SASS Wire Forum

Need 97 Gunsmith

Bitterroot Jake, SASS #9532

I recently got myself a 1897 and am looking for a gunsmith familiar with them. I have always done my own action work but I have never used a 97 and have no idea where to start on one.

All help will be greatly appreciated

97's are awesome guns. I don't know anyone in your area but you might ask around at your local CAS club. Or you can just take a look at Marauder's site for some tune up tips. That might be enough for you depending on the shape of your particular gun. Good info for the basics.

Howdy Jake.

Good gunsmiths like Lassiter, Colt McCallister, Curly Bill Kelly and MANY others aren't just 'smoothers'. These guys check for safety issues, cracked or broken parts, bad timing, etc...

Allowing a good 97 smith to check out your SG is never a bad idea. Things need to work together in a safe manor and the good 97 smith can help assure your SG is in good shape before you start chuckin dynamite into the chamber.

..........Widder

+1 for what Widder is telling you

I have two, one done by Cowboy and Indian store and the other by Coyote Cap. Both turned out very nice. If I had another one done it would

go to Cowboy and Indian store for sure..

Hopefully you can find a smith close to you and not have to ship them out to someone. If the action works smooth and it ejects the empties when worked with authority you may be good to go. Who is in KY? Check your local club members as maybe they know of someone close. Get a copy of the complete takedown procedure, and marauder's website is a must see. The smiths mentioned above are excellent.

CODY Conagher the cowboy shop in Berkley Springs WV. Good honest gun smith.

Archived