SASS Wire Forum

America's best sniper Chris Kyle assasinated

Six-Shot

I just finished reading his book: American Sniper. 160 confirmed kills, 2 silver stars, a bunch of bronze stars and a wife and 2 kids. A real tragedy. Looks like the shooter had mental illness issues and PTSD. Chris was trying to help him out.

He was murdered. I don't know if I'd classify it as an assassination.

He was murdered. I don't know if I'd classify it as an assassination.

This is what I was thinking. But....what does it take to be an assassination rather than murder?

Whatever it is, it's a damn shame.

If you accept the Merriam Webster definition:

: to murder (a usually prominent person) by sudden or secret attack often for political reasons

Then you have to declare Chris a prominent person (he probably would not have made that classification of himself)

And you have to postulate there were political motives behind the killing.

So, tragic, senseless, and motivated by a mental illness perhaps, but not an assassination.

RIP Chris, and deep condolences to the family.

GJ

gentlemen if we are going to play [semantics (noun) 1. the study of the meaning of words)], [assasinate (verb) 1. to murder as an assasin does] [assasin (noun) 1. a murderer who strikes suddenly 2. the murderer of a politically important person or prominent person]

I chose to exercise my first amendment right of free speech and literary license so I used the word assasinated because it was done suddenly and he was a prominent person. I didn't write the article and neither the author nor I implied there was any underlying political motive involved.

This is a sad day indeed.I also just finished reading his book.A real hero, and taking the time to help other veterans coming back from the Middle East even makes it more hard to accept his death.This country has lost one of its finest patriots.

HS

Archived