SASS Wire Forum

Did anybody here

Yup. Grabbed the rifle and rushed out the door.

My visit to Lexington Green was very moving for me. It brought home to me, what these men did.

We get pretty complacent about our country's history sometimes, but standing there on the lawn

it came home and hit me pretty hard. A handful of men taking on the whole British Army, the strongest in the world. Pretty gutsy. Not many would do it today. :FlagAm:

My family lived in Concord for more than a decade and the most important shot heard round the world occured in Concord.

Lexington was trivial by comparison. The redcoats were shot at on the way back to Boston by most of the militia of MA.

IIRC there was only a company of local militia at Lexington Common. As the word got out, they came from all over and arrived all day long to harass the British on their way back from Concord.

What a couple of BARs would have done at the bridge.

Back before the Monday holiday changes, the 19th was a state holiday in Massachusetts and Maine. Since it was also my birthday, my family trekked up there to see the reenactment a few times. I have gone there a few times since. Very nice reenactment.

Then, as now, Boston and surrounds get all he press but a little known event fo the revolution was the rading of Fort WIlliam and Mary in Porstmouth, NH on Dec 14, 1774 in which rebels removed the fort's powder, arms, supplies and some cannon. That fort was later renamed to Fort Constitution.

What a couple of BARs would have done at the bridge.

...or even a couple of Winchesters, you pick the year, '66, 73', '94....

I'm old.... But I aint that danged old....

My visit to Lexington Green was very moving for me. It brought home to me, what these men did.

We get pretty complacent about our country's history sometimes, but standing there on the lawn

it came home and hit me pretty hard. A handful of men taking on the whole British Army, the strongest in the world. Pretty gutsy. Not many would do it today. :FlagAm:

AMEN!!! :FlagAm:

Archived