SASS Wire Forum

Jack Rabbits Galore

Back in my day all us west Texas boys and others shined rabbits at night. Jacks back in the depression era were horrendous pests and large numbers periodically occurred in the 50 and 60's. They were vermin to us as 8-10 ate as much as one cow. Plague has controlled the populations since then and I haven't shot one in decades. Be sure and watch the films!!

Oh, the screams from a certain segment of society if they tried that now would be epic!

There would likely be injunctions and more! Anyone remember that the earliest Bugs Bunny cartoons featured a very wily character named "Jack Rabbit"????

Used to have them around here. Haven't seen one in years.

Just don't try eatin' them things.... not only are they reeeeally short in nutritional value, it'll give ya a black eye. ;)

When I lived near Tucson in the 80's I worked with a guy that would go out and shoot a mess of those big old jack rabbits that run around the desert out there and then using a recipe from his German mother make a casserole type dish that was outstanding. I've never heard of it since then, but it was delicious.

I was told by a south Texan that the old timers would kill a jack, quarter it, split prickly pear pads and put a quarter in each pad. Sew the pads together with a couple of big thorns and throw them into the campfire. Said the cactus juice tenderized the meat so that it could be eaten.

I asked him if it tasted good and he said "Oh, Hell no. But if you were hungry enough you could eat it.

We always threw half to 3/4 grown jacks in with the cottontails and no one could tell the difference. Full grown jacks need to be parboiled or steamed prior to frying or other recipes. Really no different than what you need to do to an old tough fox squirrel.

Knew a good looking girl in college that was a good cool. Used to bring her rabbits she would bake into a pot pie. To this day I have fond memories of eating her Hare pie.

Archived