SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

And a FINE DAY IT 'TIS.

Got my fighting butt yesterday in the mail and I epoxied it in. It is still awaiting the removal of the tape and the epoxy is still setting so later today I will see if I have another rod.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a FINE DAY IT 'TIS.

Got my fighting butt yesterday in the mail and I epoxied it in. It is still awaiting the removal of the tape and the epoxy is still setting so later today I will see if I have another rod.

Wonder where my passion for fishing went? I used to fish to live and lived for fishing. But one day I was casting plugs for bass in a Georgia pond and the thought occurred to me "this isn't fun anymore". I put up my gear and have only picked a rod up occasionally during this 20+ year hiatus.

Sad to say, it is a passion with me. I can't say that catching and killing fish is all that big, but the rivers and waterways get my blood flowing. I guess that is the product of being a river rat and growing up on a river.

I take a keen interest in what the rivers are doing. They are alive you know.

I just read an article this morning that he Elwah river is running into the channel it did a hundred years ago, after they removed a dam. Another is in the works and it should be done by next year or sooner.

This is great news because the salmon will have 80 miles of river to spawn in that is INSIDE THE NATIONAL FOREST AND NOT AVAILABLE TO DEVELOPERS.

There are some issues with silting, but I am betting on Mother Nature and the rains to scour the riverbeds and for the fish to have a good chance. If all goes well, the steelhead will follow the spawning salmon into the river to feed on the errant eggs that wash out of the redds.

Although I have never fished the river, I am excited about it. Finally somebody is doing something constructive to restore the fish runs.

Well Sam, it maybe time for a rekindle and a fanning of the old flame.

Glad you got your part, Badger, that was quick!

Well, I got it epoxied in and it is tight, but I got it a tad crooked. I suppose the fish won't know if we don't tell them. You ain't gonna tell them are ya?

After Grouch Greg's note last night I got to reading about shad. They run big. Kinda like steelhead but I doubt that they are as acrobatic.

We have two Shad species here in NY, Hickory and American. There used to be a big run of both in the Hudson, Delaware and Susquehanna River systems. They got scarcer in recent years. In fact it's now illegal to fish at all for the American Shad in the Hudson system. The Hickory is more common and still around in fair numbers. The open season on them is Aug 1 - Nov 30 with a 5/day limit.

I was just reading the regs for Washington. I didn't know that we had a run of shad and there is no limit

on them and no possession limit. They must be nearly non-existent or Washington would find a way to capitalize on them. I don't know what species they are and what kind of numbers they represent. Heck, I

don't even know when, where and how to fish for them. Guess I will give them a pass for now.

Out here the anadromous fish seem to get the nod along with the trout species.

Sad to say, it is a passion with me. I can't say that catching and killing fish is all that big, but the rivers and waterways get my blood flowing. I guess that is the product of being a river rat and growing up on a river.

I take a keen interest in what the rivers are doing. They are alive you know.

I just read an article this morning that he Elwah river is running into the channel it did a hundred years ago, after they removed a dam. Another is in the works and it should be done by next year or sooner.

This is great news because the salmon will have 80 miles of river to spawn in that is INSIDE THE NATIONAL FOREST AND NOT AVAILABLE TO DEVELOPERS.

There are some issues with silting, but I am betting on Mother Nature and the rains to scour the riverbeds and for the fish to have a good chance. If all goes well, the steelhead will follow the spawning salmon into the river to feed on the errant eggs that wash out of the redds.

Although I have never fished the river, I am excited about it. Finally somebody is doing something constructive to restore the fish runs.

Yessir, they are alive and dynamic! Lakes and ponds really never made my soul glow like the sound and sights of a river. I guess our attraction to running streams and fire is primordial. Maybe I'll try a little crappie fishing this spring. I always enjoyed that much as anything.

Now that sound like a capital idea, Sam. Crappie and blue gill are as much fun to catch as anything. I am

going back to them this summer during the hot (HAHAHA) months of July and August. I got my little two weight rod all ready for that and I have some flies that I THINK MIGHT WORK. Perhaps the fish will have other ideas, but that is what makes a horse race.

Talked to a friend this morning in the grocery store who said the Crappie fishing is really starting to pick up in the shallows of some of the local lakes. Have to fish using a boat and motor you can carry to the water as no launch ramps are open yet. I got a canoe but it would be one hell of a long paddle.

Hahahaha! Why do you think the fish are biting. They read the sign that said the ramp was closed.

I just went to the fly shop to ooogle the float tubes and pontoon boats. All I got was some dubbing.

Tomorrow I am going to check out a crappie and blue gill lake. It also has some largemouth in it so I might try out my new old rod.

Betwix Church in the morning and Honey dews in the afernoon, I ain't gonna have time fer either tomorrow.

Going to check out the lake to see what kind of ramp it has and if any improvement have been made since I last visited it.

The past mild winter and this stretch of real mild temperatures, both night and day, are starting to warm the water up. During a normal winter we would still have ice on most of the lakes. The wife's Daffodils are blooming already. The streams are pretty low and clear because of no snowmelt runoff. Some crop fields are already dry enough to be worked up. In fact the Amish farmers up the road were plowing with their horses today. The temps are supposed to be in the 80s this coming week. I'm already wearin my shorts. :)

OK, while working down clearing out my mother in laws house, well, trying to start organizing it to clear out anyway.

Anyway, I ran across the following, all vintage stuff I'd say at least 30 years old but in pristine condition....

Pfluger No. 1494 !/2 Medalist reel

Fenwick MMG Graphite GFF 806 3 1/2 oz two piece 8 ft ASTMA no 6 line

Shakespere Wonderrod No. 810 7'9" EJE

Eagle Clw Trailmaster No. TRRR249 7 1/2 4 pc, marked Wright & MMcGill co, Denver, co No 7 line

So, if I don't decide to claim them and give in to you guys and try fly fishing again, what are they worth?

I would say claim them and use them or keep them in your family. All are quality gear but as far as a dollar value it's hard to say. Like most things, they're worth what somebody is willing to give you for them.

I think Boots said it best. Keep what you want for family heirlooms, and if you must sell, look for someone that is in want of said items. You might check with a local fly fishing shop to see what advice they might have as an outlet. Quality goods, but what someone will pay for them determines their value.

Good morning, another day with sun and blue skies with a high in the 70s. Got the type of weather that we should be having two months from now. Except for missing out on the barbecue I'm kind a glad we didn't go south this year.

Hey Grizz, Badger hit on a good idea there. If you have a fly shop near you, think about taking the equipment in and see if there might be some local interest or at least give you a ballpark estimate.

Thanks for the input. I'll wait until we finish going through the house so I can take all the stuff at once. So far I found the rods and reel in the house, and saw the waders hanging in the garage, but have yet to come across flies and the rest of the truck involved.

After sleeping on it, I'm comfortable with my decision to pass on it for myself. The way it looks now we'll be lucky to break even on the estate so the extra 300-400 will be needed there.

Good morning Willy and all.

Another glorious day in the Pacific North Wet.

36 and raining. What more could any healthy, handsome, steelhead want.

I'll bet those big stud bucks are just panting to get at the ladies. And the

hens, bless their little hearts, are just as busy flapping their tails to clear out the

redds so that when big pappa get there she will be read for him.

Ah, nature, ain't it grand. :lol:

Visited the fly shop yesterday and got my fix. But I also got the phone

number of the fellow that built my pram. I think I will give him a call and

see if we can get it repaired and maybe I can use it on the waterways.

OK, while working down clearing out my mother in laws house, well, trying to start organizing it to clear out anyway.

Anyway, I ran across the following, all vintage stuff I'd say at least 30 years old but in pristine condition....

Pfluger No. 1494 !/2 Medalist reel

Fenwick MMG Graphite GFF 806 3 1/2 oz two piece 8 ft ASTMA no 6 line

Shakespere Wonderrod No. 810 7'9" EJE

Eagle Clw Trailmaster No. TRRR249 7 1/2 4 pc, marked Wright & MMcGill co, Denver, co No 7 line

So, if I don't decide to claim them and give in to you guys and try fly fishing again, what are they worth?

Grizz, although I don't fish much at all anymore that sounds like Christmas time!

TMI Grizz.

I had to go see the sawbones to get rid of mine. All he did is look at my throat and say, "You have a virus."

I felt better though, before I went into his office. Kinda like when you take your car into the shop when

it has a malfunction, and then it won't malfunction for the mechanic. I have been taking liberal doses of TINCTURE OF WHISKEY and that makes me sleep better.

I am not a doctor but I saw one on TV one time. At least he was wearing a white lab coat.

I saw the doc, well, a nurse practitioner actually on Thursday on another matter and had her give me a once over on the cold. She didn't seem to think it was anything more than just a cold. she said my lungs sounded clear which is what I wanted to be sure of. Had pneumonia before, don't want it again.

Grizz, you may want to check out www.ricksrods.com regarding your equipment.

BBW

the ground is somewhat miost , if it come in , it will probley be a "run off" rain event , ( read FLOOD )

on another note , went looking for the fly stash , it appears the girls put them all in a box without a lid :huh:

then put em in a shop bulding , L@@KS like a big tying session comming up , if I am gonna fish .

30 + years of patterans , lost , still have the books so it can be redone , just takes time :blink:

All is NORMAL around here :lol:

CB

The way the winds been blowing here for the last week or so you'd need a big chunk of lead on that fly line!

I think I might have the hots to try fly fishing for crappie. Even found a forum on it and a potential killer called Crappie Candy. Now to just watch a River Runs Through It one more time.

The way the winds been blowing here for the last week or so you'd need a big chunk of lead on that fly line!

I think I might have the hots to try fly fishing for crappie. Even found a forum on it and a potential killer called Crappie Candy. Now to just watch a River Runs Through It one more time.

Ok I am going to jot you down for a fishing report on that, Sam. Crappie Candy. Hahahaha. I have never had crappie candy. I have had some not so good good candy, but I would never classifiy it as crappie.

I think the guy should have given it a little more thought before he named that fly.

I saw a fly tied with black foam that looked like a beetle. I think I will tie up a few and give them a try.

Too cold, windy and rainy to fish around here right now. No let up in sight either.

I was just thinking today, that the movie A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, may not have been so good for

fly fishing. Good movie and good scenery but it may have given the wrong impression to a lot of newer fly fishers. The fellow in the movie, Norman Maclean, I believe wrote the book based on his autobiography, He also wrote a work on entomology but I can't recall the name of it at this time.

I will have to look it up. Giant tome, it is.

Crappie Candy

Wouldn't you know it. Last year I bought at an estate auction a very nice vice and assorted fly fishing tools, a big box of tying materials, and about a dozen books on the subject. They've all sold for the most part and here I am thinking about flyfishing. No wonder my hobbies are so expensive! ;)

Archived