SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning gentlemen, sunny and in the 80s today. Tilled up the garden yesterday and got some seeds. Going to plant some peas, radishes, lettuce and spinach today.

BBW

Do not forget to plant corn , Very inporant for CANNING :lol:

80 % chance of getting wet today , :blink:

weekend shows to be clear with temps going back up

Crappie have shutdown according to fishing report

After last years pittyful harvest , don't know if it worth putting out a garden

CB

No garden here. Doctor's appointment for Momma today for pre surgery checkmeout.

Looks like I will be gone most of the day, so make the most of it.

I will put Whiskey Girl on you case if you get out of line. And maybe even Complicated Lady if you is really bad. Daja has deserted us.

My tab is nailed to the bottom of the stack and Flint's is on top. Have at it. But remember,

I WILLLLL BBBEEEEEE BBBBBBBAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

That jus ain't fair.

Hey, Sam, Looks like I am gonna have to go to a bigger hook size. I tried those flies on some old #8s that I had and they worked a lot better than the size 12. Now I wonder if a blue gill can get a size 8 in his mouf.

Thought you guys might be interested in a little article that's in our local newspaper.

NAPLES, NY — Peter Austerman, an aquatic biologist with the Department of Environmental Conservation, gently clutched the rainbow trout in his hands for the crowd to see.

He then held the radiant red-striped fish out for some children standing along the bank of Naples Creek to touch.

“I want to go fishing,” said a boy of about 11.

“You’ll have to wait until April 1,” was Austerman’s reply.

In nine days, trout season on tributaries of the Finger Lakes begins, but eager anglers showed up Thursday to watch the DEC’s annual electrofishing survey of rainbow trout that have migrated from Canandaigua Lake into famed Naples Creek to spawn.

No doubt many in the crowd of about 150 that gathered on the Route 245 bridge just north of the village also couldn’t resist the chance to merely get outside and enjoy the summer-like weather.

“Shocking Day,” as it is referred to in Naples, has become nearly as traditional as opening day itself, with parents and children getting a jump on playing hooky from work and school.

“It’s a rite of spring,” said Paula Abraham, wife of longtime and now retired DEC fisheries manager Bill Abraham of Wayland, Steuben County. “Bill said he didn’t think he’d ever seen a shocking day where people could wear shorts.”

Unfortunately, fishermen also couldn’t remember when so few fish were surveyed.

In the first 2½ hours of work, the DEC’s nine-person team of perspiring biologists and student volunteers headed by Austerman netted just 10 fish, the largest a male weighing 4.2 pounds and measuring 25 inches. Of a handful of females, all but one had distributed her eggs.

With the creek’s water temperature reading 50 degrees — the high end of a 46- to 50-degree window for spawning — Austerman wasn’t shocked by his crew’s findings.

Last year, with a cold winter and late spring, about 100 fish were sampled.

“As the spawning run progresses, fish move upstream, but we’re also finding high water temps with this crazy weather,” he said, referring to the last two weeks of record air temperatures that followed a winter of less snow than usual. “We’re finding that quite a few have spawned already and headed back to the lake.”

BBW

Just got off the phone , with one of my old fishing buddys , looks like our crappis are hittong the beds right now ,

not sure how this rain event is going to affect the spawn , got to get to the lake in the am and see about the water color

if it gets muddy it may shut em down , here on the river end .

If so I may have to head to Mo and try trout fishing :unsure:

CB

That jus ain't fair.

Hey, Sam, Looks like I am gonna have to go to a bigger hook size. I tried those flies on some old #8s that I had and they worked a lot better than the size 12. Now I wonder if a blue gill can get a size 8 in his mouf.

No problem! I'd like to get into these once more. They fight like the dickens, got a bigger mouth, and despite what they say I think are better eating than brim. Redeye Bass aka Stumpknockers

Got me to thinking. We caught a few sauger in the oxbows of MS. I wouldn't mind going up on the Tennessee River and trying them on. Yum!

How big do they run. They aren't very big are they?

I am going outside the game and using some 12 hooks and making

a nymphs. Will they work.

I have thought about going after the walleyes but I think I would use gear for them.

Toothy critters they is.

Edit:

Willy, looks like you got some climate change going on there. Wild critters are very sensitive to it and the first to react. Interesting to see how that situation will work out.

Good morning, the coffee is brewing and it's a little foggy this morning. Going to be cooler here today, ONLY in the 60s with some showers. Got up to 81 yesterday and was sunny all day. Got the early garden in and some yard work done.

Even with all the warm temperatures over the past couple of weeks only a couple of new records were set. Kinda surprising that there have been warmer days in the past.

Got to go to visit the tax lady today and prepare to settle up with the "Guvmint"

Well, you saw the report on the Sky this morning and the 37 degrees. It is clear and the rain has stopped for now. But it will be back.

I hope the IRS leaves you enough to buy flies, Willy.

If not, Sam can tie you some leaders and flies now that he has that new vice. I am envious of him and that vise he has.

Well, you saw the report on the Sky this morning and the 37 degrees. It is clear and the rain has stopped for now. But it will be back.

I hope the IRS leaves you enough to buy flies, Willy.

If not, Sam can tie you some leaders and flies now that he has that new vice. I am envious of him and that vise he has.

An expensive habit vice is! :lol:

Some people call em warmouth, goggle-eyed perch, redeye perch and others stumpknockers. Looks like the world record is 2 lbs 7 oz.

Chickasaw, some fish have big mouths, and big eyes and get in trouble with them.

A fish being invited to a fish fry is never a good thing from the fish's point of view.

No matter how cold the beer is.

Went fishing for them with my cousin down in Southern Illinois. We were using gold hooks and crickets.

Gear fishing we wuz. It was fun to watch them little guys hit the cricket as soon as it hit the water. Lot of fun.

Good morning, it's 47 degrees with drizzle and may get to 60 with rain and thunderstorms all day.

The tax lady will give us the IRS news, good or bad, this coming week.

Took "Little Boots" out on the town last night for a nice dinner and a couple of after dinner drinks.

Anybody get do any fishin yet?

Took my fishing partner, Bruce out for breakfast and we met up with a bamboo rod builder, who joined us. It was a great morning for me. We talked fishing and rods and reels and bamboo and graphite and boats and we even discussed the eggs. Bruce is a little older than me and has had to stop driving because of some sort of eye problem. I think he was glad to get out with the boys and I know I was. Great start to a nice day. Now I get to go wash the car and clean it out. Captain Jack will be my assistant.

Sounds like you had a real enjoyable morning Badger.

Does the guy build the rods as a hobby or is it his livelihood?

He is retired and builds them for commercial sale. I guess both. I would hate to think that was his only means of subsistence though. Bruce was showing me a rod that was made for him by a local well known rod builder that we both know.

I was surprised at the weight of bamboo. I had forgotten that it is heaver than graphite.

All of my rods feel like a whisper when compared.

He said that he has between 60 and 100 hours into each rod. I guess he turns all of his own cork and

makes his own ferrels and reel seats. I am anxious to visit his shop and see his work first hand.

Today has been spring like. Temperature is in the low 50s and SUNNY. Makes me want to get the rod out and go bend it. But the yard needs attention. I should go prune my cherry trees and apple trees.

I have an old 6wt Montague bamboo rod that fish with on occasion. After casting with that for about a hour my forearm knows it. The modern graphites feel like a feather in comparison. There is just something about that old bamboo's action. It's what I learned on so it's a nostalgia thing for me.

This warm spell has some of my apple trees starting to bud. They're calling for cold this coming week with temps in the 20's, so any buds will freeze.

Hey Guys

I did the yard work today , so it is out of the way for a week or so , put a differant graph on the front of the boat , and fooled with the 4 wheeler a bit , :blink:

Did for everyone else all week , so I am taking Monday off and taking the boat out .

Since I am doing that , I belive I shall go flyfishing , tommarow afternoon :)

BMC

The flys , you sent pics of are real close to the verragated wollys ,I tye , with the exception of the glass bead head ,

I also palmer the hackle all the way up , not a soft hackle .

I tye the tails long so I can cut em down if I need to , just pluck them down with the fingernails .

CB

Mornin cusses, 45 degrees with rain now and for most of the day but the sun is supposed to break through late in the afternoon, the high is 60.

I'm gonna go stand in the rain today wearing my cowboy hat to give it some added character. Our first shoot of the year is April 14. I'm looking forward to it.

BMC will just have have a little Spring Tonic to cure the fever.

I got a fix yesterday. I ain't cured, but I is better.

Better than what? That score ain't in yet.

Looks to be another nice day so I think yard work after Church.

Maybe take Momma and Captain Jack to scout out some local lakes to see

what they look like.

Archived