SASS Wire Forum

Left Extractor - Win 97

Hangry Bob

Im getting ready to replace the left extractor in my 1901 vintage Winchester 97 again. I originally replaced it a few months ago with one from Numrich. However, it snapped on the very first pump. The little bend on the arm of the extractor stuck out past the edge of the bolt, and was broken in half when it came into contact with the wall of the action. It wasn't sticking out just a little bit either, it was way out there. So I guess my question is, was this normal and I totally missed something, or was there something wrong with the new extractor?

Numrich newly manufactured extractors have a very poor reputation. Can you get one from Cowboys and Indian? Costs more, but worth it.

http://www.cowboysandindianstore.com/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=1

Good luck, GJ

Im getting ready to replace the left extractor in my 1901 vintage Winchester 97 again. I originally replaced it a few months ago with one from Numrich. However, it snapped on the very first pump. The little bend on the arm of the extractor stuck out past the edge of the bolt, and was broken in half when it came into contact with the wall of the action. It wasn't sticking out just a little bit either, it was way out there. So I guess my question is, was this normal and I totally missed something, or was there something wrong with the new extractor?

No, it's not normal for a quality part, but Numrich is a hit-or-miss operation. If Numrich is selling aftermarket replacement parts for guns, that's not what I would call a quality part and I personally would not buy it from them ... under any circumstances.

My experience is with Cody Conagher (Don Jones). He sells his own replacement left-hand extractor for the Winchester Model 1897 shotgun. Cody's reputation for quality work is well known. His website is:

Cody Conagher

If you buy something from him and have trouble with it, he'll make it good. He'll also counsel you if you have any installation issues.

As far as Cowboys and Indians, I'd buy from them without reservation too, based on the recommendations preceeding mine. Like Cody, they have a great reputation in CAS.

Cat Brules.

Numrich newly manufactured extractors have a very poor reputation. Can you get one from Cowboys and Indian? Costs more, but worth it.

http://www.cowboysan...e&category_id=1

Good luck, GJ

That was part of my question that I forgot to ask. I hear good things about the extractor from Cowboys and Indians. Is it true that their product requires very little if any fitting? The part I received from Numrich had what I immediately judged as a very excessive bend to the tail, but I passed it off as inexperience with the 97 as there seemed no way to adjust it without ruining the part. Thanks for the input fellas.

Cowboys and Indian’s. Also check out The Smith Shop http://www.thesmithshop.com/lhextractor.html . I have not used his left hand extractor, but his Whisper Springs are great! You may want to consider the 97’ hook screw he offers as well.

Tully

Put in my order to Evil Roy this morning. Got myself the six round kit, hook screw, and left extractor. I noticed that it says right in the description that the extractor is made for Evil Roy by Cowboys and Indians, yet Evil Roy sells it for 5 dollars less. I guess we will see how she goes. Most other things have already been replaced as this was a project gun, 73,xxx serial number with matching barrel. Had a very large bulge in the barrel, and coupled with the very low price, made it a good candidate for a winter project last year.

That was part of my question that I forgot to ask. I hear good things about the extractor from Cowboys and Indians. Is it true that their product requires very little if any fitting? The part I received from Numrich had what I immediately judged as a very excessive bend to the tail, but I passed it off as inexperience with the 97 as there seemed no way to adjust it without ruining the part. Thanks for the input fellas.

It requires fitting and know how. Use your old extractors as reference. Especially the height and width of the tab just behind the hook. I adjust the hook shape itself too to get the throw I want. Usually they hold the shell too tightly for my taste and I reshape them slightly.

Put in my order to Evil Roy this morning. Got myself the six round kit, hook screw, and left extractor. I noticed that it says right in the description that the extractor is made for Evil Roy by Cowboys and Indians, yet Evil Roy sells it for 5 dollars left. I guess we will see how she goes. Most other things have already been replaced as this was a project gun, 73,xxx serial number with matching barrel. Had a very large bulge in the barrel, and coupled with the very low price, made it a good candidate for a winter project last year.

His site sez OOS as in NADA :huh:

LG

• 1 month later...

I ordered two extra of these from IAC a few years ago. I just picked up a real Winchester project gun. once I got inside i found that the left extractor was broke at the tail. Can someone tell me if the IAC ones already have will fit. Also I have not been able to knock the pin out its really tight, any tips on getting it out. I did put a drop of balistol in the top to see if it would soak in some.

Also I have not been able to knock the pin out its really tight, any tips on getting it out. I did put a drop of balistol in the top to see if it would soak in some.

You need to have a good solid bench block on a solid bench. Any give in the setup will make it very difficult to drive out a tight pin. Then a good punch, and use enough hammer.

I ordered two extra of these from IAC a few years ago. I just picked up a real Winchester project gun. once I got inside i found that the left extractor was broke at the tail. Can someone tell me if the IAC ones already have will fit. Also I have not been able to knock the pin out its really tight, any tips on getting it out. I did put a drop of balistol in the top to see if it would soak in some.

You need to have a good solid bench block on a solid bench. Any give in the setup will make it very difficult to drive out a tight pin. Then a good punch, and use enough hammer.

YES, I have also found that this particular pin is not easy to break loose and knock out!! Flip the bolt over and try drifting it out with your punch from the opposite side. I don't believe it is tapered. Be careful (stee-on-steel) if you use a vise to either grip or support, so's not to damage the bolt . Try using an old piece of Berber, or other thin, dense carpet between the support and the bolt.and use your punch. The carpet has enough "give" to cushion the bolt and allow the pin to start to come out, while still allowing the firm support you need.

As you know, the left extractor tail IS the extractor spring. When the tail breaks, you have little or no spring action on that side, depending upon where it snaps off. Obviously, this can cause extraction problems, but I've found it causes significant ejection problems as well.

The following is just another fix, that you probably won't need if you can get an acceptable replacement part, (that is key, because good replacement parts didn't used to be available) but it is interesting to know, anyway:

This fix ain't rocket science, and I hesitate to mention it, because a person does need some measure of skill with a drill press, small diameter bits and working with gun steel to make it work without compounding the problems: You can salvage the old left side extractor, especially so if it broke off so that it still has a piece of the tail. (If the tail broke off completely, you can still salvage the extractor by filing a notch into the extractor body and drilling the bolt under the resulting "new tail.") Do this by drilling a small hole (not too deep!!) in the bolt underneath and near the end of where the tail stub would come in contact with the bolt. Insert a firm, small diameter coil spring (from Brownells, etc.) in the hole. Then reassemble the broken extractor back onto the bolt, with that spring underneath the broken tail stub. What you've done is to substitute a coil spring for the "spring" (the tail) that broke off the body of the extractor. This arrangement is not likely to break, but will have a propensity, over time, of getting gunked up. That's not a big issue, though.

I hope you get this fixed okay....sounds like you've found some good replacement parts and that you're on your way!!!

Cat Brules.

Just wanted to touch on this a little bit. The left extractors form Numrich are just plain garbage. I should know because I broke one and tried like hell to fit another one and it just aint right still. They were made with to short of a tail and to much of an arch and there not hardened properly. I just called "The Smith Shop" and there sending me out two properly made left extractors and two hardened action hook screws. He took my info down and said when they show up, then just drop a check in the mail back to them. Now thats the Cowboy way! What a great guy to deal with..

I found that with my early serial number, getting the left extractor fit "just so" wasn't as much of the issue ejecting as was the fact that I learned I need to cut my shells shorter. I cut an 1/8th inch off of my shells now and have no ejection problems, even when I put the broken extractor back in.

I found that with my early serial number, getting the left extractor fit "just so" wasn't as much of the issue ejecting as was the fact that I learned I need to cut my shells shorter. I cut an 1/8th inch off of my shells now and have no ejection problems, even when I put the broken extractor back in.

Cut the shells?? So how do you crimp them without the shot falling out the front? Im confused!!

• 3 weeks later...

I made adjustments to my mec 600jr to load the shorter shells as you would normal length shells. However, I have been told that you can make an over shot card and load them just like normal shells and it will have a "half" crimp. I have not tried this yet.

Much Obliged for the info.................I have just got the evil roy 97 kit today.......this is why I love Sasswire.......There's is always some one there willing to help you with the best advice you can get fom the experts............Have a great day and GOD bless.....................Tuco.

Archived