SASS Wire Forum

Need a reloading bench info

My daughter lives a couple of hours away with her boyfriend, and they are not paticularly handy about building things. She has a Dillon SD still at my house and physically I am unable to build stuff the way I used to, so we need to locate a bench they can buy to use. I overbuild benches because I just do but I have looked at pictures of benches but can't really know how tough they are.

Any ideas? Experience? Ones to stay away from?

If you have a SAMs ,they had a really nice one last month.

I actually use both a Harbor Freight wood bench and the Sam's Club bench and both are pretty nice. The Harbor Freight bench is a little narrow so sometimes reloading pressures can make the bench feel unstable. Whereas, the Sam's Club item is VERY strong!

Harbor Freight has a "usual" 20% off discount - so - take that into account when pricing.

Also - the drawers in the HF bench are pretty darn small.

Here it is, it looks like a decent starting point.

http://www.harborfreight.com/workbench-with-4-drawers-60-hardwood-69054.html

Mad Dog, I have this one and it works GREAT! Inexpensive and built to take lots of abuse. Well made! I put all my reloaders on a 3/4" plywood platform with two holes drilled in the same place to match the two holes I drilled into the top of my work table and I can move my reloaders around as needed. Secure the platforms with long bolts and fender washers with wing nuts underneath. If I want to use the table for anything else, I just take off the reloader. Have it placed in a spare bedroom so reloading can be done year round. You can usually find it on sale for about $140 consistently. You can't build a better one for that kind of money. Harbor Freight usually has one on display so you can take a look at it before buying.

See you in a few weeks my friend!!!

Dan Diamond

Thanks for the info. Texted her to go by the Sam's club over there to check it out. Is it metal? Wood? There is room to attach it to the wall securely.

Hey Dan, looking forward to it!

She's looking into Harbor Freight too.

I used a set of heavy duty shelving units from Home Depot/Lowes. The bench ends up about 3' high and two units 4' long by 2' deep.

If you add a piece of 3/4 plywood to the top they make a great loading bench with no drawer in the way.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_101933-1281-CR4824_0__?productId=1000527&CAWELAID=1059847128

For a really strong commercial bench look at SEARS.

I keep debating whether to go with a SEARS bench or wood cabinets and cabinet top.

With the SEARS bench it is easy to make roll out bins and shelving to exactly match your needs. (There I go talking myself into a SEARS bench). Or you can even buy roll away tool cabinets if it meets your needs. I will post a photo of what I am talking about tomorrow.

One thing to consider with a bench with shelves is the handle on the press will prevent the drawer from being opened unless you mount the press on the end of the bench or use a strong mount such Dillons.

The Sam's bench is metal box frame and wood counter top.

Mad Dog,

Send me your phone number or email address and I will send you a pic of my setup.

Dan

(robwine@aol.com)

Sent you a PM

The Sam's bench is metal box frame and wood counter top.

I have one of those benches from SAMS. Super delux, almost felt bad when I scratched up the top. Works great with my reload era.

Spittoon

When I was on active duty and moving every now and again I used a wine rack that I got at Wally World or target. It was on of those steel wire frame shelving systems that use friction locks to hold the shelves in place and it had a wooden cutting board along the length. I used a single stage and progressive press on it. It only required a couple of bolts and washers to hold the board down and I added a small piece of wood for extra strength under the progressive press but it didn't really needed it. I'm pretty sure I used zip ties after one move because I couldn't locate the bolts. I don't recall one breaking or having any issues (not the press bolts but the bolts holding the want to be cutting board down).

It's amazing how little you need strength wise in a loading table. If the press doesn't move all is good.

I'm moved to Texas recently and my bench stayed at our last house because I couldn't justify an extra trip just for the bench even though I really wanted it and spent countless hours getting it perfect. Not to mention the cost to build it. You have to hate benches when all of your fathers before you built cabinets. Par jus ain't good enough when you know what a master craftsman would build.

I'm building a new bench but most features pale in comprason to previous builds but the top will be 1000 times nicier thanks to some free maple I got from a closed bowling ally and my buddy TS who loaned me his tools and time to refinish the maple. I will have to upgrade the cabinet frame someday.

Another old favorite of mine is second hand wooden desks. I actually have some presses on an old desk waiting for the new bench to be completed but its not the first time I've used an old desk.

Just about anything will work with the right washers and bolts.

And if you really want to go small/compact

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/frankford-arsenal/catalog.asp?product=Portable-Reloading-Stand

I reloaded off one of these for 4 years.

I picked mine up at Home Depot. Has roomy drawers , a sheet metal top, a peg board back, and a shelf on the top of the back. I don't remember the cost, but it's a dandy.

Knarley

I found this great workbench at Costco and bought two of them. Very sturdy and well built (but I removed the casters), and weighs about 450 pounds. Not sure if all Costco's have them, but they can tell you which one does. ...RR

Workbench.jpg

Archived