a shout to no one in particular, I hopped down on the deck near the wheel, and turned to see the ships captain. One look at my face and he growled, "Aye, we'll be in the ropes by night. Be glad to see the lot of you gone, though I wish no ill will."

I thanked him, though as I spun I thought maybe an apology might have been more appropriate, and went to find the others. In a few more minutes the coast would be visible from the main deck as well.

Though it would be a couple hours yet before we could make out any of the details on the shore.

Our captain had found a good cove with deep bottom to anchor the ship. I had devised a plan to offload the wagons and livestock in the event we were unable to dock. By lashing the four ship's lifeboats together, we created a raft that could shuttle our equipment and livestock to shore. Although the horses for the most part were well seasoned and well trained, a few of them balked at being hoisted over the side and some were not too happy with the motion of our makeshift raft. All the same, we were able to get everything to shore with a minimum of difficulty.

To everyone's surprise, Hawk leaped into the water and swam to shore, almost before the anchor hit bottom. "I'll not spend another minute on that confounded seagoin' monster!" he shouted when he reached the shore. "Make sure you get my trappin's off that evil thing!"

The rest of us and the crew laughed and some even cheered when our Indian friend reached dry land.

"Colonel! Can we take a day to get our land legs back?" Cody asked, hoping we'd have time to plan and get our bearings as well.

Tom added, "I kinda' makes sense if ya' think about it."

"Set a watch on the ridge above the cove!" the colonel replied. "Two hours on and everyone but Bama takes a turn, starting now." He looked around and grinned, "If we can stay hidden for a while, or at least if we can get inland without being seen, all the better."

Bama began to protest, but I put a stop to that right away. "You don't need to be traipsing up and down that ridge. You DO need to be down here telling us how to freight this gear, 'cause Bill will need to stand watch some and the rest of us will need to work to get it all loaded."

That seemed to satisfy Bama, and the rest of us set about getting a camp set up and organizing our belongings.

I rode out with the raft before the last of our gear was loaded onto it and gave the captain a small leather bag that held a good number of gold double eagles. "Give these to the crew," I told him. "The company will pay you well for this voyage, but you'll have to put in somewhere down the coast for water and supplies." I grinned and added, "See that they know to say nothing of this leg of the trip, or anything about Vera Cruz." I looked at him and made my intentions clear, "There will be more for all of you if everything is done to my liking."

He nodded as I shook his hand and I turned to the rail and descended back to the raft.

Once the camp details were hammered out I saddled my horse and slipped my sharps into the scabbard. Some fresh meat would be a good complement to our return to dry land. Besides a little scouting of the area and some exercise would do me good. I told Blackwater to take charge and my plans as well as to not expect me back for about 6 hours.

I rode for a bit, perhaps a few miles or more south and then turned back and swung out on a path that would take me a few miles out from camp and return me to the beach a few miles north of our position. The land was richer than I had imagined it would be. There were numerous small animals and had the men liked snake meat, we could have filled our bellies many times over. But aside from Hawk and myself, I suspected the rest of the group would prefer something a bit more common. As dusk approached I found a high spot from which I could see a few likely areas for big game. I settled in and as the sun began to set I saw a Mule deer edging out of cover. She wasn't big, but that wasn't a problem. I felt no wind so a simple adjustment on my sight and I shouldered the Sharps and fired. The deer dropped in it's tracks and I put the Sharps away, and headed to retrieve my kill.

I had been on watch , wher the Col slipped out of camp , I watched him ride out to the south , I figured , that he was gonna make a arc

so he should be coming back from the north , as dusk approched , I heard a rifle boom off that way , should not be long before his return

I had taken a couple of pistols , that needed a bit of attention with me , they were just fine now , so I setteled in to watch the trail to the north

there had not been much of any thing moving as far , as you could see , all day

I noticed some movement off to the south , just a glint , way off in the distance , that was gonna take a bit of watching , to sort out what cuased it

Cody was making his way up to the lookout , I cuaght his attention and told him to stay low as he came up

I figured 2 sets of eyes was gonna be better than one , as we needed to watch both ways , just in case

The doe was bigger than I had thought and dressed out about the weight of a fair sized man, maybe 160 pounds or so. I tossed her over my saddle and walked back towards camp leading my horse. After a while my bladder told me it was time to relieve myself, so I pulled out the Sharps and whizzed down the barrel and then shoved an oiled patch after it. No use in getting carried away with cleaning I thought, there would be time later. as I chambered a round and began to return the Sharps to the scabbard, my mare's ears went up on alert. I headed her into a dry wash and began to look around.

I was glad to be back on dry land, but for some reason very restless so i decided I'd go help Bill keep a lookout. As was reaching the top of the hill that Bill was using for a lookout I glanced up to see him motion for me to keep low. At that same moment I stepped on a rock and it rolled making me fall. I heard the rattler as I hit the ground but couldn't do anything about it; it struck. Lucky for me I was wearing a tall pair of leather boots that the snake's fangs couldn't penetrate. Bill came rushing and grabbed the thing before it could turn loose and strike again. One quick slice from his knife separated head from body. "Thanks Bill," I said, "that was too close for comfort. You reckon Hawk has any good recipes for rattlesnake?"

Well , why don't ya take it down to him , and ask , while you are there , would ya get the field glasses out of the wagon ?

there are 2 sets in there , Bring em both back with ya , I think you should watch to the north , I belive the Col , will be coming in that way

I need to see what is going on to the south , the glint , had to be a reflection off of a set of glasses , that means that we are being watched

by whom , and why , is unknown as of yet , but it ain't good

I had already made a good spot , behind a bush , where I could watch , without being seen , or having any flash off the glasses

whom ever was watching , would think , the watch had been called off , if they saw Cody , heading back to camp

I had made a couple of places , where a man could shoot from and not be seen , there was a wide open flat , they would have to cross to get to the camp , it would take some time to cross , even at a full gallop

as Cody , headed back , I slipped back up on top and settled in behind the brush , with the rifle pointed to the south ,

again , I saw a flash this time it was a bit closer , but , not much , too far to make much out in the fading light

My friends had brought my trappings with them from that noisy, hot, steel monster that had not life, and here I was again on Mother Earth and not on the deep water with no bottom. I was soo happy to be back on the ground and I hoped that it didn't show.

I felt I needed to get a fire start started and I remembered where we where.....and I know it had to be as near smokeless as possible, and low too. I had this weird feeling I couldn't sake, like something wasn't right. I couldn't pit my finger on it, but it was there....bugging me. With the fire going and the coffee on, I starting tending to the stock, damn it, this white men have got to start taking care of their on mounts for a change ! I put my Spirit bridle on my appaloosa and ground tied him and went back to the fire.

Cody was standing there with what looked to be a 7 foot rattler, and he asked me, "Hawk....Ya got any good rattle snake recipes ?" I took the snake and then I looked at the holes the fangs made in his boot tops and decided I was gonna have some fun.

"Yup......sure do, but with those holes in you're leg, you're not gonna be able to eat much." I told him, pointing to the snake bite as I skinned the rattler out. "Oh, he didn't go through my boot Hawk." Bill said. Without missing a lick I said to him, "Don't matter, if his venom touches you're hide and soaks in, that's just the same as him bitin' ya." and I tossed the skin's hide to Cody.

Bama Red came walking over and asked if he could fry up some of that rattler and I said sure he could. I asked if he had eaten ratter before and he said he had and he liked the taste of it, so I told him, that Cody had bite this one and it died from the bite, and that we might as well fry it up cause we don't know when the Colonel will be back. But we'll use small spits.....no heavy cooking gear in case we have to move out fast ! " I said.

Bama Red looked at me funny...... "You know something we don't....don't cha Hawk ?" I shrugged my shoulders and said....."I have this feeling" to which Bama Red replied ......"Oh Dear Lord !"

Hawk and his damned hunches! He might not know exactly what was ahead, but he for sure and certain knew that there was something amiss in our near future.

There was nothing to do but check all my gear - all the rigging on the wagons, pack mules and my personal gear. I made sure I had a few extra boxes of hot loads for my ten gauge, as well as pistol and rifle cartridges aplenty. Last thing I wanted to have to do was hunt ammo during a fight! I dug a small fire pit about ten to twelve inches deep and laid a small fire of old, dry branches that would create no smoke and the flame would be hidden by the depth of the pit. While the fire was burning down to a fine bed of coals, I dredged bite sized chunks of rattler in a batter of my own recipe. Flour, beer, salt and pepper, some crushed local chiles for flavor and heat and my secret ingredients and the batter and fire were both ready at the same time. The cast iron skillet went on the bed of coals with about an inch of oil in the skillet, just bubbling away like crazy.

Everyone was gonna get a good taste of Bama Red's beer-battered desert worm tonight!

After a short while in the wash, everything seemed to be quiet. I took out my glass and threw a handful of dust on the lens to hide any glare. I looked around and saw the camp, barely a mile away to my south and nothing else. I took one more look and saw a glint of light. The sun was fading quickly so I made a calculation and hopped up on the horse and headed to camp at an easy trot.

I dropped the deer gently by the fire and looked around "Hawk-there's something that needs checking out-I saw a reflection North of us-thought someone was maybe watching us. You want to go take a look?"

Hawk nodded and Cody took over the fire. I stashed the Sharps in the Wagon and picked up my Winchester and my Greener. I stripped the saddle off my horse and hobbled her.

Bama Red and Hawk knew I was slipping out of camp. I'd told Bama that I felt like there were others close by when he was dredging the snake in batter.

"Trouble?" was his response. Nothing more.

I shrugged and pointed north. Nothing else needed to be said. I gave Hawk the high sign and then signed my intentions from across the camp. He nodded and signed back that he would be on lookout and that he would tell the colonel. I nodded in agreement. I went to where I'd stashed my belongings in the wagon and pulled out a pair of Cheyenne moccasins, the knife that Bill had forged for me years ago, and a crossbow and several bolts I'd bought in San Diego before we left.

Tom looked at me quizzically as I slipped out of my boots and into the moccasins. I quietly explained and told him to watch the cove and to let Bill and Cody know what was up. "I ain't sure of anything, but I got a feeling we're not alone."

I headed out along the shore, using what cover there was to avoid being seen. Two miles up the coast, I turned inland and moved silently northeast, staying in the trees and undergrowth. The going was slow and I really had no idea who or what I might find, but a whiff of smoke told me that I'd been right about not being alone. As I moved forward the smell of smoke intensified, but I could tell that I'd moved around whoever it was too far to the north. By the way the breeze blew, I knew my quarry as now a little south and east of my position. Fifteen minutes later I could hear faint voices in the distance. I slowed even more and began searching for signs of lookouts and places to make my retreat if needed.

It took me another twenty minutes to get to where I could see the camp without being seen. It was almost dusk when I got my first view of the clearing, and now I moved at a snails pace to get a look at the occupants of the camp.

I saw Blackwater in edge of the clearing, hugging the darkness like a child would hug his Mother's apron strings. The men in the clearing looked the Mexican Army be it was kinda hard to be sure, in the dancing fire light of the camp, and the smell of the camp fire and pipe smoke. PIPE SMOKE ? There's an oddity ....a Mexican don't smoke a pipe that much, maybe a cigarette if that. And I never smelt a cigar at all.

I watched them carefully and noticed that Blackwater had and old fashioned crossbow with him. What's that whiteman doing now, trying to play injun ? Now aint the time ! I was thinking.

I pulled back the hammer of my Henry just in case......and started to line up the targets I would shoot and in what order. 1st one I would take out is the big man sitting down on the log, covering the glow from his smoke, sitting away from the fire some what, looking toward where Blackwater was...he seems to me to have seen war sometime in his life.

Next I would quickly take out the would standing right next to the fire, hitting him square in the chest with 2 rounds, and that would push him into the flames, effectively putting them out. Then I would swing over toward Blackward and we would hightail it out of there.

But I hoped that didn't have to happen. Just planning in case. I had my escape route planed so I was in good shape there....just needed to find out who these men where.

I could hear these men talking and and grumbling like solders would do where their commanding officers where not around to keep them busy. Some where talking bout how tired they where and how they wanted to sleep....others complained how their officers marched them to hard, never letting them mix with the local women along the patrols. Still yet another had a guitar and was picking a very nice Mexican ballad. All had their tents set and rifles set for the night. Pickets where posted and the officers mounts where hobbled so every thing was just picture perfect for us to jump them..........had we a mind too.

I quietly worked my way over to Blackwater and signed to him that I counted 20 foot infantry and 5 officers. He nodded and signed that he had counted 15 infantry by pointing to us and 1 officer by pointing to his shoulders, meaning shoulder boards. Blackwater signed to me that we best be getting back to camp before theses Mexicans wake up and find us or else we'll have a fire fight right here and now.

We got to the cove where our camp was and was met by Bama Red hold thunder at gut level. Tom was on guard at the time and came in with us as he had seen us in the moon light come in waving to him. "Raise the Colonel, Bill." Blackwater said, looking through a saddlebag. I got a drink of water, and passed the canteen to Blackwater. The Colonel showed up half asleep and as I knew he would be, I handed him the bottle of whiskey I had taken from Blackwater's saddlebag.

The Colonel took a healthy pull off the bottle, handed it back to me and said, "Put it away and report !" I looked at the Colonel in a rather conspicuous manner, then he said, "Report please Colonel Hawk." So I smiled.

"Mexican troopers up ahead sir.....patrol of about 35 infantry and 6 officers. Officers mounted ...infantry afoot. Looks like they are living off the land as they go. They sleep now Colonel....deep sleep. We should hightail it out of here before they wake or they will fight us. If one of them escapes and brings more troops down on us......."

The Col , was not real happy , when I rolled him out , next time , I will just use a big bucket of water

The moon was full and bright , gonna make it a bit hard to get out , without being seen , everyone was back in camp

I had stayed on lookout , until everyone had returned , then came down to , hear what had been found ,

depending on the decision to try to slip out or to overrun the other camp , I felt , we needed someone on lookout , even though , I knew

I would be needed to drive one of the wagons , I had grapped a bite to eat , and moved into the shadows , watching for any movement

A good commander , would have , someone try to check out out camp , Not , being fimilar with thair command sturcture , 6 officers ,

with that size of unit , seemed to be a bit heavy , on command . living off the land , pretty much , ruled out it being a HQ element

as that would have a supply train , and tents fof the officers .

I shaved nice and close and put on my best suit of clothing. We were not going to attack a group of Mexican soldiers for being out on patrol. I handed my Sharps to Tom and sent him to a spot of cover. I explained that we were not going to start a fight when we had documentation that we were there at the request of the President. It was my intent to ride into their camp and minimize any potential for misunderstanding.

The Cols plan was fine , IF , it worked out that way . just in case I had several items close ,

It would be easyer to ride through thair lines , that fight through em , that would be thair call

I hoped , they would not look too close at the papers ,

being as the Military and Police , down here , were mostly out , for themselfs , it don't hurt to have a plan to resolve any issues

as the Col , was appearing to head over there tonite , we would have to have the wagons ready to move , when he got there

no reason to wait for light , if things went bad ,

I took a position on the high ground over the military camp. I'd been a little nervous on the climb up, figuring there was no way a military unit would camp under high ground without putting a sentry on it.

I found it empty though, and as I looked down at them I couldn't help but think how un-military they all looked. I mean, they were soldiers, but they weren't acting the way one expects soldiers to act in the field. Still, their complacency was good for us. Among other things, it meant we were probably in pretty tame territory. And it meant that whatever they were up to out here, they probably wouldn't want to be bothered with causing trouble for a group of gringo's.

They didn't have any wagons that I could see, but there were several mules and some equipment stacked near them. I used a glass I'd borrowed to take a look, and decided they must be a surveyor party or something. They had a couple long thin boxes that didn't match any military equipment I'd ever seen. Being a survey party would also explain the unusual number of officers for the small group. I had J Mark's Sharps and a cartridge belt, so I found a comfortable place to lay down where I could see most of the camp, and get a good rest for the rifle.

Before long J Mark rode up and hailed the camp. A couple soldiers, might have been officers, jumped up pretty fast like they were startled, but the rest of the group could barely be bothered to turn their head and look at him. One of the first walked over too J Mark and after a few minutes J Mark stepped out of the saddle and shook hands with the two that had jumped when they saw him. A third approached and apparently a short introduction was made, then the small group walked back to a fire where one of the officers appeared to produce a bottle.

It didn't look like I was going to need the Colonels sharps to cover an escape, so I laid it to the side and cut a sliver out of my tobacco plug and satisfied myself with it. It promised to be a boring evening watching them drink.

A little while later though, while I was amusing myself spitting on a small ant hill, the hairs on my neck told me something else was on the hill with me. I spit at the ant hill once or twice more while I thought about what to do. If I spun and found trouble and fired a gun, the jovial meeting the Colonel was having might take a turn south. They'd probably not be happy to find that he had a man on the high ground watching them. That sort of thing don't breed trust and good faith...

Finally I decided it must be Hawk, or someone else with no ill intent, as they'd not made a move I could hear beyond some part of my brain telling me they were there. So, I rolled up on one elbow and looked back.

I didn't see him at first, his skin was as brown as the rocks and hills around us. But his white hair gave him away too me, and I met his dark eyes. For a moment I was stunned, and then the old man smiled. His perfect white teeth snapped me back to a small fire and a wore out horse, what seemed like months or years ago, but was actually only a few weeks. The old man raised a hand with a necklace in it, so I sat up and reached out my hand. I realized about the time he handed it too me what the necklace was made of...

Human teeth. And not that long removed from their owner...

I looked up at the old man a bit more seriously now... And he smiled again, and pointed north. He made a few hand signals I understood to mean he'd found something, er, someone, that he had been looking for too. He patted a fairly fresh scalp on his belt, and smiled again. He had no weapons I could see beyond a small knife, and I couldn't help but imagine what a formidable warrior he must have been when young. He was apparently still formidable.

His gaze went over my shoulder and I turned to see J Mark getting to his feet with a few of the officers. They walked a short way toward the equipment by the mules, and one of them bent and retrieved a short leather tube, from which he produced several papers. They unrolled them and shifted them back and forth several times, and I stole a quick look through the glass again. They appeared to be looking at several maps, and I took this to mean the meeting was going well, and they'd bought the story the Colonel had given them.

I picked up the Sharps and the cartridge belt, and turned back to the old man. Hawk would get a kick out of this tough old warrior and his fine clothes, that were nearly 20 years out of style, though still clean and mended. I also didn't have enough sign language to ask him what the hell he was doing in Mexico now. The last time I'd met this old man he had given me good information, such as I could understand. And I thought we'd be better off for showing him some kindness. I made a signal to ask if the old man was hungry, and he made a signal back that I understood meant he was thirsty. For coffee or whiskey no doubt. I saw again that the old man had no tongue, and hoped Hawk could communicate with him. I hadn't a clue what tribe the old man was from, the last time I'd seen him was in Colorado, and now here he stood in Mexico. He could be from one of a dozen different nations the way he traveled. I was reminded of a tribe in Texas, or maybe it was New Mexico Territory... The men of the tribe weren't men until they could go 100 miles in one day, on foot.

I handed the old man back his necklace, and took one more look back at the camp where I saw one of the officers give a leather case to J Mark. They were shaking hands, and the meeting appeared nearly over. I moved back from the edge of the hill a bit and stood, motioning the old man to follow me, but he was already moving toward our camp.

I felt like I needed some coffee too, with some Tennessee cough syrup in it. This old man had unnerved me, for the second time.

I sighed real heavy when the Colonel said he wasn't going to attack this Mexicans. After watching these Mexicans a spell more, I realized that was a good idea, but to go and parlay with them like that ?

I was a Colonel too, this was the country I was raised in.....I know these people well and if there was one thing I knew, was not to turn you're back on a Mexican officer no matter what ! They would just as so as gut and scalp a man as look at him.

The Mexican Army feared us Apache. We are better horsemen that they are.......better warriors than they are......know Mother Earth better than they do......and are better shots with both arrow, and gun. And are deadly with a knife in a close fight. We know how to ambush and then run and disappear into the countywide, just to re-appear and hit them agin. We have even over come our fear of night fighting and have gotten the aid of the night spirits to helps us. Yes, the Mexican Army fears us Apache Warriors.

Tom had been frightened when Grandfather had come up on him. Grandfather meant him no harm......he just wanted to see what the white man was doing laying on the ground and spiting on ants. So I helped him to our camp and gave him some whiskey in small amounts to get down. And then we all sat and waited for the Colonel to come back to camp.

I sighed real heavy when the Colonel said he wasn't going to attack this Mexicans. After watching these Mexicans a spell more, I realized that was a good idea, but to go and parlay with them like that ?

I was a Colonel too, this was the country I was raised in.....I know these people well and if there was one thing I knew, was not to turn you're back on a Mexican officer no matter what ! They would just as so as gut and scalp a man as look at him.

The Mexican Army feared us Apache. We are better horsemen that they are.......better warriors than they are......know Mother Earth better than they do......and are better shots with both arrow, and gun. And are deadly with a knife in a close fight. We know how to ambush and then run and disappear into the countywide, just to re-appear and hit them agin. We have even over come our fear of night fighting and have gotten the aid of the night spirits to helps us. Yes, the Mexican Army fears us Apache Warriors.

Tom had been frightened when Grandfather had come up on him. Grandfather meant him no harm......he just wanted to see what the white man was doing laying on the ground and spiting on ants. So I helped him to our camp and gave him some whiskey in small amounts to get down. And then we all sat and waited for the Colonel to come back to camp. To all Apache, any old man of the Apache tribe is Grandfather, any old women is Grandmother and to call them that, you must take their hand and touch it to you're forehead as a sign of respect.

I rode back to our camp at a slow measured pace. Dealing with the Mexican military was a rather touchy proposition. This distance from any oversight they were free to do as they pleased. I had ridden in to try and bluff our way through and I was fairly certain that I had convinced them that we weren't worth the effort. I had asked for their charity and a bit of food and water, telling them that we were carrying heavy iron bars for the jail and construction equipment, but that we were poorly supplied and were to be paid our initial installment upon arrival in Mexico City.

As I entered camp I continued to keep my movements relaxed. I looked to to the woman and frowned "Tie up your hair and wear one of my shirts untucked. I don't want them to see a woman with us."

I didn't dismount though and rode close to the fire before stepping down. "Colonel Hawk, those gents appear to have little interest in us. If we were to ride out, do you think you could steal their horses tomorrow night?"

"Why yes Colonel J. Mark Flint, sir. I do believe I can. I would require the help of Tyrel Cody for that mission, as he is a good horse man also. I would also require some light rope we have and blankets that are in the supply wagon, along with 2 extra canteens."

Still mounted, and still by our small fire, the Colonel nodded his approval on all those things requested and off I went to made ready for tomorrow night. I didn't have much to do as far as prep god, but just the numbers of it made the job take until way into the night, even with Cody's help.

"Hawk...You folks have been around horses all you're lives. You play with them, you feed them , you even put them in you're homes, so I'm told." I looked up and nodded that's it true. " You know more about horses than any one here......why pick me ?"

"So do you Cody.....you don't know it yet. But I will show you tomorrow. But now, I will show this.....watch and ask what you don't know."

I laid the blanket out on the ground, and cut it into 12" squares, then I cut the light rope into 9" lengths. "For the hoofs....to keep the horses quite when we steal them". Then I took the 2 extra canteens we had and filled them with water after I had caught some urine of a mare in heat and mixed it with the water. "Cody......not for drinking ! Rub this on you're mare's butt from time to time. Any stud will follow you and so will the rest of the remuta."

"Ok Hawk. Sounds like a good plan, now what's next ?" Cody ask me.

"You will know when it happens....can't explain it more that ."

"Alright then Hawk. But say this plan of you're don't work......it goes south.......then what ?"

" You stampede the horses toward the camp and I start killing Mexican soldiers. Si ?"

"You're crazy, you know that right Hawk ?"

"Well Cody, you want to live forever ? "

When it came to playing nice with our adversaries, I was found sadly lacking in the social graces. I preferred to just walk up to one o' them jaspers, jam ole Thunder up under his jaw, squeeze the trigger and violently separate the subject's head from his shoulders. This move invariably gets everyone's attention and assures instantaneous future compliance.

But, J. Mark seemed to have a plan and hadn't killed us yet. Besides, I always rode for the brand, so I decided to make myself useful and patrol the camp area. Besides, it was good exercise for my new leg.

I put my Spirit bridle on my Appaloosa and a small blanket under him then his saddle, then a blanket over that.

"Cody, saddle up like this. This blanket over the saddle will keep the leather creaking down, if that noise does happen. And I don't want those horses smelling anything but that mare in heat sent when we use it."

We swung up into the saddles and then the darkness swallowed us up as we left our camp on our way to steal the Mexican horses. We rode for a while, not saying a word......looking around every bush, rock and weed expecting to see a rifle pointing at us.

We circled wide, just in case......didn't want to stir up a hornenet's nest just yet, so we reined upped and tied on those blanket squares I cut out earlier. I tied mine on and I helped Cody tie his on, and he looked up at me...."You recon this is gonna work ?"

I smiled and replied ,"Aint but one way to find out Cody ."

I could see Cody was worry but not fearful. Never met a man from Tennessee who was. Even if he was fearful, he would say so, but do what ever he was asked to do . I had never know him to shirk from an order or request and he was a dam good man in a fight. But this time he had he had to be sneaky......

With the hoofs covered, We rode in. The horses where tied on the line and didn't seen to perk up when we rode in and began untie the reins. We lead them slowly to our horses and then got the lead horse, we poured the mare's heat sent on Cody's horse's rear and he slowly rode out, while I held back. If there was going to be a fight.....I wanted some Mexicans !

Cody knew what he was doing and I saw surspised as how sneaky he could be at stealing horses. Hell, he was like a professional at this job ! And as before, with each rock, bush and weed we passed, I was checking for a rifle there. The sun was just starting to turn the black sky a dark purple when Cody and I retuned with 6 fresh horses. Now the Mexican officers will walk too !

everyone had been waiting for Hawk and Cody to return , all the wagons were ready to pull out

a large fire between our camps , made sure any one in the other camp was blind to what we were doing

ya think it be time to roll em out , while the other camp slept , we made our way past em , on to the open plains ahead

if any of them could read sign , they would blame the theft of the horses on the locals

we should have a good start on anyone , who attempted to follow us , just in case , I had the Bulldog , ready to go

We broke camp and moved out quietly over the ridge and onto a nearby wagon road before the sky had begun to brighten with the approach of the morning sun. Hawk and Cody did not return before our departure as the plan was to pick them up along the trail.

Antonia rode on the wagon box with Bama, dressed in an outfit suited for an aristocratic lady traveling in Mexico. The rest of us were wearing our usual traveling clothes, but only myself and Tom were openly armed. The colonel wore much the same clothing he had worn when he visited the soldiers' camp, but he had his pistol concealed inside the waistcoat. Bill rode the second wagon for now, a shotgun and two rifles concealed at his feet, all within easy reach should hostilities occur. He had also set up the Gatling gun in the bed of the wagon, somewhat camouflaged by the other gear we carried. Bama was similarly equipped except for Thunder protruding from the wagon box next to his stump.

The road wasn't bad considering that it was lightly used. It had seen wagons on occasion and perhaps many of the two wheeled Mexican carts that were the choice of most local inhabitants. There was no moon, but still there was enough starlight to allow us to follow the trail. Moving quietly meant that swiftness wasn't an option. We'd have to rely on our stealth to get us away from the soldiers to a distance where we could travel more rapidly. We would also have to wait for the coming dawn.

The colonel and Tom rode at the head of our little procession while I rode alongside Bill's wagon at the rear, dropping back often when the road narrowed or when I thought to check our back trail. Upon my return to the wagons after one of these short scouting trips, I found that Hawk and Cody had rejoined us, leading the six stolen horses.

I eased up next to Hawk and offered him my flask. "Any brands on them hay burners?" I asked.

He took a short pull on the flask and wiped his lips with the sleeve of his buckskin shirt. "None that I could see," he replied as he handed the liquor back with a shrug. "Only one of 'em is much more than a plug indian pony as far as I can tell. We'll get another look at em when we get a little daylight here in an hour or so."

Hawk and Cody had strung the reigns together and each one led three of the stolen horses. We had little to worry about until full daylight. It was unlikely that we would encounter any sort of patrol, or even another traveler of any kind until the sun rose a fair bit. These were not animals that could be harnessed and we had no extra harness anyway. We would have to dispose of them soon. We had mounts for everyone but Bama. I had sent his saddle horses by rail car back to my place in Tennessee to be cared for by my farm foreman until we returned from this adventure, if we ever did. If he figured on riding a horse while we were down here, I'd buy him one......or steal it if needed.

I rode down our back trail one more time. We'd covered about four miles by my reckoning, and I hadn't seen or heard anything behind us that would make me think we'd been discovered or even missed. When I rejoined the troop it was almost dawn. The road was lit well enough and barring some kind of explosion or gunfire, we were well out of earshot of the soldiers camp. "We can pick up the pace now, Colonel," I said when I reached the front of the line. "What's your plan for them stolen nags?"

"I'm thinking we should put Hawk to riding point now. If we can get another five or six miles behind us without meeting up with anyone, we'll turn the horses loose and scatter 'em as we go," J.Mark replied. "Let's get Hawk out front and let Tom lead the three horses for now."

I snapped him a lazy salute and dropped back to relay the message. Tom took the reigns of the horses and Hawk nudged his mount forward to speak to the colonel. They exchanged words and then our indian scout cantered off ahead and out of sight. The colonel signaled that we should now pick up the pace and everyone urged their horses into a faster gait.

Archived