SASS Wire Forum

Possible trouble ahead

Cash Duckett

In Benton County, Arkansas, where I shoot twice a month, all gun ranges could be shut down by the County. All except, of course, law enforcement ranges. This is total nonsense. They cite safety, which there has never been an accident, and noise, which there has never been a complaint about our range. I just wrote letters to three of our JP's stating how I feel, and asking them to come out and see what we do before shutting us down. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Cash

Might be best for me to just write polite letters, I may not be the right person to confront these idiots. I did invite them out to shoot with us. Probably recourse from the Colorado movie incident. We'll be lucky to ever buy another AR rifle. I wonder how long before someone shows up to get my guns?

Cash

Put s sign on front gate saying "private property, access by invite only". If they show up, tell em to get lost. They wanna scare people is all. None of their business.

Put s sign on front gate saying "private property, access by invite only". If they show up, tell em to get lost. They wanna scare people is all. None of their business.

They can shut you down with zoning ordinances. Been done in other jurisdictions. Sounds like you need a local grass roots organization and NRA contact asap.

As liberal as Washington State is, we have very good gun laws. We have a range protection act, must issue concealed permit, etc. However, I know of one range where they kept getting sued by some developed, who eventually bankrupted them, and they closed. Some factions will try all angles to close a gun range.

Here's your Arkansas gun range protection law.

ARK. CODE ANN. § 16-105-502. Sport shooting ranges; exemptions from nuisance and noise pollution suits

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a person who operates or uses a sport shooting range in this state shall not be subject to civil liability or criminal prosecution for noise or noise pollution resulting from the operation or use of the range if the range is in compliance with noise control ordinances of local units of government that applied to the range and its operation at the time the range was constructed and began operation.

(B) A person who operates or uses a sport shooting range is not subject to an action for nuisance, and no court of the state may enjoin the use or operation of a range on the basis of noise or noise pollution, if the range is in compliance with noise control ordinances of units of local government that applied to the range and its operation at the time the range was constructed and began operation.

© A person who subsequently acquires title to or who owns real property adversely affected by the use of property with a permanently located sport shooting range shall not maintain a nuisance action against the person who owns the range to restrain, enjoin, or impede the use of the range unless there has been a substantial change in the nature of the use of the range or by a person using the range.

(d) Rules or regulations adopted by any state agency for establishing levels of noise allowable in the outdoor atmosphere shall not apply to a sport shooting range exempted from liability under this subchapter.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, nothing in this subchapter shall be construed to limit civil liability except in the limited case of noise pollution.

In Benton County, Arkansas, where I shoot twice a month, all gun ranges could be shut down by the County.

Cash

And just how "could" the sheriff close em down? What authority over shootin ranges does he have? None, I bet.

We don't have zoning ordnances where live.

We don't either but I have lived in some areas with very restrictive zoning that county commisioners changed apparently at their whim.

Did they say exactly why? Are you as dry as up here in Missouri, no rain in 2 months and like Colorado spark from anything could cause a fire?

While it may be private property there is number of ways that the local goverment can demand access to your property, or the cops.

Telling them to go pound sand is the worse thing you can do. They could then take action to make any ranges an unapproved use that requires a conditional use permit. Which they will never give.

Or they drop a dime to the EPA and they come out. They are going to want to know what your lead abatement plan is. Contaminating ground water, aquifers etc. then your out if business and faced with a fine and demand to abate which will be pricey.

Call the NRA. Work with your local councilman/supervisor whatever that represents your area.

Ike

Archived