SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

A couple of years ago my wife had what the doctors determined was Frozen Shoulder. She could only raise up her arm to about level before she had real pain. She had some physical therapy and that took care of it.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBW

Not sure what cuased it , reaching for a screwdriver , real LOUD POP , then the pain hit :blink:

Some of the swelling has gone down , have about 20% usage right now , have appts today , that must be taken care of .

all will work out in a few days :) , Dr can sort it out Fri AM :lol:

Got the 5'9" 3wt , and the 6'6" 4 wt put into the truck , there is a small stream on the way back home I want to go PLAY on , NO trout , just a bunch of panfish , still a lot of fun :)

CB

Them feisty panfish are a lot of fun on a flyrod plus they're good eating too. Do have any good Crappie (Callico) lakes near you?

BBW

Aboout 4 mi from the boat shed , is Beaver Lake , I do not fly fish for the Crappie , use a spinning rod most of the time for them .

I used to do a lot of nite fishing with underwater lites , cuaght bunches crappie , along with white bass , black bass , strippers , hy-breds , catfish and walleye .

They started putting walleye into the lake a few years ago , I hookup with them by accadent , by catch while lite fishing or casting for crappie . You will also pick them up when trooling of jigging with spoons in the winter .

As long as it pulls on the line I like it :)

CB

CB,

We got a few lakes close by with decent Crappie populations. I like fishing for them "Papermouths". I don't own a boat but my neighbor does. I get out with him. We use small minnows or if they are really hitting a small white Mr. Twister gets them good.

The tug on the line

and the taste in the pan

That is why they call it pan fishing.

Love those little slab sides. Perch are good too, when cooked in

hot lard and served with corn bread muffins.

Still not feeling all that frisky today, so I think I will tie some flies for the June 1 opener. Since it is on

a Friday, more likely the June 4th opener. Lowland lakes open the last week end in April.

If we get a real good stretch of weather, I might fish one of the year round put and take lakes, just to get my fix.

During a normal winter we generally have safe ice fishing ice on most of the lakes around here starting late Dec or early Jan. This winter has not been normal. Very few lakes froze over solid. I dearly love catching Perch, Bluegill and other panfish through a hole in the ice but did not get out at all this winter. We prepare them by filleting and skinning, then toss the fillets in boiling salted water for about 3 minutes. Scoop them out, dip em melted butter and chow down. We call them Poor Man's Lobster when done that way. You can also scoop em out and dump them in ice water and let em chill quick then scoop them out, dip em in cocktail sauce and eat them. That way they're called Poorman's Shrimp. Either way they are delicious.

Cruising around on u tube last night, I found a fly that I had never heard of. It is called the BIBIO DIWAL-BACH. I watched Davie McPhail tie it. I learned that it is an older welch pattern that is very effective in the UK. Pretty fly and it is tied with a dark and red segmented body sorta like the Royal Coachman. I asked the question of what do you think the fish takes it for. I am thinking that being that the RC is an attractor fly that it might also look like a drowned ant in fast water. I believe that Lee Wulff was from your part of the country.

Lee Wulff did live in NY. He and his wife Joan fished the Catskill streams frequently. They had a fly fishing school on the upper Beaverkill. I think it may still exist and the Mrs may still be living. He died in the early 1990s a combination heart attack/plane crash. He flew his own plane. I think they also had/have a nice section on the East Branch of the Delaware. I recall seeing him on several occasions around Roscoe when I was a kid in the late 1960s and early 70s. He was on TV often and was pretty recognizable.

I had thought that I read where Joan Wulff had passed away recently. A search of the web told me nothing however.

I am putting together a shopping list of flies for the streams and lakes here. I started on the stream but perhaps that is backward. Dry flies seem to work better for me in moving water, fast or slow. I seem to have more luck with sub surface flies in stillwater.

So far my river list of dry flies contains, humpies, BWOs, Adams and stimulators. All in various sizes.

So far my wet and damp flies will be, brassies, or prince nymph wooly buggers, pheasant tail both,

regular and flashback and the all important gold rib hare's ear.

Ever fish emergers?

Also you might like to check out the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum website www.cffcm.net

Ever fish emergers?

Also you might like to check out the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum website www.cffcm.net

Not a great deal of the time. I might try them in some of the Eastern Washington waters this summer.

I fish 3 patterns of Emergers quite often, all are CDC, Sulfur, Mayfly and BWO, sizes 16 and 20. I brush some Frog's Fanny floatant powder only on the CDC. They work good in the faster smooth runs and tails of pools.

BBW

We have several real good lakes for warm water fishes , Almost all of our cold water fisherys are stocked with hatchery fish , had some nateral fish starting to reproduce , until the last big flood did them in , over on Little Sugar Creek .

I will usually bring in 50 of so fish on a lite trip , make for a pretty good sized FISH FRY :)

I will do 6 or so through the summer , takes a bunch of fish , feeding 50 to 75 folks :blink:

CB

BMC, I think the reason I didn't go anywhere with fly fishing is that I didn't have anyone to go out with or to show me the ropes. Oh, there was the class at the rec center, but that wasn't that great, and since it was full of old men who didn't give a punk kid there by himself a second thought, I don't remember getting a lot of help.

That is sad, Grizz. Wish I had a shot at teaching you the ropes, er lines.

I'll bet you would dine on fish quite often. You got some world class trout streams

over there in Colorado. You could get a lot of enjoyment out of the outdoors. I just don't

recommend fishing in Colorado in the winter time. Especially up around Denver and environs.

Hope you are feeling better, Bud.

You're at the end of a VERY LONG LINE Badger!

Saw a show on some big trap tournament tonight on the outdoor channel. They'd need bigger targets if they expected me to see 'em, much less hit 'em.

It works well when I remember to orient the crease correctly, otherwise the crimp is inconsistent. I haven't been able to shoot any of the shells I've loaded yet, so haven't loaded any more.

That is pretty much where I am also. I got several boxes loaded and I want to try them in my stage gun and in my 11-87 to see where they pattern and how they work in the actions.

I was a little surprised that the formula called for a cup and half of flour and three eggs tho. Hard to get all that in those tiny hulls.

Good morning old cusses, it's another abnormally warm day here. Starting out with sun then clouds and rain showers later. Highs in the upper 60s.

Good morning Willy. Beautiful day here with rain and calling for wind. No flyfishing for this cowboy today.

Yesterday, I ran into a fellow on another forum from Philly. He is originally from Ireland and we got into a discussion about the fly I told you about. He was showing some of his wet flies. Works of art. His name is Fontinalis, and he is on

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php

Go to the forum page and scroll down to the fly tying forum. Take a look at them. I think you will be surprised and pleased. I believe most are salmon type european flies but they are beautiful.

Those flies are truly works of art! He says he fishes the upper Delaware system. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I'm down there. Maybe I'll run into him.

If you do, tell him that I said hello and I appreciate his work.

Think I might get the vise out today and tie some scuds for the eastern lakes. And maybe a few chironomids. Most likely black and red. I don't think I have any white beads, so I will use white

ostrich hurl.

Well dang it, got a call updating me on my rifle. It got hung up in customs. Smith won't see it until next week at the earliest, then he'll do his thing and I'll see it after that.

I hate waiting.

CB,

"50 or so fish a day" .... no wonder ya got a bad shoulder !! :lol:

Archived