SASS Wire Forum

16" trapper 73 questins

evil dogooder

Im contemplating on moving up to a 73 instead of my 92 rossi. My local ffl has a 16" trapper and ive been told they can hold ten. So my questions are. How do you modify it to hold ten?

What kind of accuracy can you expect out of one? Not talking sass ranges but as an actually carbine.

What is a fair price to pay for a nib?

Is there any down sides compared to a longer barrel?

Thanks

You've asked some personal preference questions as well as technical. The new build 16" Trappers will hold 10 38s without problem. 357s might be a little shaky.

Accuracy will be just as good from a rest as anything else. Off hand, you have a lighter barrel with shorter sight radius. You'll need to stand some steady.

A fair price?? I don't think anyone is gouging these days. You'll se them anywhere from 800 to a thousand bucks. Make your own best deal.

Shorter sight raidus means you have less room for error.

I personally like short barrels YMMV

Coffinmaker

My Cimarron 16" '73 holds ten (barely, but it does) 45LC with OAL of 1.59". It is made with a hollow magazine plug screw and a radically tapered mag spring that collapses inside itself at both ends. I will say that Uberti has been known to assemble some of these without those parts and they won't hold ten full length rounds, so if you have some dummy rounds you can load in the rifle to verify that might be wise. I like mine, but as Coffinmaker mentioned it does not hold quite as steady as my 19" carbines. I have not tested it for accuracy other than CAS use, but I can ding the Cody-Dixon targets at 80 yards or so with no problem. Like my 19" carbines, it does shoot high at CAS distances and the rear sight is not elevation-adjustable, so I added a brass bead on top of the front sight to lower POI. Dealer price is around $900 so expect to pay at least a grand for NIB.

Just make sure it holds 10 of what you shoot. I have a lot of experience with the 16" 73. They can be a pain in the backside. If I had the opportunity to start over, I would go with the 18" rifle.

My 2 cents.

Ringer

Just make sure it holds 10 of what you shoot. I have a lot of experience with the 16" 73. They can be a pain in the backside. If I had the opportunity to start over, I would go with the 18" rifle.

My 2 cents.

Ringer

they'll hold 10 .38s but 45s are little shaky; it'll need mods for that. I'm working Jim Bowie Oma mag spring for the 45s that's not quite perfected yet!

HW

they'll hold 10 .38s but 45s are little shaky; it'll need mods for that. I'm working Jim Bowie Oma mag spring for the 45s that's not quite perfected yet!

HW

Like I said, mine holds ten standard 250gr .45LC with no problems. I had another in 45LC that I sold, which also held ten with no problems.

Evil,

I have a 73 -- 20 inch octagon barrel and my wife has a 73 -- 16 inch carbine. We use them a "back ups" for each other. As has been said, if 38s, the rifle should hold 10. Jim Bowie reworked her's with a Gen 3 short stroke and I think he cut the spring in the feed tube just a tad. Anyway, never a problem holding 10 38s.

I have shot both and they a plenty accurate for SASS. The 20 inch heavy my be a little more accurate but at SASS speeds its your aim and hold that will make the difference (not the 1/2 inch accuracy). The 16 inch is a great benefit to my wife because after about 5 stages that heavy barrel really had the end of the gun wandering around. With the lighter and shorter gun she can shoot 8 stage in a day without arm fatigue. It hasn't been a problem for me for either gun.

One MAJOR point of caution. Both the 18 inch and the 16 inch CARBINES have junk sights. The front sight is a post and the rear sight is a cut slot. Target acquisition is POOR. To correct this put a medium buckhorn sight on the rear and modify the front sight to a bead. Jim Bowie did our conversion on the front sight but milling a dovetail and then "drifting in" a standard front beaded sight. I believe you can now buy a new front band with the beaded sight. But, the sights are junk and need to be corrected for you to be happy with the gun.

Good Luck, Conejo

While I understand that with the factory mag spring it will hold 10 45s; the spring is way too stiff. I did not state in my previous post that I set mine up for an 8 year old so that mag spring had to go and be replaced with one of reasonable tension. If you want the action short, slick and sweet, the factory mag spring is a POS and has to go hence the need for mods and another option...or one could shoot it long, stock, and stiff. Good day.

Its not that i have to get a 16" its just what my ffl has in stock. That or a 24" in 45 colt.

Personally i kinda like the trapper with its flip up rear sight. Its just cute.

I shingled a elderly gentlemans house two weekend ago and he just wont take no charge for labor and i wont take his money so we kinda compromised he gave me a gift certificate to the local toy store. I accepted with the conditions that he had to come shooting with me to a couple matches

e

As you've probably figured out by now whether or not a 16" trapper will hold ten is an iffy proposition. If you are buying it for a toy, then they are fun. If you are buying it for competition you will be better served buying a gun that is more flexible in the ammo it will hold. Say that you can just get ten rounds loaded when the ammo OAL is 1.570. You change bullet brands just before a match and load them like normal. Then you find out even thought the bullet weight is the same the bullet ogive is different so the OAL comes out to 1.580. That's only .010 but .010 time ten rounds is .100". That is more than enough to make the difference between loading nine and loading ten. One other thing, the 16" trappers have carbine butt stocks and are noticeably butt heavy. Again, if you are going to use it for competition you are far better off with a standard 19" carbine or a 20" Border Rifle.

Archived