SASS Wire Forum

Fools' Gold

I nudged my Appaloosa along toward the trees to the east and once there, I rode deep inside the trees, ground tied my mount, took my Henry rifle from it scabbard and slipped down the hill into the enemy's camp.

Slowly, I worked my way from tent to tent, not finding much of useful information, until I spotted what appeared to be a command and control tent. It was a bit bigger and fancier than the rest of the tents in that it had a covered porch flap that one could walk outside the tent it's self and yet remain dry in the rain. A wood burning stove inside the tent as will as air vents inside and something like a flooring.

There was a desk there with notes and drawings on it, some wrote in english, others wrote in spanish, still other wrote in a language I had never seen before. But one thing I knew the Colonel would be interested in...there was some papers that both in english and spanish talked about the jail where we where going to be working at, and evening a drawing. And although they writings did not mention it specifically, it did make mention of a captive "hire gun fighter " and why was he doing here, if not to join an other's army ? These papers and drawings, I gathered up and put them in my possibles bag for safe keeping and moved on.

I kept moving till I came upon their field hospital tent. Any unit large enough to have a field hospital has got to be very large indeed ......at lest Battalion size ! I shallowed hard as I thought of this is going to be a one way mission and started to move even slower than before......looking at every single thing and trying hard to remember every detail, if I make out alive.

Next I came to the remuta, where the horses would have been kept when the troopers where present, and I thank the Creator they where not, but the remuta was huge also. But that stand to figure. So back into the tents and then it hit me. They didn't have enough tents for Battalion size of men,....not even for a Division with some sleeping on the ground. These men where still actively recuiting and recuiting hard and wide as possible !

I next located the weapons cache, ......enfields, marlins, dynamite , and nitro ! I saw that and my eyes lit up as I thought of Chickasaw Bill and how he would love to get his hands on that and how it scared the hell out of me ! There most have been at least a thousand of both rifles, and I lost count of the cases of dynamite and nitro.

Peeking around the conner flap of the next tent, I saw a row of stakes.......what looked like firing squad stakes, but in the center tied to one with his head buried in his chest, was my friend Tom. Oh sweet Creator.......he looked like the devil had taken his due on him ! With one around I wanted to just dash out there, cut him loose, and take him back with me, but the Colonel's word's kept ringing in my ears. Sure enough....not more that 5 paces from Tom, a sentry walked past ! First one I had seen since I entered this camp. The sun would be up soon so it was time for me to leave, but first, I made a bird call to Tom the I was teaching him.

I made the call again, then again and when I was going to leave, Tom barely turned his head toward me and smiled slightly , so he knew I was there and help was on the way ! That lighted my spirit more than anything after seeing how much he had endured and I just made it out of camp in time to report back to the Colonel what I had seen.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we had got into the trees , waiting for Hawk to return from the scouting trip

I had an idea to scatter the camp , as we went in , scrounging around , I had found a few cases of 6lb Concreve rockets , laying about , un secured

The rockets , would cuase a big disturbance with the camp , these rockert were not real accutate , but they made a lot of noise

that would add to the confusion , and make our force appear to be much larger than it relly was

if we got lucky , they might hit the ammo dump and scatter the horses so they were afoot

Colonel Hawk returned to report. As he described his findings, I drew the camp in the dirt and he made corrections as I proceeded. He described the the armory and the remuda and the field hospital and Tom's current plight.

I looked at the finished map of lines in the dirt and stones here and there. The terrain was fairly flat with enough elevation changes to just cover up our presence and allow us to approach.

"Bill, can you get the Gatling into this position?" I asked pointing to the far side of the camp and adjacent to the horses.

He nodded "I can, but it is going to cut our field of fire down quite a bit."

"That's okay, Once I get this all laid out, if anyone objects we can look at other options." I said and Bill nodded.

"Colonel Hawk, can you take your lady friends into that low depression behind their latrines and wait-it's not a glamorous job, but it's important."

He looked "I can, whether I will . . ."

I shook my head and gave him a look "Colonel to Colonel-You are the man i need there-its where we're going to take Tom out of their camp."

He nodded "Then I will."

I continued, "You'll have a secondary target. If their Commander uses the latrine I want his throat slit."

"Cody, if you and Bama Red can take cover here on the west side of the camp with every long gun we can spare . . .

Red and Cody both gave me their curt nods.

Blackwater looked at me "Lay it out for me Colonel, I don't see it."

I grinned "Which is why they won't. Here are the horses" I said pointing to one rock. "Here is their armory. Hawk says it will blow to high heaven, The wind will blow the smoke across their camp like this." I said as I brushed my hand across the map. As I said, I ride in and demand Tom back. They laugh and your first shot will cut the rope on the inside of the remuda. Bill opens up with the Gatling and drives the horses into the camp. Cody and Bama shoot across the camp into their Armory as soon as the horses are in full stampede. As soon as the armory explodes, Bill you drive your wagon across this open gap to the cover here. Once you start everyone will keep their fire up until you get to the new position. Bama Red takes over driving and you sweep the camp across this way, leaving a path for Hawk and his ladies to go straight through to Tom's location, take out any guards and take Tom out the opposite side of the camp and to the wagon."

Blackwater frowned "I told you I was riding in with you."

I nodded. "I know. So the south wall of the old church basement is make of gold and covered with plaster, you all know the rest of the story. Now I'm unnecessary to complete the mission. I need a man that can cut a rope at 150 yards on the first shot, Blackwater, you can still do that. Then you take out anyone you can until the explosion. then ride like hell to here and wait for me."

He frowned and grumbled "No better than you can. Why are you even riding into their camp? You make this sound like a shooting gallery."

I sighed. "The white flag is your wind indicator for the first shot, besides, I might sweet talk them into giving me Tom back." I said with a grin

Blackwater gave me his "You ain't right" look and I continued. "Besides, I was seen at the President's on a few occasions - they are bound to have spies. If they recognize me, they'll pause and that'll cost 'em 1 maybe as much as 2 seconds."

Cody looked over the map "2 seconds in the center of the enemy, how many you figure you can take before they cut you to ribbons?"

"Four or five and I'll be moving. Straight for the Remuda. Bill try not to shoot me."

Chickasaw Bill grinned "I don't know Colonel Flint, Colonel Hawk might give me a promotion if I do." and he winked

"If you all understand what I want and why and their are no objections, Then I suggest we get to it. Otherwise speak up."

"Now Colonel," I said kind of serious like, "you know I'd follow you through the gates of Hell and I always follow orders to a T, but what you're planning is seriously liable to get you killed. I want Tom outta there more than I care about any durned gold and just as soon keep you alive too. It seems to me like we could place Bill and his Gatlin gun on the other side of that rise yonder. If a couple of us get on top of that rise and shoot a couple of guards, well they're bound to send out a patrol. We could lead em right to ol' Bill; I figure we ought to at least try and thin down the hurd afore we go runnin' in guns ablaze."

Col

I got 36 of them rockets , after they are set up and aimed , it will only take 1 person to launch em all ,

as a matter of fact , they can even be set up to delay , by adding a longer slow burn fuse to em , and there is some in the wagon

lot better chance of everyone coming out of this alive , a bit more danger to Tom , but not much more than what he is in now

Since , we ain't sure , just what side , this army is working for , it is best , we all get out alive , if possable

the gold will still be there , if we have to make another try for it , plus , there is another stash to pick up later

some one give me a hand getting these things ready to fire , , we can use the trees for a launching platform , just put em in the limbs

as soon as the rockets hit , them we go in , just sweep through on line

suprize , is still on our side , for the monent , but it will be light soon , and we will be discovered

I figure , our best chance is to attack , with everything we got , and do it soon

"Colonel!! Bill's got something there!" I interrupted. "If the padre here will set off the rockets as a distraction, we can keep their heads down a lot longer!"

Flint looked at me, "What are you thinkin'?"

"We still start the plan like you said. Who knows? Maybe you can get Tom back without a fight." I looked at the priest,"If the padre here will set off the rockets when I fire the first shot, it'll give us even better cover!" I stepped right in front of the priest and confronted him, "What do you say, Father? You can save a lot of lives this day if you work with us!"

The holy man nodded agreement,"Show me what to do," he said to Chickasaw Bill as they walked to the wagon.

I looked at each of my remaining cohorts. "It'll be sunrise in a few minutes. Cody, this work better for you?" He nodded. "Hawk! You good with this?"

Again a nod, "If it'll get Tom out safe and keep the rest of us alive, I'm all for it." He turned to the women and said,"Ladies, if you please?" and led the two women away.

I then turned back to the colonel. "When I cut that rope, I'm looking to bust that leader feller and his cronies next! You stay outta my line of fire!!" I offered my hand and a cigar from my case to my friend. "After that I'll be covering your sorry carcass from horseback and riding to get to you! You gutshoot that bastard if you get a chance. It'll save me some time getting to you."

"You figure I'll be taking some lead on this one?" the colonel asked as he lit the cigar.

"I think you're a damned fool to walk in there in the first place!" I studied his face for a response. "We've rode many a trail together. You got more raw nerve than any man I've know 'cept for maybe General Forrest." He chuckled. "This one though, you act like you want to get killed. Is it somethin' about you and that holy man?"

"Let's just say, I've got some things I need to settle for myself." He studied my reaction and grinned, "You take care of the men if I don't make it!"

"Okay! Let's get Bama into the wagon. With the padre settin' off those rockets, Cody can lay down cover fire and Bama and Bill can move quicker and create more havoc! Bama! You tell Bill when he gets back that he needs to really lay into that ammunition tent. Hawk says there's a bunch of nitro in there and you know how Bill likes to blow things up!"

J. Mark Flint nodded his approval and everyone set to their tasks. To me he said, "Bring a horse for Tom. I'll try to get mine as close to where he is as I can."

I didn't like this part, but there was little that could be done about it. Some lackey of their commander would surely try to take the colonel's horse. Hopefully, Flint could keep the mount close. If not, he'd have to shoot his way back to his mount and then make his way to where Tom was tied.

So, bold as brass, Colonel J. Mark Flint rode into the camp. When the first sentry tried to block his path, the colonel demanded to see the commanding officer immediately. Two men stepped out and led the way to the command tent. On the way to the tent, the colonel forced his path to where Tom was restrained. He stepped down from his horse and strode over to look at his man. "You all right?" he asked quietly.

Tom replied, "Right as rain, Colonel. Get the hell outta here."

"Just hold on." The colonel turned and saw the leader of this army approaching, trying to get dressed and blustering loudly as he came. Flint straightened and stalked forward, "Just what in hell do you mean by taking my help and abusing him this way?" He stomped straight up to the stunned commander and demanded loudly, "Release him this instant!"

Plans changed and for the better, I might add. before I headed into camp, Bama Red called me over and pulled a Calvary Sabre out of the wagon's hidden compartment. He handed it to me. "Bought it when you were in the bottle some years ago, figured it might be time to have it back. Bill sharpened it up for you and Hawk blessed it in some way."

I took it and tied the scabbard to my horse. "I'm a bit short on words, so I hope thank you will do."

With that I headed into the camp as if I owned the place I bullied my way through the sentries and headed to Tom's location shouting "Just what in hell do you mean by taking my help and abusing him this way?" I walked straight up to the stunned commander and demanded loudly, "Release him this instant!"

As he stopped fumbling with his buttons he straightened up. "You storm into my camp and presume to give me orders! I should kill you where you stand."

I grinned like a possum eating prickly pear "What do you have maybe 45-50 men, Don't hardly seem like a fair fight."

He haughtily replied "I have nearly 90 men. and I have no desire for a fair fight. We are done with your man, you may take his place."

I pointed my finger at him and started counting down from 90. He looked at me like I was crazy (which of course I am) When I reached 82, I fired both barrels of my derringer into his gut and began working with my Colts, all the while moving towards my horse and Tom. I vaguely heard the shot and then the rockets started and Bill opened up with the Gatling.

As my pistols ran dry I grabbed the saddle horn and hung myself on the side of my horse as I pulled the Winchester out of the pommel. As my mount wheeled and spun i fired like some bizarre fireworks spitting out death I managed to get close to Tom and snap the cross he was tied to off at the base with the weight of the horse behind me. I threw him over the saddle cutting him loose. I put my spurs to the horse as all hell broke loose. We rode headlong into the stampede of horses. When the last horse was past us, I saw Hawk and the ladies waiting and I eased Tom to the ground.

"Colonel Hawk get this man out of here!" I wheeled my horse around and grabbed a fresh rifle and began firing. When it ran dry, I dropped it and charged a clutch of remaining men with my sabre in hand I took out three men as I passed through, cutting hamstrings of the first two and the throat of the third. As I rode, I saw the armory and put it to my back, digging in my spurs and laying low along my mount's neck. In a moment, I crossed out of their line of sight and dropped to the ground behind the wagon, as my horse fell, fatally shot many times over. My clothes were covered in blood and powder burns. I retrieved my canteen and soaked my bandanna. I carefully began washing away the blood.

I looked over at Red after a moment "Everyone okay?" I asked

He nodded "Nothing worse than scratches and bruises from moving fast. You look like bloody hell though."

I pulled off my vest and shirt and wiped off more blood. "Don't think a drop of it is mine, so far I tossed my gear in the wagon and pulled a clean shirt from my bag and started pulling it on. Slowly our group had gathered and there was no sign of movement or life in the camp.

The Padre cried as he saw the damage we had inflicted and then looked at me "I remember you." he said as he held his chest "You are . . . "

I spoke softly "Padre, you remember a man I was, if you can't forget that, then Colonel Hawk is going to have to kill me."

He looked at me oddly "Por Que? I don't understand." I shrugged "Ask Colonel Hawk, he'll clear it up."

"Bueno Padre es asi" " "Well Padre its' like this., You recognize Colonel Flint, yes ?" "Reconoce elcoronel Flint, si?"

The Padre rubbing his chin nodded yes he does.

"The Colonel and I had an agreement that if you recognized him, I was to kill you."

"El coronel y yo tenia un acuerd que si usted lo reconoció, debía matarte."

The Padre's eyes widened and he stopped rubbing his chin with his now shaking hand.

"But my Mother beat this into me I was not to harm a man of the cloth ." I said.

"Pero mi mardre superar esto que yo era no hacerle cano a un miembro del clero."

"But it did not take."

"Perno No !"

I drew my dragoon sidearm and fired at the old gray haired priest standing before me. When the smoke had cleared, there he was, still standing, yet holding the bleeding side of his head.

"Now, get on that horse and ride like the wind and don't come back or I'll finish what I started !"

"Ahora, ! Que se vaya como el vinto y no vuelvas o que se termine el trabajo !"

One of the ladies stepped forward to give him a handkerchief to wrap around his had to stop the bleeding from what was left of his ear. Then he mounted up and rode off as fast as the horse would carry him. Then I turned to the Colonel.

"Well Colonel Flint.....you damned yankee....you done made me do the one thing I swore to my Creator I would never do and I got a front row seat in hell for that. Damned for sure........and since I'm damned I might as make good use of it, so here I am.......put 3 rounds into my chest like you did that old Padre. I'm just as guilty as he is. Go ahead and shoot. I aint drawing........

well gentlemen , before , we start feuding amoungst ourselfs

what do ya make of the dust cloud , moving towards us , from the south , there was a army encampment over that way

everyone , get reloaded , this is gonna get hot pretty fast ,

Col Flint , did you look at the papers Hawk brought back ?

What did they contain , I was busy reloading the gatling gun , and staging more ammo for the oncoming horsemen

not much chance of getting outta this without a big fight , we , won , this battle , but may have started a war

I looked at Bill

"Hawk never gave me any papers-what in the hell is going on here? I said in wonderment

He snapped back "Yer the murderous bastard that shot a priest."

"Hawk I told you if he recognized me that I'd kill him and for you to keep him away for his own good, Today I told him he'd best forget, or that you would have to kill me. When I told him to ask you what it means, I figured you would explain to him that forgetting me would be a sensible choice, not shoot him yourself, you damn fool. Now where are these damn papers?"

"YOU'RE STANDING ON' EM !" I shouted as I quickly grabbed my Henry and Winchester and ran to a carter the blast had made and waited for the army to arrive. I didn't have long to wait !

I shouted to Chickasaw Bill....."READY BILL ?"

"YUP, I'M GOLDEN !" Bill replied

"LADIES, GET TO THOSE TREES THERE, SHOOT ANYTHING THAT MOVES......QUICKLY NOW ! " I shouted over the thunder of the hooves of the horses as they where drawing nearer.

" SENORAS, LLEGAR ALOS ARBOLES Y CUALQUIERCOSA QUE SE MUEVE RAPIDAMENTE AHORA ! "

Then we all waited for the Colonel to read the papers he was standing on.

The papers were written in Spanish but bore the seals of the French government. The colonel shuffled quickly through them as Cody and I helped Tom to a defensive position near where the ammunition dump had exploded. I drug up some shattered lumber and a few sand bags as Cody checked over Tom's injuries.

"They'll be on us in a couple of minutes!" Bama called out as he turned the wagon to give Bill the best field of fire.

I shouted,"Bill!! Any of them rockets left?" I studied the approaching troops, "We get a couple of them off at ground level, it'll spook their horses and most of the riders too!"

Chickasaw Bill turned and grabbed two of the rockets from the bed of the wagon and hurried over to me with them. In a minute he had explained how to use them and returned to his position at the gatling gun. "I got some dynamite bundled and fused too!"

"Y'all just give me my pants and a rifle! Will ya?" Tom growled, brushing the attentions of Cody aside. "I'm in the mood to do some killin'!"

"Here's a rifle!" J. Mark laughed as he tossed Tom a new Winchester, "The pants'll hafta wait!"

Tom caught the rifle. "Obliged, Colonel!" he grinned and levered open the bolt a little to make sure it was loaded. To Cody he said, "Ain't nothin' busted, but there's some pieces been badly bent."

"These are papers authorizing the late commander to attempt the overthrow of the Mexican government with the promise of aid and support!" J. Mark muttered as he studied a document from the packet. "HOLD YOUR FIRE!!" he shouted as he stood and walked toward the charging soldiers, his arms raised, holding the papers over his head and waving them slowly.

The camp we had just attacked was plotting to overthrow Portofino Diaz. The papers should be our ticket out of this mess and into the next. If we returned with a heroes welcome, we would never have the freedom to retrieve and escape with the gold.

"¡No disparen ! Somos sus aliados . Acabamos derrotados los conspirar asesinato del presidente."

Now I just had to hope they were loyal to their President.

"MANTENGA ERES FUEGO !" I shouted to the ladies hiding in the trees behind and up above me. I only prayed to my Creator that they heard me and that the Colonel sure as hell had a plan because I was looking down the barrel at hell right now.

And hoped that the ladies didn't have a grudge against one of the riders !

At gunpoint I was lead to the man in charge. A Major in the Mexican Army who was short, overweight and rather scraggly looking for the most part. Most people might overlook him, but in his eyes I saw a ferocity that would not be ignored. I handed him the papers and started to speak when he muttered, "Silence the Gringo."

I ducked under a rifle butt that was swung at my head and managed to side step a few blows before he shouted "Halt" His men withdrew and I began to relax only to have a rifle butt strike me in the stomach. i manged to grab the gun and wrestle it away from the trooper before tossing it in the dirt. I looked at the Major "Cuando llegamos a la conclusión de nuestro negocio , este hombre y yo continuaremos nuestro negocio"

He frowned "You dare threaten my man?"

Switching to english I nodded "I do-those men kidnapped my friend and they are all dead. I am a personal friend of President Diaz and I will be sure he knows of your actions."

The Major sighed and sent a detachment to search the smouldering remains of the camp. "We will escort you to the President Mister . . ."

"Flint, Colonel J. Mark Flint."

His eyes gave him away as he recognized my name "Kill him" he shouted, but before the words were out of his mouth I had rushed his horse and pulled him to the ground. My bowie pressed lightly into his neck, a thin red line of blood oozing out. His men hesitated and I dragged him to his feet, never moving the knife.

"Yo estoy al mando , regresamos a la Ciudad de México a ver al presidente .
El mayor es un traidor - le ayudará y estará traidores ."

I eased the knife away and hit the major over the head with it. He collapsed like a sack of oats.

I pointed and soon one of the men tied him to his saddle. I remounted my horse

"Viva el Presidente Díaz"

I touched my spurs to my horse and was soon leading the Major's men to Mexico City

A Lieutenant rode up beside me and addressed me "Colonel Flint, the men want me to ask you a question." he said sheepishly. I nodded "Go ahead" He stumbled over finding the words

"They want to know if you single handedly wiped out that encampment." he averted his eyes when I turned to look.

I took a deep breath "You know who I am?"

"Si, it is said that you are a devil who cannot be killed and that you are capable of great generosity or great cruelty depending upon your mood."

I eased my horse to a stop. "And do you believe this?"

He spoke again "I believe that you are a very dangerous man, but that you have no reason to harm any of us except perhaps the Major."

I nodded "The President may deal with the Major as he sees fit. Tell your men what you believe, it is as close to the truth as anything I might say. We ride to Mexico City where I will present the Major to President Diaz-what happens after that will be the El Presidente's decision."

He looked at me "Did you wipe out that encampment by yourself, the men insist upon knowing."

I smiled "Yes, I did."

Fellers let's round up that gold while the Colonel has them Mexicans distracted. We can take it somewhere much more accessible to us and then come back and make sure the Colonel gets back to home soil safely. Blackwater one of us ought to track down Padre and make sure he don't talk to anyone if you know what I mean. Hawk you still with us or have you got other plans?

"Sargent Cody, Blackwater.....I will help you men revertive the gold and the Padre, but when this mission is done, I will go back to my people. You, Chickasaw Bill, Bama Red and Blackwater can spilt my share.....I want no part of it. But I gave my word and I will not back down.I will see the mission through to the end." I replied.

I was very upset......the Great Spirit was now telling me, no.....demanding me to cut all ties with my friends and it cut me to the core. We had rode for many years together. Stared down danger and even death together. And have killed many a Yankee together. Still.....I had to atone for my sins,and leaving my friends is the only way.

"Damn Hawk.....I mean Colonel Hawk, are you sure ? I mean..that's a lot of gold to walk away from ?" Cody asked. I didn't say anything.

Blackwater spoke up, "All right boys.....let's get this thing done ! "

I could see that my friend, Hawk, was in pain. I didn't know what to do or say, but I would speak to him about it after we got clear of the city for good. Flint was leading the soldiers away toward town and we needed to get back to the church as quickly as possible. "Bill!" called out. "You go with Hawk here and find that priest. 'Pache old friend, don't you kill him before I get to talk to him." I looked at the indian and watched as he shifted from one foot to the other uncomfortably. "I need him alive for now. You savie?"

Chickasaw Bill looked at me and shook his head gravely. "You sure you want to bring that sky pilot back with us?" He looked over at Hawk and shrugged,"My Apache friend here aims to scalp him next time he lays eyes on him."

"I expect you to convince him otherwise before the two of you run him down," I answered. "Hawk is a good man, but his temper can get the better of him now and then. Especially when he has The Great Spirit in his mind."

Cody walked up with a bundle. "Hey Tom!" he said,"I believe these belong to you!" He handed the wad of clothing to Tom who unrolled it to find his boots and gun rig enclosed.

Tom thanked him and started getting dressed. He glanced at the rest of us. "What the hell did I miss?"

"I'll fill you in on the way back to the church," Bama chuckled at the bemused look on Tom's face. "There's a lot to tell you about."

"Bill! Let's get movin'!" Hawk called as he strode toward the horses. "Blackwater! You see that the women get safely back to the church! They can wait for me there!"

"They'll be safe and sound when you get back," I assured him. "Ladies. Let's saddle up. It'll be gettin' along towards evening time we get back to town."

The two trackers rode out following the priest's trail. I didn't think they'd be long in tracking him down. It had only been about an hour since Hawk had chased him away. We gathered what ordinance we could load easily and some food from the smashed mess tent and rode away toward Mexico City. When we reached the church, I dismounted and walked into the courtyard. Nobody was there and I looked around carefully before returning to the street to signal the others to join me. The other wagon and the gear remained untouched. "Get some rest and a meal in you. We'll likely be working like mules as soon as darkness gets here to hide our movements."

"Tom!" Cody asked, a little concerned, "Are you in any condition to work?"

"I'll hold up my end," he replied. "I've had worse whoopin's from better hombres than that bunch!" He stepped down from his mount and eased onto a bench next to the wall. As he leaned back he winced a little. "My ribs and belly are a little tender, but I don't think there's anything busted." The two women sat beside him and began to open his shirt. The bruising was obvious.

"We will wrap his chest and he will be good in a day or two." the younger of the two said quietly.

"Cody! Bama! Let's have a look at that wall. Bring a couple of lanterns and a pick." I said as I turned for the stairs and began to descend.

It hurt to breath, it hurt to move my head, and it hurt to think. The ride back to town had taken almost all I'd had, and I'd wanted nothing more than to crawl in the wagon. Only my pride had kept me on old Hoss. And through the pain I'd thought to myself that he appeared to be stepping as easy as he could, knowing his rider was less than whole after all our time together.

When we reached town I wanted to drop from the horse and sleep for a week, but I couldn't leave everything to the others, so I was doing my best to appear able. There was one definite blessing today though, as the two girls Hawk had found were fussing over me quite a bit.

Cody had found my clothes, and my pistols, before we'd left that camp. But my money was gone, as was the watch. And no one had seen my rifle. I had my boots and my pistols though, and a shotgun and a belt full of shells someone had handed me. That was just as well. The way my body was feeling, and with my right eye swollen shut, I wouldn't have hit much with a rifle anyway.

Of everything I was missing, my hat was the biggest insult. My head was in no shape to start training another one.

After Blackwater had outlined a plan, Hawk's women led me back to our rooms, and one went for food as the other pulled my shirt off and began doctoring my ribs. I thought back over the last 24 hours.

I'd known I was only dreaming when I'd heard Hawk call to me in that camp, and after seeing him standing there in his easy manner I'd known I was delirious. My first clue it wasn't all a dream was the gunfire that erupted when the Colonel arrived, and cut down the snake. Even though he had spoken to me prior to shooting the snake, I'd blamed it and my reply on the delirium I was feeling.

I hadn't seen the coyote or the bear go down though. Nor had I seen them in the carnage afterward. There was a good chance they'd gone down in some other part of that camp, and I hadn't seen them, but I wasn't sure. I had a feeling I'd see that scarred face again, and I wanted to get even with that bear for the wooping I'd taken. I spent the time the women needed to wrap my chest and stomach committing their faces and their manner to my memory. I'd find them someday, somehow. I could not forgive the beatings I'd taken after the first polite conversation, tied to that post.

Despite the tenderness of the women, and their attention, all I wanted to do was sleep. So after they fed me I'd stretched out and let the darkness take me. Seemed like it had been only five minutes when one of them woke me and helped me sit up. The sky was dark, night had come, and the other pressed a cup of coffee into my hand. I tasted mescal as I gulped it down. The smaller of the two began rubbing a sweet smelling grease on the various cuts on my face, while the other refilled the coffee cup. I could almost see through my right eye again, but I couldn't focus on anything with it yet. After my third cup of coffee and alcohol I wasn't aching as bad, so we gathered our things and left the room. The larger of the two girls couldn't have reached five and half feet, but she was still carrying a rifle.

We made our way out to the street and down to the church, looking for the others. Blackwater walked up as we entered the church. "Cody found what we're after, and Bama is moving a wagon over to load it." He had that big hunting rifle in his hands. "I'm goin up into the bell tower, I can cover the yard and the stables from there." To the women he said, "Bring a bottle and some food, and join me up there. I'll likely stay up there until we're ready to leave town."

Once they'd gone he turned back to me, "Give Bama and Cody what help you can, then help them get everything back under cover in the stables." He looked concerned and lowered his voice a little. "Could be we're about to make ourselves comfortable for the rest of our lives. Or we could be digging this all out just to pay for our freedom," he finished with a scowl.

"I've asked Bama to remain with the wagons once they're loaded" he added, studying me. "Maybe you oughta crawl into the loft when y'all finish and stay where he can keep an eye on you too."

"A'ight" I answered. "This town looks better to me than it did before, but I'll still be glad when we're all together and moving again."

I looked Blackwater in the eye, "What are our chances? Will the Colonel get clear of those troops, and the President?"

I was a little shocked that the Mexican troops had so easily fallen in under my "command" At the Lieutenants each came forward, it became clear that the Major in command was not well liked by any of the troops. I made it clear to them, that I was not in command of them or the troops, but that the Major was indeed my prisoner and that I would return him to President Diaz.

All the while I was looking for an excuse to stop and buy the men some time to retrieve the gold. I'd managed a nice slow pace, and I pulled up an hour outside of town and stripped the saddle from my horse.

"Colonel, if we ride, we'll be in the city in less than two hours." one of the Lieutenant's said to me.

I lifted the Major off his horse and eased him to the ground. I cut loose his gag and gave him some water before responding.

"The Major has been riding tied across his saddle. I'm not here to kill him. I intend to camp here for the night and present the Major to El Presidente tomorrow as a birthday present."

at the mention of President Diaz's birthday he turned to the troops and ordered them to make camp. "We will camp here as well."

Soon tents were pitched and several small fires were going and the smell of their food was wafting across the air. I motioned for one of the young soldiers and indicated he should bring foor for his Major. He returned shortly and presented me a plate and left one for the Major.

I looked at the poor excuse for a man. "Major 'Kill him!' was your command regarding me. If I cut you loose, can I have your word as an officer that there will be no attempt to escape?"

The Major snarled at me "Gringo bastard!"

I set the plate on the ground. "Then lap it up like a dog you son of a bitch."

I was a bit concerned Hawk was gonna drop the preist at first sight , Blackwater , wanted him alive for some reason

Hawk was slowley warming up to the idea , of lettin him live , as long as He had a case of amenisha

we were closing in , from the age of the tracks , He could not be more than an hour ahead of us

I pulled alongside Hawk , and handed him a bottle of good Tennesee whiskey ,

Hawk , we need to sort out what is gonna happen , when we catch up to him ,

I am pretty sure , I can get him to forget most anything , with the proper convincing

I rode along with Chickasaw Bill talking my ear off, and I was trailing the drops of blood from the bandanna the ladies had given the Priest after I had shot his ear off. The sun was blazing hot and yet Bill just kept talking away and when he realized I wasn't listening to him, he handed me a bottle of his good sour mash.

After I pulled hard off his bottle, I wiped my mouth with my sleeve and nudged my Appaloosa forward just over a raise in the country side, I saw this figure resting by a rock outcropping . There was a small fire going and in the shadows dancing off the rocks, I saw a man dressing a wound.

I drew my Henry and threw up the peep sight, setting it for about 60 yards or so and drew at study bead. "You gonna kill him, just like that Hawk ?"

"Naw, why don't you just sash sase right on down there an parley with the Padre and I'll part you hair along with his."

I eased the hammer down as I knew Chickasaw had other plans that might be worth listening to.

Hawk , I don't know why Blackwater wants him alive , BUT , iffen he don't get a case of forgettin right fast , I am gonna take care if that real fast

ya , ain't gotta worry about , being held responsable , for what will happen in the after life

with that , I dropped the rains , of the gray , and headed towards the camp ,

Hawk , would not shoot me , of that I was sure , the Padre , well that was another thing

I left the long guns , with the horse , taking only , my pistols and the Arkansas Toothpick , that is what I would use , if things went bad

Hell , I am getting too old for this ,

I rode along with Chickasaw Bill talking my ear off, and I was trailing the drops of blood from the bandanna the ladies had given the Priest after I had shot his ear off. The sun was blazing hot and yet Bill just kept talking away and when he realized I wasn't listening to him, he handed me a bottle of his good sour mash.

After I pulled hard off his bottle, I wiped my mouth with my sleeve and nudged my Appaloosa forward just over a raise in the country side, I saw this figure resting by a rock outcropping . There was a small fire going and in the shadows dancing off the rocks, I saw a man dressing a wound.

I drew my Henry from it's scoreboard and threw up the peep sight, setting it for about 60 yards or so and drew at study bead. "You gonna kill him, just like that Hawk ?"

"Naw, why don't you just sash sase right on down there an parley with the Padre and I'll part you hair along with his."

I eased the hammer down as I knew Chickasaw had other plans that might be worth listening to.

Looked to me like there was a LOT more gold here than what the Colonel remembered, either that or someone else knew about this stash and hard added to it. After we had all we could load in the wagon I looked Tom and Red and said, "Guys, it looks to me like we're going to need another wagon and probably two to be safe. Tom you think you can drive another team?"

Morning came and we rode into Mexico City and straight to the Presidential Mansion. I dropped the Major, still tied up, at the north entrance and quickly told the guard who I was and that President Diaz would want to see the paperwork I was delivering. I was instructed to remove my sidearm and surrounded by Mexican soldiers, I handed him my revolver and hung my sabre upon my saddle.

"Your knife, as well." He commanded. I looked at him like he was a fool, then grudgingly handed it to him. We entered the South entrance and I was told to wait. I nodded and responded. "I'd like my gun and knife back first." He looked at me "They are not allowed, they will be returned when El Presidente says so." Tired of petty functionaries, I swept his feet out from under him and changed the trajectory of his fall with a left jab that snapped his head back and took away all arguments. I took my gun and knife back and disarmed him and threw the water from a vase on him.

"Now go get President Diaz, and tell him I'll not be disarmed again, and sure as hell not while trying to protect his presidency."

Hopefully, my actions would buy time for the gold removal. If not, maybe I would just take over this little country myself.

President Diaz entered the room without any guards. I bowed my head in a show of respect and extended a hand in greeting. He shook my hand and began to apologize for his man's behavior, but I cut him off "Presidente, it is of no importance-this however is of tremendous importance." I handed him the papers that Hawk had recovered and he began to look at them and then sat down, visibly upset.

"These men intend to overthrow me?"

I nodded, "They did, before I killed them all."

He looked at me "All?"

I explained the situation and th encampments capture of my man. I also described the engagement in very broad details, leaving out much of the detail as to how we accomplished our task.

After I finished "It seems that I owe you a debt of gratitude Colonel Flint- how can I repay you?"

I hesitated "My men are working on the excavations for the prison renovations, I should like the contract to be cancelled, they wish to return home."

President Diaz nodded "Of course, it is the least I can do. Is there something more, something perhaps for yourself?"

I smiled "Presidente, I am a simple man. If I could have the honor of escorting Antonia to the coast and returning with her to Spain, I would be fulfilled. Might you arrange for a ship to transport us under my direct command?"

He nodded, "It would have to be a private ship, however, I can have one at your disposal. This is all you ask in return for your service?"

I looked at him "I'd be honored to have your friendship. Nothing more."

He smiled and shook my hand "Then my friend, I wish you and your companions safe travels. When shall I tell Antonia that you will be leaving?"

"Three days."

Three days was either a very short or very long time. Depends upon your perspective. After speaking with Antonia I took my leave and headed to the nearest Cantina. After a time Bama Red arrived and made his way to the corner table I had seated myself at.

As he clomped over on his peg leg I thought back to just how much this man had been through and how far he had come in his recovery. I looked at his face as he sat down.

"Colonel, we have a complication." I looked at him and he continued. "There's a hell of a lot more gold than you expected. Some of it is Spanish Doubloons. We won't be able to remove it all. We're looking at 3 wagon loads so far and 2 more that we should be able to get out."

I advised him of the three days remaining and he responded "Well that's enough time to get the gold we can carry, but . . . "

I looked at him as he hesitated to finish "Spit it out Red." He took a deep breath "We also found 2 bodies in Confederate gear, both shot through the heart and the head. Everyone's wondering if it's your work. What should I tell them?"

I leaned back and swallowed a shot of tequila. "They were my traveling companions and it is my work. Take the bodies and put them in a wagon, we'll rebury them at sea."

Bama Red nodded "Okay, but Colonel, why did you kill them? They had their guns in flap holsters and it looks like murder."

"Well" I responded, "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like one, odds are it is a duck. Let me ask you a question-Assume for a moment that I murdered my friends, my partners in crime and I did it in cold blood back when that gold was hidden. Do you fear I would repeat such an act?"

Bama Red took a drink and thought a moment "Who you are now, no, I don't."

I poured us both another drink "Well Red, let's hope to hell you aren't the only one."

The two dead Confederate soldiers bodies stared out at Tom and Cody. They's been packed in salt and ash and wrapped in linen and heavy canvas.

"Some more of the colonel's work, I'll wager!" Bill chuckled as he entered the room, the "priest" in chains between him and Hawk.

Hawk stared down at the corpses and shook his head. "Dead folks just keep poppin' up in that man's wake," he muttered.

"We all have ghosts that await our return," I mused, "In this life AND the next!" I studied the faces of my companions. "Some of us did a hell of a lot worse than this. Others never face the choice of 'me or them' in our lifetimes," I continued as I thought of the times I'd had to make that choice. "Put 'em over by the other wall 'til we decide what's to be done with 'em."

"What are we gonna' do with this hombre?" Bill asked as he nodded in the direction of his captive. "I think I've figured out that he ain't really no sky pilot."

"He was settin' by a fire and sharpenin' this pig sticker when ol' Bill here drew down on him," Hawk observed, displaying a big skinning knife and a pistol rig. "He'd shed them robes of his and was wearin' a sidearm when we tracked him down."

"I think I'll go find the colonel and get a little better handle on what's goin' on," Bama said as he elbowed past the phony priest and the two trackers.

"See if you can find us another wagon!" Tom added as Bama disappeared around the corner and into the courtyard.

I looked at the prisoner and smiled, "Hawk! You may have got all worked over nothing. This feller looks kinda' familiar."

The little indian prodded the captive in the back with a pistol, "Set yer ass over there with them dead men!" He looked even more angry than when he'd had it out with J. Mark. "I may have even better reason to scalp you than before!"

"Blackwater, there's enough gold here to buy a good sized country!" Cody shook his head in almost disbelief. "How the hell are we gonna' keep this hidden?"

I looked around the room at the dead soldiers, the captive "priest", and the four remaining adventurers. "It's been hidden for all these years." I nodded toward the wall where the corpses and captive were. "Some of them died for it, some of them hid even more of it here, and the colonel only told us of it when he figured he'd never take it himself! Seems to me that if it was revealed and the story told, most folks still wouldn't believe it. We may have to spend some of it to get out of the country with the rest of it, and we may have to fight off, maybe even an army, to keep the rest, but this gold wants to stay hidden a while longer if you ask me."

"You really think we can get away with it?" Bill asked. "You talk like it has a mind of it's own."

"I didn't mean it that way. It's just that we've gotten this far and the stuff's still here. We've fought every kind of enemy and we're still standin'!" I looked at each of my friends, one at a time. I looked straight into their eyes. "I think we can stick together and keep our wits about us well enough to get out of here with more wealth than any of us could ever imagine, and I'm riskin' my neck to see it through!"

"It may be the death of us all!" Hawk chuckled. "Ah, hell! Who expects to live forever anyways!!"

"Let's get what we can of the rest of this onto the wagons and cover it with some of the construction gear!" Tom called as he grabbed a wheelbarrow and pushed it over to the excavation. "I'm guessing we're all about to become bullwhackers for a while!"

"I'll get us some grub started. It's liable to be a long night." Hawk turned to his prisoner, "You try to move and I'll scalp you with a dull knife!"

"You'd hafta' use his!" Bill exclaimed. "None of us has a dull knife!" Everyone laughed and the mood seemed to lift at that. "Cody! Help me get that other wagon rolled back so's we can finish loading out."

I studied the group as some set bout loading the treasure and the rest of us went about retrieving more. "Now we're all in," I thought to myself. "If it comes to it, we will live or die only by the luck of the draw!" I eased my old Remington in it's holster and shuddered a little. "I sure hope ol' Colonel Flint has got us a way outta' here!!"

I finally headed to the prison and went down to inspect the work. Blackwater greeted me first. "Red said you wanted the bodies in a wagon, we kind of figured that you might want to wait til we were done loading the gold."

I shook his hand "Good thinking-but there is no way we can take all this gold." I picked up a pick and headed to the back wall. I took me a minute to find it, but I traced around the mortar joints and pushed. Bill walked over and put his shoulder to it as well. The false door began to give finally and Tom came over and lent his shoulder as well.

"We'll need some lamps, but there's a cave at the end of this tunnel. We can stash as much as we want in here, then back fill the tunnel before closing the passage off. I figure the cave roof comes out underneath the hotel. I figure we'll just buy the hotel, and come back and excavate and remove the gold at our leisure."

Hawk still looked mad at me, so I went over to bury the hatchet. "Colonel Hawk, I suppose you deserve some answers."

"I reckon, I do." He said sullenly as he cast his eyes at the grey clad bodies.

"Those two men rode with me, they were under my command during the war. I murdered them both, I suppose. You see they were plotting to kill me and steal all of the gold. They hired a local man to do their dirty work and they paid him with some of the stolen gold. That's the gold hidden in your church wall. The three of them ambushed me and shot me in the back. You've seen the scars. They left me for dead, which was a bad mistake. I healed up enough and managed to catch up with them as they were moving some of the gold. so I shot them both."

Hawk looked at me "I've seen the scars."

"Your 'priest' took a bit longer to find and he took one in the chest, but a woman begged me to spare his life-said she was his sister and that he would devote his life to the priesthood if I spared him.- so I did. I didn't know if he had gone straight, so I didn't want him killed. Look like he didn't."

Hawk nodded "So it seems."

I looked at him for a moment "Colonel Hawk, I'm sorry I didn't share enough of this earlier-I do trust each and every one of you here, like my brothers"

Hawk looked at me "Didn't know you had any brothers."

I watched as Blackwater laid a hand on his shoulder "He doesn't-he killed them." Then he grinned and laughed.

I gave a half smile "That's not funny Blackwater."

well that kinda explains , WHY , he was wanted brought back alive , BUT , it would have been easyer to kill him out in the desert

Hawk , ya ain't got nuttin to worry bout in the afterlife , fer shootin him

as to who get to scalp him , I will flip ya for it , your coin and your call

right now , he can help move all that gold into the cave , he moved it once , from whomever , he stole it from , he can do it again

While there was no doubt in my mind that if the Colonel had killed two Confederates he had legitimate reason, it was good that he had explained himself; seemed to put the whole group at ease. Now we had to get the gold hid a little better and figure out how to get it out of old Mexico. I had been studying on that myself and decided I'd throw an idea out there.

"Well Hell, Colonel," I said, "if were going into the hotel business why don't we get into the cattle business too? We could buy several thousand head and drive 300 or 400 behind a couple of wagons, keeping the wagon tracks trampled down. If worse comes to worse we could use them like pack animals and ditch the wagons. Gonna take several trips anyway and would be a decent cover story. If none of y'all are interested in ranching I'd take my share of the gold and pay for the beeves myowndangself."

I was gettin around a little better... The work had helped loosen up some of the muscles that were objecting to doing their job.

But, after all the talk and unease about the bodies that had been found, and the gold we hadn't counted on, and the padre not being a padre...

I'd sort if drifted off in my thoughts, and stopped listening to the Colonel speak. One thing was still sticking with me. How were we gonna leave a city, having completed a construction project, with more wagons, tools, and supplies, than we brought?

And a quick count of heads, left mighty few to look after this padre. And someone would have to be looking after him at all times, with nothing else to distract them. We were going to be drawing a lot of attention with this wagon train as it was, we didn't need to have someone chained to a bench for people to talk about.

I had my thin knife in my hand, I hadn't even thought about it, I'd just drawn the knife. I didn't like working with a knife, I preferred to use my guns. But a gun in this basement would leave us all deaf for a few seconds, and my companions were all together too jumpy for me to up and fire a round without warning. I'd most likely wind up shot, or at the very least it'd cause a tense situation that required fast talking at a time when we weren't likely to be able to hear much of anything.

I was thinking a quick thrust of the knife over his hip from behind, the pain from the ruined kidney would paralyze him long enough for a second thrust under his ear, the point would come out under his other ear, and a quick push forward would end this liability we now had on our hands.

I took a step toward him, all eyes were on J. Mark.

Archived