SASS Wire Forum

Mortar Man Humor

Subdeacon Joe

I didn't see any charges on the fins of that round. Either the boys south of the equator have a different ignitions system than Uncle Sam, or else pulling off ALL of the charge packets is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I suspect that there was a safety on that round that they did not remove and the round did not detonate. Makes for interesting video though.

Yup, looks like a staged stunt, but still funny as all get out. :P

Not a staged stunt, I saw the opposite happen many moons ago at a mortar range which will remain nameless. We were shooting 81mm at relatively close targets. The proper propellant charge was two bags of powder, which meant six of the bags had to be torn off before firing. A newby crew went to the firing point and their first round sounded a WHOLE lot louder than everyone else's! :o

Turns out that they forgot to remove the unneeded six bags of powder! :blink:

The range went cold while they processed whereabouts the round might have landed, which we all knew right away was somewhere well beyond the target area. Luckily the round struck an isolated wooded area where nobody was doing anything. We didn't even hear feedback of anybody in the area who heard anything unusual. Let's hear it for being lucky.

Yup, looks like a staged stunt, but still funny as all get out. :P

Not a staged stunt, I saw the opposite happen many moons ago at a mortar range which will remain nameless. We were shooting 81mm at relatively close targets. The proper propellant charge was two bags of powder, which meant six of the bags had to be torn off before firing. A newby crew went to the firing point and their first round sounded a WHOLE lot louder than everyone else's! :o

Turns out that they forgot to remove the unneeded six bags of powder! :blink:

The range went cold while they processed whereabouts the round might have landed, which we all knew right away was somewhere well beyond the target area. Luckily the round struck an isolated wooded area where nobody was doing anything. We didn't even hear feedback of anybody in the area who heard anything unusual. Let's hear it for being lucky.

Way back when when I was a lowly enlisted MP in the National Guard my platoon leader was a 2nd Lt who was an Artillery officer. As the story goes, when he was in an artillery unit, he managed to fire a 105mm round over the main highway that runs the length of Cape Cod one year during annual training. Oops :o

While we are telling war stories and the steel pots are in place, I will share a note with you.

Stationed somewhere in the mid west, there was to be a demonstration of an infantry/armor/air, task force for some visiting foreign dignitaries. They put up a viewing stand for the CG and his guest. We mud puppies got to sit on the grass and watch.

The scenario was that that there were a couple of tanks that would come out from behind the viewing stands, and attack the hillside's bunkers. Then there were a regiment of infantry that would come behind and set up a battle line. The weapons platoon and the 4.2 platoons would fire over the heads of the infantry and then two jets would fly over and drop napalm on the target area.

Everything went according to plan, except that when they laid in the mortars, they did not register on one gun, but rather each company registered on each #2 gun in each platoon. This caused the arc of the rounds to cross overhead. Now in that old black/brown boot army the rounds were loaded with VT fuses, so that when they came in close vicinity to each other the detonated. When the rounds were set off, as they crossed overhead they rained down shrapnel dangerously close to the viewing stand.

A Chinese fire drill entailed and a quick cease fire was called. Needless to say the CG did not look very happy and some of the guest had a look of genuine concern on their faces. How happy I was that I was not the first Sergeant in one of the offending companies.

I didn't see any charges on the fins of that round.

Even a charge zero round will still propel itself a hundred yard or so. The internal charge that detonates the outer bags is adequate for that.

As for the round not detonating, there is an internal safety that has to set with the initial force of being fired. The recoil if you will. This one didn't get that force.

No charges on the round. This is just the primer propelling it out of the tube. They are lucky that it didn't arm the detonator.

Archived