SASS Wire Forum

OT: My kid has some scary college offers

I'm a big believer in that anyone can attend any school and if they work hard, apply themselves, develop a network, and market themselves properly, they will be successful in the job market.

But I also cannot deny the impact that four years at a prestigious school can have on your career in terms of doors that will open and relationships that will pay off in mutually beneficial ways.

My masters degree is from a strong state school, but one that is not widely recognized outside its regional sphere of influence. It's viewed sort of like a good tool box of skills that I learned, but not much else.

My undergraduate engineering degree is 25 years old, but from a "prestigious" school. Yes, I paid dearly to get the education, but the aura continues to pay dividends to this day, especially now that my classmates are reaching senior levels of industry, government, and the military.

I think my best suggestion would be to talk to doctors and follow their advice.

Sorry to do this but, I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in the works. His dream job is to be a cardiac surgeon. Yeah, that's his dream job NOW. Has he ever done this? How does he know he'll really enjoy it enough to make it a career. The average student entering college right now will change his major up to five times before graduating.

That may be something to consider when choosing which school to attend.

No matter what the choice turns out to be, congrats to you for raising such a fine young mand and I wish him the very best in his future. :FlagAm:

I'm a big believer in that anyone can attend any school and if they work hard, apply themselves, develop a network, and market themselves properly, they will be successful in the job market.

But I also cannot deny the impact that four years at a prestigious school can have on your career in terms of doors that will open and relationships that will pay off in mutually beneficial ways.

My masters degree is from a strong state school, but one that is not widely recognized outside its regional sphere of influence. It's viewed sort of like a good tool box of skills that I learned, but not much else.

My undergraduate engineering degree is 25 years old, but from a "prestigious" school. Yes, I paid dearly to get the education, but the aura continues to pay dividends to this day, especially now that my classmates are reaching senior levels of industry, government, and the military.

I think my best suggestion would be to talk to doctors and follow their advice.

Doctors' advice has so far been all over the map. My son's pediatrician since his birth is soured by public funding cuts and other government intrusions. Yet when my son asked, "Doc, if you had been born in the Soviet Union, would you still have wanted to be a doctor?" He replied "Yes" without hesitation.

And yes I am mindful of the lifelong "DNA" of alumni. Those same folks who give HUGE gifts to their alma mater will ALWAYS give a second look or a leg up to a deserving fellow alum. That may be "awful" or "prejudicial" to those of us with small state college degrees, but it's real. I remember in my senior year of college, a PhD prof. said to me "I wish we were back at XXX (his alma mater), I could have helped you open some doors. Here, nobody wants to even answer the phone when I call."

Well, I guess this would have been a LOT easier had I waited a few days and simply not thought about it (like that was possible). It turns out, that despite a very nice, highest level merit scholarship from SUNY Oswego, once ALL the state numbers were in, a $90K education from SUNY is gonna cost just under $29K out of pocket, and a $240K+ education from BU (because of the generous grant they are offering) is gonna cost about $43K (both figures are for four years, assuming continued level funding). We're down to the difference in cost between the two schools boiling down to the cost of a lightly used Hyundai. We'd have to be totally out of our minds not to send him to BU.

SOME THINGS ya simply can't economize on, especially when the "store brand" is not exactly cheap, and the VALUE on the other end is potentially so much different, especially for kid with med school dreams.

A hearty cowboy "YA-HOO" that we have this decision over. On to the vast pile of documentation.....

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

AJ

I can't say which under-grad school would be best for him. But I would advise him to try to enter a Canadian university after his first year or two in an American univ. I went to McGill in Montreal in the late 60's at $1000/year. My sister went to George Washington in Washington at $7000/year. McGill has one of the finest med schools in the world. And is a lot less expensive than U.S. med schools. Best of luck in whatever choice.My son did the USCG Academy and is now doing his Masters at URI compliments of the USCG.

We're down to the difference in cost between the two schools boiling down to the cost of a lightly used Hyundai. We'd have to be totally out of our minds not to send him to BU.

Estimates are usually under the actual cost and you might figure that in. I would strongly encourage you to avoid debt to do this. Second and third jobs plus some belt tightening now would be better.

The first two years of college have nothing to do with the students major. A student's first two years should be getting the core classes out of the way; math, english, science, literature, etc. These classes can be taken in a local community or even state college at a much cheaper tuition and, if planned correctly, will transfer to a four year university.

State colleges do not mean lower quality education. Universities are primarily in the business of selling education not teaching.

My sister made the same decision you are considering and regretted it. Her daughter was offered a big music scholarship at a university at the opposite end of the state so she cleaned out her savings and went into debt. However after a year away from home her daughter became so homesick that she dropped out of college and returned home.

I would not be talking to Doctors. I would be talking to parents that have been down this road already.

As already been discussed the U.S. Army is a very good choice with really good benefits. Our son really enjoys it and is likely to stay in for 20 years.

Jack, at only a $14k marginal cost to attend BU, it becomes a no-brainer. Tighten the belt. Make your son get summer internships. Do what's needed. That $14k will be peanuts compared to the payoff.

absolutely.. 14K for BU that's as good as winning the lottery.

I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative about a kid that knows what he want to do? so, he goes to BU and changes his minf 1/2 through bit deal with good grades at BU in pre-med he can do anything he wants. I'm pretty sure that no one that wanted to be a brain surgeon had tried it before heading off to college.

Jack, at only a $14k marginal cost to attend BU, it becomes a no-brainer. Tighten the belt. Make your son get summer internships. Do what's needed. That $14k will be peanuts compared to the payoff.

+1 and wholeheartedly agree. As Charlie Harley has already stated (we actually went to school together although we didn't know each other there), the benefits of the BU education and "aura" that accompanies that will continue to pay benefits for all the years ahead. Sometimes I just wish I was as smart as some folks give me credit for. :blush:

Good Luck! Work Hard! It pays off!

Chick

AJ

I went through much the same thing with my daughter Suzanne when she started to college, except it was between the University of Florida and Hofstra (sp?) on Long Island. On the theory that no one asks doctors where they did their undergraduate work, only Med School and Residency, we opted for UF. Suzanne entered the Junior Honers program at UF where the undergraduate senior year was the first year of med school, leaving only three years of med school. That worked out well for her as she has been a practicing OBGYN for about 15 years. (I tried to get her to go into geriatrics but she wouldn't!)

It was good meeting you at the Ides of March match and I look forward to shooting with you when you get moved South! Best of luck to your son. It sounds like he is the kind of guy that makes his own luck though!

Would he be taking the classes at either school? What I am saying is, if he going spend the first 4 years getting the liberal arts bullsnot classes out of the way, why pay more for the same thing then send him to BU for Med School with more cash in his pocket.

BTW I am a proud Oswego Alum, BA & MA. If you have any questions about the school please PM me.

Archived