SASS Wire Forum

Fired!

Cash Duckett

I complained. After sitting in the waiting room for 30 minutes, and then the exam room for 1hour, 20 minutes, I overheard my doctor talking in the hallway just outside the door. At 1 hour 30 minutes, I heard them (my doctor, another man, and 4 young women), discussing McDonald's coffee vs. Starbuck's coffee. I opened the door and siad "What the hell is going on out here? I've been waiting 2 hours and you are out here talking about McDonald's coffee?" When the doctor came in with two nurses, who both tried to leave but weren't allowed to, told me I shouldn't use profanity. I told him I was sorry, but I was very upset at the lack of respect he has shown me today and at every appointment I've had with him. He hadn't looked at the test results we were meeting to go over, and had actually left them in his car! A few days later I got a letter stating that I have been removed from their patient list and must seek another doctor becase of my "breakdown". I have filed a complaint and will persue it passionatly!

Cash Duckett

You should notify the State medical board IMMEDIATELY.

And you should find a new doctor.

If you need an attorney, I suggest that you get one from a different locality than where the doctor practices.

Duffield

Yes - what a "jerk" - I sure would not put up

with that behavior from a Dr.

Make sure that all your medical records are

transferred to your new Dr. before you start

"going after" him.

- BB

A few days later I got a letter stating that I have been removed from their patient list and must seek another doctor becase of my "breakdown". I have filed a complaint and will persue it passionatly!

Cash Duckett

I hate to tell you Cash, but you are wasting your time. Time delay related to an appointment is not actionable. Being fired by the doctor is not actionable as long as they send you a letter saying you have 30 days to seek a new provider. It sucks, but that's the way it is. You can complain to the state medical board, but they will do nothing more than send the doctor a letter saying he had a patient complaint. They will take it no further. There has to be abandonment of the patient, or blatant malpractice before the board will take action.

The one thing I took pride in was seeing all patients within 15 minutes of their appointment time. I figure their time is just as valuable as mine. It isn't worth getting your drawers in a wad. Find another cardiologist and hope they are more timely. Life is too short.

There are however plenty of websites that you can post a review of your doctor. As long as every word you write is true, there's nothing wrong with giving a negative review. Might save someone else the hassle of finding out this doctor is a complete a$$!

A doctor is not a bus; you don't get a ticket to ride just 'cause you can pay your fare.

That said the actions of the doctor were unprofessional. It may not be "actionable behavior" in front of a regulator but if he ever has a bad result he's gonna get hit hard.

I used to work for an insurance company that wrote professional liability coverage on physicians. One day I had to visit a really large Orthopedic practice in Houston. Orthopods are notorious for office visit delays because they are very often called in for surgery as a result of accidents. To an extent OBs can have the same problem (as can many surgical/emergency specialized physicians). On the wall of the waiting room was a big "white board" with each doc's name on it and expected delay times. There was also a placard that said that if you can't wait see the receptionist and they'll get you a new appointment. I was pleased to see that this group saw their patient's time as valuable, too.

A couple of years ago I fired my GP because of unprofessional conduct by one of his employees. He never responded to my letter, even though we went to church together for several years.

Changing docs can be a pain in the butt.

SQQ

Okie, you are probably right. No matter, I will explain what happened to his supervisor, his fellow doctors and the medical board. I have spoken to a few of his other patients, which have had the same experiences, and they are moving too. We have filed a formal complaint also. This guy doesn't speak english well at all, very hard to understand.

CM, I will write a review, good advice, thank you.

It's no wonder I'm having heart issues when this guy makes me so mad!

Cash

Is he organized as a Limited Liability Company (LLC)?

If so, you can file a complaing with the local Better Business Bureau.

Duffield

Is he organized as a Limited Liability Company (LLC)?

If so, you can file a complaing with the local Better Business Bureau.

Duffield

The BBB is run by its members and will seldom take action against a member unless there are a bunch of similar complaints.

I've walked out of doctors' offices after 30 minutes and after telling the receptionist that I'm not waiting any longer and why. If I do that I try to make sure every other person in the waiting room hears me.

This area is crawling with doctors and it's never taken me longer that a day or two to find a new one. Even Kaiser Permanente will give me a new doctor if I ask for one and give them a reason.

And don't let that "breakdown" comment stand. It can come back to bite you.

ATTA BOY CASH !

The local VA Hospital had a primary care doctor, and after negative feed back on her, she was "Let Go" to purse other medical activities.

In other words, us vets got to gather and got her shitty ass fired !

Cash,

Oakie is correct, but there are possibly some options. If this practice was owned and operated by a hospital system, your complaint will be heard by their administration. Also, file a complaint with your insurance company and with your State Insurance Commission. This was not delay due to a heavy patient load, but simple laziness and a clouded set of priorities for the Physician. If this was a privately owned practice, send a registered letter asking for a complete list of financial partners......unless they wish to re-instate you as a patient. ;)

BSD

I have filed a complaint and will persue it passionatly!

Cash Duckett

Let's think about it for a minute. You are seeing a cardiologist for what I assume is a heart condition which I would think it would be a good idea from getting overly stressed out and straining your heart all the more.

You don't mention how good your former doctor is in his field. The better the Doctor the heavier his patient caseload is likely to be. Thus longer times waiting in the office.

When it comes to messing with my ticker I want the best Doc I can find even if it means putting up with half day office visits.

Don't poison the well until you find another good cardiologist.

Archived