SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

I should have known if I went outside to get rained on, on purpose, it would quit raining. It did and the hat barely got damp.

I am looking at Crappie poles. I don't have one of those that are 10 or 12 feet long. I'm thinking about getting one to use from the neighbor's boat. Anybody got any advice?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should have known if I went outside to get rained on, on purpose, it would quit raining. It did and the hat barely got damp.

I got some Cabela's Club points to use up and am looking at Crappie poles. I don't have one of those that are 10 or 12 feet long. I'm thinking about getting one to use from the neighbor's boat. Anybody got any advice?

Maybe get a loooooong fly rod with a light line weight and use it in place of a limited crappie pole.

Besides, crappie poles are crappie.

No, I have no experience with them.

Parasitoid! Can't edit from iphone

Sam, I got a supply some years ago, and hung up a block of wood on the south side of the house where it is protected and let them have at it. We live at the bottom of a hill and it is rather cool here year round, so they have to wait for flowers for some time. Getting the hatch time and the bloom time to match up is a chore. When it works, it works good.

Well CB, look at it this way, you don't gotta clean anything. :)

Were you fishing for anything specific?

BMC, from what I understand the Crappie pole is longer and alot stiffer than a fly rod so you can reach out and jig vertically around brush piles and such. Then be able to quickly lift the ones you catch right up and into the boat so you don't scare off the others in the school.

Well CB, look at it this way, you don't gotta clean anything. :)

Were you fishing for anything specific?

BMC, from what I understand the Crappie pole is longer and alot stiffer than a fly rod so you can reach out and jig vertically around brush piles and such. Then be able to quickly lift the ones you catch right up and into the boat so you don't scare off the others in the school.

Yep, and its hard to beat a regular old cane pole for just that or for brim. Just rigged a little different is all.

Sam, I remember my Grandmother fishing off the end of the dock with one of those long, one piece cane poles. She'd whip that thing back and whip it out into the lake. Us kids would never ever go near her when she was fishin. She hooked onto her dog one day and dam near threw him into the lake but her pole broke.

I was leaning towards one of the telescoping types but Cabela's is all sold out for now.

Sam, I remember my Grandmother fishing off the end of the dock with one of those long, one piece cane poles. She'd whip that thing back and whip it out into the lake. Us kids would never ever go near her when she was fishin. She hooked onto her dog one day and dam near threw him into the lake but her pole broke.

I was leaning towards one of the telescoping types but Cabela's is all sold out for now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know very little about crappie fishing. I know that my cousin goes to Mississippi and fishes for them

but I think he uses the yo yo method now. I don't think he has any long crappie poles. I know nothing about them or how they are used. My crappie fishing is also crappie. I have better luck with perch and blue gills.

The Crappie fishing is pretty much a spring and fall thing around here. There's too much boat/waterskier activity in the summer on most of the lakes to do any serious fishing except in the early morning, at night or on a rainy day.

BBW

I was trout fishing , 3 rainbows .

I do not see any need for a 12 ft rod for crappie . 7 to 8 ft light spinning rod are what I use for jigging and fishing with minnows .

I use cat ugly sticks with ABU 5000s for fishing under the lights , gonna start that in about 20 to 25 days

Got the boat ready , I think , gonna give it a run come am :)

CB

CB, I read an article in Fur-Fish-Game magazine that was about catching Crappie using a long pole to jig next to stumps and brush without casting. I thought I might like to try it. The poles are pretty inexpensive $15-$20.

Good luck in the morning.

BBW

We got some folks here , that have 4 to 10 long poles , pointed in front of the boat , in racks , I think they call them Spider rigs . jigs or minnows set a differant depths , they use the trooling motor to move around the brush piles .

I am not sure of where to put out in the am , still trying to get reports about the water color , My normal spots are covered with muddy water , I am betting the fish will be deep from what I saw today at the river .

I may just end up taking a boat ride . :unsure:

CB

BBW

We got some folks here , that have 4 to 10 long poles , pointed in front of the boat , in racks , I think they call them Spider rigs . jigs or minnows set a differant depths , they use the trooling motor to move around the brush piles .

I am not sure of where to put out in the am , still trying to get reports about the water color , My normal spots are covered with muddy water , I am betting the fish will be deep from what I saw today at the river .

I may just end up taking a boat ride . :unsure:

CB

I've done that a time or two.

Properly rigged and with a little practice one can "swing" a lure to an exact spot with little disturbance to the fish. A ten foot pole will get you about 15 foot out or more. I like the line about 8 inches shorter than the pole.

I've seen them rigged for brim only, crappie only, and even saw one set up with a 8-10 section of fly line and was used as a fly rod for flipping a popping but up into flooded timber.

In certain areas, you may see poles 16 ft long for depth or for the fading art of doodlesocking. Basically a very long pole and short line. For example, use a top water lure and present it near cover. You can make that lure do things impossible to do with other techniques and can drive fish like bass into a frenzy when nothing else works. Probably a youtube video on it...there is for everything else.

Guys

it was a mite UGLY , the wind came up and overpowered the 4 wt :blink:

I should have taken more rods with me , knowing it would be high and fast water .

I am going to have to tye a bunch more flys , I did not have what I needed to fish with .

I will be tying bigger stuff 8 to 12 , but when the water goes down , it will be back to the 12 to 18 stuff

CB

Good morning guys, 34 degrees and blustery this morning. It's supposed to be sunny but windy with a high in the upper 40's.

Thanks for the information about using the long rod to fish. I think it'll be a real good technique to use on a few of our local lakes. We can sneak in near logs and other cover with the electric motor and drop that bait right along side it.

It's off to the tax lady's this morning. We'll see how the IRS and NYS treated us.

Do we know what is wrong with the boat?

Could it be a part that needs replacement?

Sometimes, if you can identify the problem, you can fix it yourself.

Start with the basics. Fuel line working ok? Spark ok?

Does the engine turn?

Things like that. Could be something as simple as a loose connection.

But then again, you could have blown the whole thing, put a hole in the

hull and need a new rig. :lol:

Well the lucky hat worked, we got a few dollars back. Enough to buy a couple of dozen flies, a bottle or two of smooth swallowin whiskey and some new summer finery for "Little Boots Ruthie".

The travel agent that's taking care of our Alaska trip called and we need to meet with her to tweak some of the details. We'll do that later this afternoon.

:lol::lol:

Salmon will be a maybe but Rainbow and Grayling on the definite list.

Our plans include day and an overnight in Seattle. Our nephew lives there and I want him to take me to see the Sage facility on Bainbridge Island.

:lol::lol:

Salmon will be a maybe but Rainbow and Grayling on the definite list.

Our plans include day and an overnight in Seattle. Our nephew lives there and I want him to take me to see the Sage facility on Bainbridge Island.

While you are there, ask them why they don't make more 2 piece rods and find out if they want to give me one of their ONE rods. :lol:

I'll do my best Charlie. Maybe I can procure a couple for test and evaluation. Maybe I could use it while I'm in Alaska... hmmm maybe I could even persuade them to pay for the trip. :lol:

CB, one needs to set their sights high when dealin with these companies :)

Did ya get any fish?

CB,

I got a 16 foot aluminum canoe that I've had for a long time. I look around at local auctions, garage and yard sales for a small outboard for it. No luck yet but still looking.

Lottsa luck on that Willy. Small motors are in big demand for pontoon boats, prams, small aluminum boats and etc. Out here they ban internal combustion engines on most smaller lakes for fishing. Keeps the ski boats off the water.

BBW

I would suggest , you get an electric motor , a big 35 lb+ trooling motor will get a canoe moving right along .

I ran a water scamp with a 28 lb motor and a big deep cycle battary , for several years , Dad and I would fish most anywhere in it ,

We would run up the War Eagle river 4 to 5 mi from where we would launch , cuaght a lot of fish out of it .

It stayed in the bed of my 78 Dodge p/u , we could pull up to a body of water and be fishing in less than 3 min .

CB

Would there be room in the canoe for the battery? I wouldn't be able to stand up to use foot controls, so the motor would need to be in the stern.

Lottsa luck on that Willy. Small motors are in big demand for pontoon boats, prams, small aluminum boats and etc. Out here they ban internal combustion engines on most smaller lakes for fishing. Keeps the ski boats off the water.

Ski boats? Water? Tain't never heard such foolishness. Ya ski on snow! :D

Archived