SASS Wire Forum

Have you heard of this powder?

I have a bottle of a black powder substitute called 'Black Canyon Powder'. It is a BP sub and I think it was the forerunner of APP.

It was a solid block in the plastic jug when I got it from a friend who was cleaning out his stuff.

I have broken up the powder again and put moisture removers in the jug....

Does anyone recognize this powder and know about it?

Should I use it?

I am thinking to load about 5 rounds of the stuff and fire to see what happens....

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Adding moisture is a mistake.

----------------------The following is from a 2007 article.

Ascorbic Acid Based Powders

The earliest attempts at replacement in our day resulted in the ‘Golden Powder’ of the 1970's. It was made with ascorbic acid, which is Vitamin C, as the fuel. It was intensely hygroscopic, both before and after firing, sucking up water like a sponge. Exposure to moist air changed its shooting qualities enormously and shelf life was abysmal. It went exactly nowhere.

Development has continued in the last decade with Ascorbic Acid based powders although under different auspices and with better success. One product was Black Canyon powder, which was available for a couple of years. This powder was large grained, blackish, produced somewhat lower velocities compared to Black Powder but with less smoke when shot.

Both Black Canyon and CleanShot use Ascorbic Acid for fuel, although granulation is quite different. Only CleanShot is currently available.

JJJ,

I wouldn't bother with this stuff if I were you.

True enough it has become APP but it is about 5 generations back.

Black Cyn. was made by a company in (i think) Las Vegas and came out on the heels of the first run of Black Mag 3 out of (again I think) Florida.

Black cyn. was a strange sort of powder that soaked up water out of the air with ease and worked best with as much compression as you could give it. When loading a 45/70 if you loaded it one third at a time and compressed it each time you could get some quite impressive velocities.

Regular pistol ammo, as in 44spl and 45 Colt, that I had laying around for maybe 6 month would kind of launch the bullet and then sputter and flash as the remaining granuals burned.

In the shotgun so much powder would remain in the shell and burn that it would melt the plastic shell after it was ejected.

I think I may even have a can or two of this stuff laying around but I wouldn't waste my time trying to make it work.

I too have some Black Canyon around from the days of yore. I tried it in some .44 Mag loads and it went POP, fizzle sput. It also shot sparks out the barrel of a 20 inch carbine, and would start fires if you were shooting around dry grass. You can have mine if you want it.

Jake

Give it to DJ........... :lol:

Then HIDE :excl:

LG

If he does that, there will be no place far enough away to hide.. lol You are a rat.. lol hugs..

Use smokeless, JJJ

BMCS.. you are talking to the king of smoke.. no way will JJJ's use smokeless.. he is a purest.. lol...

I too have some Black Canyon around from the days of yore. I tried it in some .44 Mag loads and it went POP, fizzle sput. It also shot sparks out the barrel of a 20 inch carbine, and would start fires if you were shooting around dry grass. You can have mine if you want it.

Jake

Jakes, stop it.. he and I reload together.. I can see a really huge problem here.. he will blame it all on the girl.. lol

"BMCS.. you are talking to the king of smoke.. no way will JJJ's use smokeless.. he is a purest.. lol..." by Deja Vous

===================

JJJ has you fooled.

JJJ is here asking about Black canyon powder which was a failure in enough ways that it was discontinued after just two years or so. Yes it makes smoke but it is not real black powder and is just another substitute. A poor one at that. Black Canyon was developed to be a BP substitute with less smoke.

So be careful, JJJ is thinking and asking about substitutes. ;)

"BMCS.. you are talking to the king of smoke.. no way will JJJ's use smokeless.. he is a purest.. lol..." by Deja Vous

===================

JJJ has you fooled.

JJJ is here asking about Black canyon powder which was a failure in enough ways that it was discontinued after just two years or so. Yes it makes smoke but it is not real black powder and is just another substitute. A poor one at that. Black Canyon was developed to be a BP substitute with less smoke.

So be careful, JJJ is thinking and asking about substitutes. ;)

Boy you guys are brutal.......

I just hate throwing anything away that I might be able to use, sounds like I can't use this tho.... so I will bury it in the backyard, maybe it'll grow fireworks in time for the 4th?

I use APP and Goex and Schutzen......

so there.

:lol:

JJJ-D

Boy you guys are brutal.......

I just hate throwing anything away that I might be able to use, sounds like I can't use this tho.... so I will bury it in the backyard, maybe it'll grow fireworks in time for the 4th?

I use APP and Goex and Schutzen......

so there.

:lol:

JJJ-D

And he doesn't need to plant stuff for fireworks cuz he is fireworks to me.. lol... did I just say that out loud?

JJJ ,

I have another pound for ya. You know this stuff would probably work great if someone has a canon to shoot!

I wonder if it makes a good pizza topping?

JJJ ,

I have another pound for ya. You know this stuff would probably work great if someone has a canon to shoot!

I wonder if it makes a good pizza topping?

Next you will be suggesting I cook the pizza, right? lol... you guys are bad.. just sooooooooooooo bad.. lol

Glittery,

Your in luck! I found a canister of APP too! Now Miss Deja will have 2 pounds of pizza toppings!

I sure wish someone was bringing a canon to Thunder Valley! That would be a great way to get rid of this stuff! We could fire off some salutes in remembrance of our BP shooting pards, Laylow Curly, Red Sun & Old Scout.

Glittery,

Your in luck! I found a canister of APP too! Now Miss Deja will have 2 pounds of pizza toppings!

I sure wish someone was bringing a canon to Thunder Valley! That would be a great way to get rid of this stuff! We could fire off some salutes in remembrance of our BP shooting pards, Laylow Curly, Red Sun & Old Scout.

OM gosh are they really bringing a cannon? I would love to shoot one of those.. I got to see one at 5 Dogs and it was wonderful.. Pizza and cannons.. guns and friends.. and all of you guys being silly.. what a perfect day.. lol

Archived