SASS Wire Forum

Ramblings of an old cuss

Looks pretty straight forward pattern. Bead chain eyes and flash for the body and tail. What size are you looking for? I would say either size 10 or 12. What do you think. What color do you like?

Chartreuse or hot orange?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this part of the world chartruese usually is a winner. I remember jigging in Mississippi oxbows and it seems like a white head w/chartruese&black body with silver streamers was good depending on conditions. That was a lifetime ago but I still remember the best crappie fishing ever....don't know how it could be any better.

Well, I found the pattern. I don't have all of the materials but I have most. I will make a list and tomorrow

I will pick up the rest. I would like to try this next summer over in the seep lakes area near Moses Lake.

I'll let you know when I get them done and I will send you some to try. OK?

Well, I found the pattern. I don't have all of the materials but I have most. I will make a list and tomorrow

I will pick up the rest. I would like to try this next summer over in the seep lakes area near Moses Lake.

I'll let you know when I get them done and I will send you some to try. OK?

Thats very kind of you Badg and I'd love to try em! Imagine! Badger Charlies "Crappie Condiment"!

Good morning fellers. After an overnight thunderstorm and a low of 53, we're going to have sun and showers/thundershowers with a high in the mid to upper 70s.

Here is some information for yous to ponder over your morning coffee.

The NYSDEC released some of the information from it’s “Fall 2011 Lake Ontario Tributary Angler Survey” for the Salmon River. Between September 1 and November 30, 2011, there were 751,127 angler hours spent in which 85,106 Chinook Salmon, 29,113 Coho Salmon, 39,697 Steelhead and 3,523 Brown Trout were landed.

About 66% of the landed fish were released.

Doing a little research on it, looks like this is a clouser type fly. According to my research, peach, orange and red also work. It is apparently it is a replication of a minnow.

Thats what I read. Chartruese, white, yellow, black and combinations thereof seem to be the most popular hereabouts.

Boy, we got a big line of thunderstorms moving this way. Probably rain all day. :(

Good morning fellers. After an overnight thunderstorm and a low of 53, we're going to have sun and showers/thundershowers with a high in the mid to upper 70s.

Here is some information for yous to ponder over your morning coffee.

The NYSDEC released some of the information from it’s “Fall 2011 Lake Ontario Tributary Angler Survey” for the Salmon River. Between September 1 and November 30, 2011, there were 751,127 angler hours spent in which 85,106 Chinook Salmon, 29,113 Coho Salmon, 39,697 Steelhead and 3,523 Brown Trout were landed.

About 66% of the landed fish were released.

Interesting note about the release, Willy. Wonder if it was voluntary or was there some law requirement?

I take it that these fish are not tainted with the pollution problems of Lake Erie?

I read an article about the "GLOW IN THE DARK SALMON" but I think it was in Lake Michigan. With all the area of spawning in the Great Lakes I would think that you could have some BIG salmon runs.

Thats what I read. Chartruese, white, yellow, black and combinations thereof seem to be the most popular hereabouts.

Boy, we got a big line of thunderstorms moving this way. Probably rain all day. :(

What is this thing you call RAIN, Sam?

I really feel sorry for you, poor guy.

Interesting note about the release, Willy. Wonder if it was voluntary or was there some law requirement?

I take it that these fish are not tainted with the pollution problems of Lake Erie?

I read an article about the "GLOW IN THE DARK SALMON" but I think it was in Lake Michigan. With all the area of spawning in the Great Lakes I would think that you could have some BIG salmon runs.

What is this thing you call RAIN, Sam?

I really feel sorry for you, poor guy.

Aw, it could be worse. Beginning tornado season and really kinda antsy. Don't want to go through another one. Not completely cleaned up from last years.

I don't tie smaller than 16 and few of those. I do much better with 12 and 10. Fingers don't always work so good.

Sam, I may take some license with those crappie flies. I am thinking that maribou for some of the application. Also some deer hair for floatation. The weight of the eyes and some lead wire will take care of the sink rate.

BMC

A lot of the terestial here needs to be 16 and 18 , in the early season , ants and bettles .

been breaking thread and bending hooks , hands are not very steady today and the fingers ain't working very well :blink:

thinking this will force them to do better :) , ofcorse I have been WRONG before :wacko:

Thinking a Clowser , would be about the same as the fly , you are working on .

CB :unsure:

I guess you guys don't want the box of size 24 hooks I got. :lol:

Badger, Lake Ontario is probably not as bad as Erie but it's still not recommended that you eat much fish caught from it especially women under 50 and children under 15. Us Old Cusses are a write off :lol: The bigger the fish the worse it is, health wise, to eat it. Still some are kept for getting them smoked right there on the river and for trophies.

BMC

A lot of the terestial here needs to be 16 and 18 , in the early season , ants and bettles .

been breaking thread and bending hooks , hands are not very steady today and the fingers ain't working very well :blink:

thinking this will force them to do better :) , ofcorse I have been WRONG before :wacko:

Thinking a Clowser , would be about the same as the fly , you are working on .

CB :unsure:

Yep, that is what I take it for, a Clouser.

I was thinking on tying a flying ant pattern in black with wool and then coating it with UV cured

coating with hackle legs. Whadda ya thunk?

I guess you guys don't want the box of size 24 hooks I got. :lol:

Badger, Lake Ontario is probably not as bad as Erie but it's still not recommended that you eat much fish caught from it especially women under 50 and children under 15. Us Old Cusses are a write off :lol: The bigger the fish the worse it is, health wise, to eat it. Still some are kept for getting them smoked right there on the river and for trophies.

I pretty much think you can keep your 24 hooks. :lol:

What a shame on the lakes. I know when I lived in Detroit, that there was a lot of concern for Erie. I don't think Huron was quite as bad because there was not a lot of big manufacturing along the shore line.

This was back in the 1960s. But the Detroit river was polluted but folks would fish there. I fished in Lake

St. Claire but never ate any of the fish.

There's no doubt they're cleaner now than 10 to 20 years ago but Mercury, PCBs and a few other long lasting goodies are the issue.

I see now that Pennsylvania has scrapped their Steelhead stocking program in Lake Erie because of IPN Virus found some hatchery Steelhead and Brown trout being raised there.

Ya know, the hatchery program sound good and a smooth talker can make a case for it, but I am beginning to become a disciple of Mother Nature. A few years ago, I do not recall the details at this time, but something that the State did or didn't do, and all of a sudden there were salmon where there had been no salmon before. Now I know there are a lot of issues that take place out in the salt that the States have no control over, but when I see the greed and self serving attitudes of some folks, I get really angry and sad.

I am of the opinion that stocking lakes is not the answer to poor fishing. I think that they could select a few easily approached lakes and stock them heavily and frequently with fish for the taking. This would satisfy

the once or twice a year fishiers. The guys the WDFW call Joe six pack. Goes out on opening day of the lowland lakes catches his limit and is off the lake by 1000 hours and never goes back. It would also satisfy those that only want to fish for meat, and those that do not want to work for their fish. Easy fishing, easy to control and easy money for the state. Leave the rest of the lakes alone, put out yearly regs for all of the lakes and they are all the same regs. NO more 142 page books on regs and schedules.

I am sure that one species or another would dominate each lake, but that would be some homework for the fisherman to determine when and where he wants to fish.

BMC

I would just go tith a thread body then seal with head glue ,

Don't want to stick my fingers together :blink:

Did I tell ya'll I am a CLUTZ at times :huh:

CB

I will have to cogitate on that. I saw a video of some guy tying with a hot glue gun. I guess it would work for some things. Maybe I will try that and see how it goes.

Well, I hope they werk also. IF however, you have a virus, they ain't gonna do you much good.

If it is indeed a virus, a trip to your local sauna and steam bath might help more than anything. Or else a good exliar tonic. I can supply some three day old stuff. :rolleyes:

All I know is that Miz Grizz said she'd skin me alive if I wasn't healthy enough to head back down south in a few days.

Not to mention I have a match coming up on the 31st.

All I know is that Miz Grizz said she'd skin me alive if I wasn't healthy enough to head back down south in a few days.

Not to mention I have a match coming up on the 31st.

Best forget the Exliar then. That takes more than a month of cure time. But the up side, you don't care.

I reckon elixer would kill me these days.

I'll be ready to go south one way or another. If I ain't up to schlepping boxes, I'll shuffle papers instead. Tons of work needs done either way.

BMC

For the thread ants , I use a heavy thread , the same stuff I use to wrap eyelets on rods Do the body , 1 1/2 turns of hackle then do the head , whip finish and cover with head cement .

I use grizzley hackle for the legs .

I got a few tyed today , still got to do a bunch more , defentaly need to tye some griffith Knats and a few Renagades

Probley should da a few ants also .

CB

Good morning guys, had thunder and lightning overnight again but not much in the way of rain. It's sunny and 54 degrees and should be back up in the mid 70s this afternoon with more thunderstorms. I never seen the grass so verdant green this early in the year and probably will have to mow it soon. Some bushes and shrubs are already starting to get leaves. Saw a flock of turkey in the field across the road when I went out to get the morning newspaper. We can hunt them, Toms only, 2 bird seasonal limit, the entire month of May. You can tie some good nymphs using wild turkey feathers.

BBW

If ya get a turkey , shoot me a pm , I know someone besides me that would like a feather .

Been tying some to replace stuff in the fly box , still got a ways to go .

Sooner of later , I will run across the patteran books , unsure where they are .

Thunder , lighting , wind and rain all nite , contuining for the day .

CB

Will do CB. I recall you saying earlier your stockpile of flies wasn't stored covered. Did the moths get em?

Well, I didn't get out yesterday to get the materials I need for Sam's bugs/minnows. Maybe Friday Sam.

I am going to have coffee with a fellow on Saturday morning, that is a bamboo rod builder. I am going to introduce him to my fishing partner. Bruce is a wood carver and he makes native artifacts. He made me two fishing nets. One is a short handle net and the other is a long handled boat net. The man is a wizard with a piece of wood. Great artist.

I need to find a way to take a picture of the little one and post it. The handle is carved like a raven's beak

with the world in it's mouth. Has some significance to the tribes but I do not know what it is.

WWB

Not sure if it was mouths , dry rot , or what , but the water did not help at all :lol:

Got in the bottem if the big hip style tackle box , I use as a tying kit and found some materals in it were bad also .

4 necks and all the squrell tails were dry rotted of something , worst loss was the Golden Phesant and the old Jungle Cock that I got in about 1985 of so .

To make the best of this , everything I tye will be what I relly use .

Rained and thundered , with a bit of wind most of the day , about got the 4 wheeler back together , thanks to one of the guys I shoot with .

CB :blink:

I noticed this afternoon that I got a puddle of oil under my 4 wheeler. I used it to plow snow only a couple of times this winter. I'll have to pull it out tomorrow and have a look.

Well, I didn't get out yesterday to get the materials I need for Sam's bugs/minnows. Maybe Friday Sam.

I am going to have coffee with a fellow on Saturday morning, that is a bamboo rod builder. I am going to introduce him to my fishing partner. Bruce is a wood carver and he makes native artifacts. He made me two fishing nets. One is a short handle net and the other is a long handled boat net. The man is a wizard with a piece of wood. Great artist.

I need to find a way to take a picture of the little one and post it. The handle is carved like a raven's beak

with the world in it's mouth. Has some significance to the tribes but I do not know what it is.

No hurry at all....I'm just pleased as a promiscous possum in a presbyterian parade to get em any time!

Archived