SASS Wire Forum

What is the most sought after style of .36 cal 1851?

Come On Christmas

Also how do the hollow base 38 Long Colts shoot thru em using conversion cylinders?

Who makes the mould for this projectile? Dick Dastardly where are you?

Just in dream stage at this point.

Shameless Womanizer

Hi Shameless

38 hollow based wadcutters shoot very well out of conversion cylinders.

I just use 38 special cases.

I usually load them with a target load of bullseye, leaving a little of the bullet protruding from the case.

I tried them once with black powder & had leading galore in the barrel.

Thought they might work well with 777, but never have tried it.

--Dawg

Dawg - so you just seat a 38 deeper in a 38 special case? Cool, I am glad I asked.

Jack- that is who Kirst reccommended. I emailed him already.

Sooo back to my other query. What style of 1851 works best for our game?

Do you guys use the gated or non gated version of converter? Ease of switching back and forth to cap n ball. If I am at a speedy quick club I wanna go to shooting cartridge after the third stage, especially if there are 6 stages in all.

Shameless

Shameless

Well ........ My choice is a purpose built Uberti 1851 Richards Mason Conversion in .38 Spl. Load regular .38 Spl ammunition and after a little tuning, excellent reliability. The Conversions built from BP guns, especially if authentic are great fun but usually suffer from reliability issues. Also, as posted, finding suitable bullets can be a real pain.

Coffinmaker

I use 148gr HB Wadcutters, as I bought the Remington brand bulk. The Remington has a very black lube that seems to work better than the Speer or Hornady. (The Remington requires a more frequent seating die cleanout). The Hornady leads more than the Speer, which leads a bit more than the Remington. (Using smokeless).

Seating the bullet in a 38 Special case with about 1/16 lead exposed still clears the length of the cylinder and satisfies the SASS requirement that the bullet be visible in a loaded cartridge. The conical hollowbase will be too long for a 38 Special loading, as it is designed for the 38LC case, it will be short enough in that case to fit within the cylinder length. The 148gr HBWC might be too long to seat in a 38LC case if the brass gets too thick near the base.

I prefer the rounded (non square) trigger guard type with the propper size of grip. :)

And the calibre of .36 ^_^

It seems that the Uberti brand has some that require a .380" ball instead of the more conventional .375" :unsure:

(because of this "quirk" I only use .380s which I have to cast myself) <_<

I bought Cap and Ball revolvers so's I could shoot balls using caps; ... I already had cartridge guns. :blink:

.... seems to me that the conversion cylinders are a lot more trouble than they are worth. <_<

Actually I like the '51 with its full length barl BUT if the girl we want to spend the most time with is the one we love, then perhaps it is a different story! The .36 I shoot the most has become the Pietta 1862 uhhh -61 model. I like the shorter barl for holster work. Pietta also makes the '51 in a short barl .44 that is my favorite shooting cap and ball revolver.

I have been shooting a pair of Uberti 1851 Richards Mason Open Top Conversion revolvers for 4 years or more. After a bit of tuning they shoot great! I shoot .38 Specials loaded plumb full of Schuetzen Ffg Black Powder and 158 grain bullets--the ones what have all that extra lube.

Point of Aim is Point of Impact with these revolvers.

• 2 weeks later...

Colt's Belt Model of 1851. However much I persoanally like the square-back trigger guard, if ya got fat fingers... get the round guard model! Mine barely fit. The '61 Navies are also real popular.

Colt's Belt Model of 1851. However much I persoanally like the square-back trigger guard, if ya got fat fingers... get the round guard model! Mine barely fit. The '61 Navies are also real popular.

...nice guns...

Archived