SASS Wire Forum

Something I noticed. Smoking and "B" westerns

I knew for a long time that many stars smoked, but didn't smoke on-screen to keep a clean image. Roy Rogers was one, as were many TV western stars, never smoking during the show, but would be shown lighting up for a cigarrette commercial.

But seen, yet never noticed before, Tim Holt, a "B" western star of movies series, and even had his own comic book, smoked on screen. Not a cigarrette, but a pipe many times. MT

James Arness used to advertise L&Ms on his show, in costume, as well as in print media. As I remember, he said they did for smoking what the 45 auto did for shooting, and he would hold up the pistol. They didn't kill him but they got Amanda Blake who also used to appear in advertising for L&M..

I thought Amanda Blake died of AIDS...?

Correct

Blake, a one-time two-pack-a-day cigarette smoker, had surgery for oral cancer in 1977, and afterward made appearances throughout the country for the American Cancer Society. In 1984, she was the recipient of the society's annual Courage Award."

According to the New York Times, Amanda Blake died on August 16, 1989, from complications of AIDS.[4]

There was some confusion over the exact cause of her death. When she

died at Mercy General Hospital in Sacramento, California, a statement by

the hospital and some of her friends reported the cause of death as

cancer. Blake's death certificate, however, listed the immediate cause

as cardiopulmonary arrest due to liver failure and CMV (cytomegalovirus) hepatitis. CMV hepatitis is AIDS-related. These facts of her death from AIDS-related complications were also reported in People Magazine the same year she died, being detailed by other friends and her main doctor.

Yul Brynner

Richard Boone

John Wayne

Rory Calhoun

Sammy Davis Jr

Clark Gable

Dean Martin

Steve McQueen

Doug McClure

Patrick O'Neal

George Peppard

Robert Shaw

Barbara Stanwyck

Robert Taylor

Forrest Tucker

I read the Amanda Blake ( Miss Kitty ) did die of aids complications, she received some blood one time and that is how she contacted it, at the time they did not screen the blood like they do now a days, this is what I read, take it or leave it.

All for now JD Trampas

How she contracted HIV isn't terribly important. It is tragic.

I still remember seeing this:

Didja ever notice the constant drinking? Whiskey, whiskey and more whiskey all the time all day in every movie. It's no wonder that alchohol has killed more people in the last 50 yrs than all other drugs combined.Even more recent shows like Mad Men depict drinking alchohol as an all day every day in the office i to the 70's era.

Didja ever notice the constant drinking? Whiskey, whiskey and more whiskey all the time all day in every movie. It's no wonder that alchohol has killed more people in the last 50 yrs than all other drugs combined.Even more recent shows like Mad Men depict drinking alchohol as an all day every day in the office i to the 70's era.

Every show on TV today does it too. If there is a scene in an office, be it a business exec, politician, police chief, lawyer, banker, or whatever, ter's always a bottle of booze and a couple of glasses somewhere. It amazes me. I've eve gotten to the point I look around thew room to spot it. And I almost always do.

The lawyer has a small bar or shelf, the police captain keeps it in his desk, etc etc.

I can tell ya if I'd kept a bottle in my desk when I was a poleece captain, I wouldn't have been one for long.

I guess thats the real world according to Hollywood. :rolleyes:

Rumors are Tim Holt smoked a pipe to look mature.

Don't know if that is true but Tim smoked a pipe in real life as well.

With the outbreak of WWII, Tim Holt left Hollywood and joined the Army.

His service to his country earned him the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He also received the purple heart, ironically being injured on the last day of the war.

Yul Brynner

Richard Boone

John Wayne

Rory Calhoun

Sammy Davis Jr

Clark Gable

Dean Martin

Steve McQueen

Doug McClure

Patrick O'Neal

George Peppard

Robert Shaw

Barbara Stanwyck

Robert Taylor

Forrest Tucker

My alias, and friend John Russell also died of lung cancer. Even diagnosed, he continued to smoke. MT

MT, i know you have knowledge of this , nobody attended Tim Holt's funeral . Is it true or not ?

MT, i know you have knowledge of this , nobody attended Tim Holt's funeral . Is it true or not ?

That is untrue. Mr. Holt died at an early age, 54 of cancer. He did not want a formal funeral. Instead his casket was in a church on day of funeral. Besides his sons and wife, fans, and those that worked with him showed up, also at the cemetary were it was estimated over 500. He was a Bombadier in WW2 on B29s, a veteran, and his flag draped coffin was surrounded by the local VFW who provided the flag and accompied his casket to the cemetary.

There are few actors/actresses that did have no one in attendance, Eric Fleming is one. MT

Archived