SASS Wire Forum

97 Winchester Solid Frame Barrel Replacement

Cholla Hill Tirador

Is this possible by mere mortals such as myself? I have an old (1901)solid frame model I'd like with a shorter barrel but just can't bring myself to take a hacksaw to a 113 year old shotgun. However if I found a replacement barrel that had already been amputated, I might have the option of using it.

So is swapping barrels a big deal on a solid frame?

Thanks,

Cholla

It's not a big deal as long as you have a really good barrel vise with the proper blocks that have been acu-glassed for 97 barrels.(This allows you to properly grab the barrel and along with some rosin keeps the barrel from spinning in the vise) Plus a good receiver wrench with blocks to fill all the holes in the receiver. (This prevents the frame from warping or collapsing.) Those old 97 frames are butter soft. I say cut it. Unless the whole gun is pristine, then I'd recommend buying another to use. I have some old Solid Frame barrels with pipe wrench marks on them if you are hell bent on changing barrels.

Unless the gun is pristine condition or a "special" gun (trap, riot, black diamond, ect), cut it off and don't look back. The only reason that '97's command the prices that they do now is mainly due to CAS/SASS.

CS

Is this possible by mere mortals such as myself? I have an old (1901)solid frame model I'd like with a shorter barrel but just can't bring myself to take a hacksaw to a 113 year old shotgun. However if I found a replacement barrel that had already been amputated, I might have the option of using it.

So is swapping barrels a big deal on a solid frame?

Thanks,

Cholla

+1 .....Cut the barrel if it's just a shooter and not a 98% collectible. BUT

I advise you that, before you cut the barrel, be sure you know and understand the BATFE guidelines for barrel length. As I understand it, minimum legal barrel length for a shotgun is 18 inches, measured from the rear of the chamber, against the locked-up bolt face. You should check with the BATFE online or perhaps others here can advise how to measure for the cut. I'd advise cutting at least ~1/4 inch over the minimum allowable..

Part of my hesitation is that it appears the shotgun may have been used for some sort of duty. I say this because very neatly stamped on the underside of the receiver just behind the magazine tube is "C. J. Ratcliff". What do you guys think? Too, I actually have a takedown model which I don't have such hesitation about lopping off the barrel.

Maybe I'll just sell the solid frame and keep the takedown. Decisions, decisions....

Cholla

ETA- I understand about minimum barrel length and was leaning towards 20" minimum.

Archived