SASS Wire Forum

Question on Ruger Single Sixes in .22

Widder, SASS #59054

One of my shooting Pards showed me one of his .22 Ruger SS last night that quickly caught my attention.

The rearward portion of the cylinder had been lathed and it was possible to see the rims of the .22 cartridges AND the empty chamber in front of the hammer.

This basically left NON-RECESSED rims.

AND, it allows his buckaroo grandson, and others, have visual inspections at the loading table to help ensure the empty chamber is in front of the firing pin.

QUESTION: Why don't Ruger make em like this?

Is there some sort of inherent problem that exist without those rims being recessed?

I'm thinking of having mine set up this way but would like some input from the Wire pards.

Thanks

..........Widder

Widowmaker, I believe and quite possibly could be wrong but the theory of recessing the rims on rimfires is to protect the shooter in case of the rim bursting. Not that I suggest you doing it but if you ever fire a LR in a magnum chamber you will see what I mean. I have seen high velocity rims split even in good chambers.

We mark them with fingernail polish. I have a couple of non altered 3 screws that I am not going to put to the lathe.

I like the idea of using the paint sticks like they use at the machine shop to mark the cylinders on each side of the one you leave empty that way if a paint stick mark is on each side of the top strap you know the chamber under the hammer is empty.

Another idea is to keep a dowel that will go all the way through to the bottom of the empty chamber put a mark on the dowel when it is fully inserted into an empty chamber and when you load put the dowel in through the barrel and if it goes all the way to the mark you know that it is on the empty chamber.

Middlefork Bob, not to be a "stick" in the mud but, using a dowel like that means you have just swept your hand with a loaded revolver every time you put the dowel down the barrel.

Although that is MUCH better than the certified(certifiable) pistol instructor who I saw turn the gun around and look down the barrel to see if the hammer was down on an empty chamber.............

I'm going to step WAY out on a limb here and guess Ruger doesn't make them that way because you would run the risk of peening the chambers during dry-fire. As they are now, with the recess, you can safely dry-fire.

I don't follow your logic, Dutch. The firing pin is still going to extend the same distance, stopping when it contacts a case rim or the chamber. How is the lack or addition of enclosing the case heads going to change that?

Hoody Dutch.

I thought about that but figured the firing pin only extended into the recess for the rim.

When the recess has been lowered, the body of the cylinder 'might' be distant enough that the firing pin won't touch it.

BUT, I haven't measured anything to be certain.

best regards,

..........Widder

That was purely a WAG, as I said... I'm going to step WAY out on a limb here...

Hey Pard, it happens to me all the time.

I get on the Marlin owners forum sometimes and nearly every topic I talk about makes me feel like I'm going out on a limb.

Sometimes, those limbs produce the best fruit.

..........Widder

Archived