SASS Wire Forum

Re-barreling an 1873

I'm getting to where I have too much time on my hands, but I was toying with the idea of changing the barrel on my 73 from 45 LC to 44-40. How difficult is that to do? Thanks in advance.

Might be cheaper to reline than to rebarrel. If that is any consideration. Certainly less machine work.

Good luck, GJ

I've changed barrels on several Marlins and so far never had a problem with headspace. Marlins set the headspace with the locking bolt. On a '73 I think setting the headspace would be the hardest part of the process. Changing the barrel itself is easy if you have a barrel vise and an action wrench. It can be done with a vise and a pipe wrench but you end up scratching something.

Been there done that,picked up a 45 colt barrel used here on the wire.

Turned out it wasn't much better that the one I had,that is till I had a gun smith in N.H.sleeve the chamber.

It wasn't that difficult to remove although I mostly shoot black powder from that rifle and had ten years of B P shot out of it.

Me and a pard just blocked the receiver in a vice and used a fairly thick piece of leather on the barrel and used a 14" water meter wrench. A smooth easy pressure and it turned right out.

The most amount of work was removing the fore arm,magazine tube and associated parts.

I had spoken to Happy Trails about head spacing, he indicated that in his experience it would be fairly close but to check it. As it turned out my head space was unchanged,guess I got lucky that and Hap was on the money as usuall. Adios Sgt. Jake

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to sell the .45 gun and buy a new/used one in .44-40? Just a thought. Check VTI Gunparts.....

73 carbine barrel $235.00. Rifle barrel $250.00, then you have to pay a gunsmith to do it unless you can do it yourself!

:) Rye

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to sell the .45 gun and buy a new/used one in .44-40? Just a thought. Check VTI Gunparts.....

73 carbine barrel $235.00. Rifle barrel $250.00, then you have to pay a gunsmith to do it unless you can do it yourself!

:) Rye

That's assuming VTI or anyone else actually has a barrel in stock. It is almost always cheaper to trade or sell than re-barrel UNLESS you are doing all the work yourself and have a barrel.

It is a semi-easy job. I've had two barrels from VTI. The shoulders were cut properly and required no modification.

Make sure to support the frame (keep the carrier in the mortise and block the outside around the mortise. Barrel should tighten about 1/8th turn.

Check clearance of extractor and headspace. You're done.

Archived