SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1892 (new)

Marshal May

It's built in Japan by Miroku - it is probably one of the finest in regards to fit and finish.

Call Nate Kiowa Jones of Steves Gunz - he will give you the straight scoop

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

3 is a charm. I like the new model Winchester, Its not as easy to get a smooth fast action as the original types Rossie's and will not make a race gun, I am not a fast shooter anyway but I like the quality, fit , finish, tight headspace,mine was .002"kind of tight, stainless steel follower, etc. Gary

The New Winchesters are built very well. The takedown deluxe models are one of their best Rifles. I have done Action Jobs on many of these Rifles. With a Action Job these guns run smooth and fast. A huge improvement over the Rossi's. The NRA Cowboy Silhouette shooters are using these as well. I have tuned many rifles for this game add a Tang sight and good match front sights with a Trigger Job and you have a Percision Cowboy Silhouette Rifle.

Goatneck

This is only one man’s opinion but I have been working the 92's for the last 20 years so take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Over the years there has been several makers beside Winchester that have made 92’s. In the 1930's there was a Spanish copy known as the El Tigre. These were used a lot in the Hollywood "B" westerns when a throw down guns was needed. There were 3 rifleman 92's, one of which was an El Tigre used as the throwdown gun.

In the 1990's Armi San Marco marketed a 92. The Best thing I can say about it is it was historically correct even to the screw threads so the parts work in the originals. Otherwise they had serious QC problems.

Next, and I believe the finest 92 ever made was the B92 made for Browning by Miruko of Japan. It's as close to the ordinal design as possible and is made with modern steel. No tang safety, no lever activated trigger block, no stiff to cock rebounding hammer, no spring loaded 5 piece firing pin. But sadly it is no longer available and they only made 20" all blue carbines in 357m and 44mag. Production stopped in the late 80’s.

Recently, about 2004 Winchester re-introduced a 92. The Winchester/Miruko 92's were a reincarnation of the B92 and are just as finely fitted and finished but Winchester added all those liability safety parts like those mentioned above. Besides making the gun awful bumpy those add-on parts consist of several tiny parts that don't hold up well for the long haul. They will probably out live most of us but they will never be as durable as the original Winchester 92. Early on they were prone to stovepipe because the carrier detents were wrong. They use the original cartridge guide geometry that works well with bottleneck carts but not so well with straightwalls so they tend to be more ammo sensitive. Besides feeding issues some folks have had inconsistent ignition problems with the Win Miruko. All of these problems can be cured. What I do is convert the Miruko Win fire control parts to Rossi part but why bother if you are paying that kind of money.

The newest maker of the 92 is Armi Sport/Chiappa of Italy imported by LSI, Taylors and Cimarron. Like the Win Miruko it is well finished but may incur feeding problems. Both the New Wins and these Chiappa guns use cartridge guides configured much like the original Wins. You have to take in to account that about 30 to 40% of the cost to build a gun usually goes toward the final fit and finish. What that means is just because it look well fitted nad finish that doesn't guaranty it will work right.

Think about this. All the folks that made the original 92's are long dead and gone. The folks with the most experience building 92's now are the Rossi folks. They have been doing it for 30 something years. They aren't finished as nice as the others but they don't cost twice as much either and functionally it's closer to the original than the others so the dang things work. The cartidge guides are setup to run straight wall ammo so they are not as ammo sensitive. They don't have all those tiny add-on parts to fail and if you want it to run smoother they aren't that hard to work on.

The Rossi's generally get a bad rap because of the older very stiff pre-2000 guns. But, even those guns clean up well. The current Rossi's are the best bang for the buck, hands down. And, if you want it to look as nice spend the extra money and have it done or DIY.

This is only one man’s opinion but I have been working the 92's for the last 20 years so take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Over the years there has been several makers beside Winchester that have made 92’s. In the 1930's there was a Spanish copy known as the El Tigre. These were used a lot in the Hollywood "B" westerns when a throw down guns was needed. There were 3 rifleman 92's, one of which was an El Tigre used as the throwdown gun.

In the 1990's Armi San Marco marketed a 92. The Best thing I can say about it is it was historically correct even to the screw threads so the parts work in the originals. Otherwise they had serious QC problems.

Next, and I believe the finest 92 ever made was the B92 made for Browning by Miruko of Japan. It's as close to the ordinal design as possible and is made with modern steel. No tang safety, no lever activated trigger block, no stiff to cock rebounding hammer, no spring loaded 5 piece firing pin. But sadly it is no longer available and they only made 20" all blue carbines in 357m and 44mag. Production stopped in the late 80’s.

Recently, about 2004 Winchester re-introduced a 92. The Winchester/Miruko 92's were a reincarnation of the B92 and are just as finely fitted and finished but Winchester added all those liability safety parts like those mentioned above. Besides making the gun awful bumpy those add-on parts consist of several tiny parts that don't hold up well for the long haul. They will probably out live most of us but they will never be as durable as the original Winchester 92. Early on they were prone to stovepipe because the carrier detents were wrong. They use the original cartridge guide geometry that works well with bottleneck carts but not so well with straightwalls so they tend to be more ammo sensitive. Besides feeding issues some folks have had inconsistent ignition problems with the Win Miruko. All of these problems can be cured. What I do is convert the Miruko Win fire control parts to Rossi part but why bother if you are paying that kind of money.

The newest maker of the 92 is Armi Sport/Chiappa of Italy imported by LSI, Taylors and Cimarron. Like the Win Miruko it is well finished but may incur feeding problems. Both the New Wins and these Chiappa guns use cartridge guides configured much like the original Wins. You have to take in to account that about 30 to 40% of the cost to build a gun usually goes toward the final fit and finish. What that means is just because it look well fitted nad finish that doesn't guaranty it will work right.

Think about this. All the folks that made the original 92's are long dead and gone. The folks with the most experience building 92's now are the Rossi folks. They have been doing it for 30 something years. They aren't finished as nice as the others but they don't cost twice as much either and functionally it's closer to the original than the others so the dang things work. The cartidge guides are setup to run straight wall ammo so they are not as ammo sensitive. They don't have all those tiny add-on parts to fail and if you want it to run smoother they aren't that hard to work on.

The Rossi's generally get a bad rap because of the older very stiff pre-2000 guns. But, even those guns clean up well. The current Rossi's are the best bang for the buck, hands down. And, if you want it to look as nice spend the extra money and have it done or DIY.

The Winchester 1892 I'm referring to is the one Winchester sells directly. IIUC this was reintroduced by Winchester in early 2011 and has returned to being made by Miruko. Do you have any experience with this most recent direct from Winchester model?

LOL could not agree more !

I have Three Rossi 92s and love the guns.

They slick up nice and I am not fast enough to outrun the 92s.

I dont have over 1200.00 invested in Three of them.

And that is still cheaper then a 73 or 66.

Like NKJ said Rossi gits a bad rap most of the time, but dollar for dollar its the best cowboy action gun you can buy !

+1 for Nate Kiowa Jones. I have a B-92 in 357. Probably the best 92 ever made. I also have a late production Winchester 92, (a rifle with a crescent butt plate, and a 24" round barrel. Also a 357) with the rebound hammer and a tang safety. When I bought the gun, it wasn't that great. The gun wouldn't feed handloads, trigger was heavy, and the action felt really clunky. I was so disgunsted with the rifle I set it in the back of the safe, with the intention of selling it off at the first opportunity.

The rifle sat in the safe for several years. One day I read an thread on the wire about removing the rebound safety feature. I removed the rebound feature, and found that the rifle would function satisfactorily with a much lighter mainspring. I installed a lighter mainspring, and it made a world of difference. The action was really slick, the trigger pull was lighter. Soon after that, I found a 155 grain round nose flat point cast bullet that would feed flawlessly through the action. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now the rifle is slick, feeds 100%, and is very accurate. Man, it just don't get any better than that!

Both the Browning B-92s and the later production Winchester 92s show great fit and finish. The Miroku made clones seem to be a cut above the clones made in South America.

(The Miroku made clones seem to be a cut above the clones made in South America. )

IN NAME ONLY !

The Rossi stock out of the box has a better action .

The Rossi 92 is a very good gun for the money .

We have 2 mod 92's, a fairly new Rossi (New last summer) and a brand new Win. Out of the box the Rossi was hopelessly a mass of fail to feeds and jams. Could not get a full magazine through it without fighting a fiddeling with it for 2 or 3 rounds at least. Tried many different load lengths, bullet noses and both .38 and .357's. it was hopeless. Sent it off to the Cowboys and Indians Store and had it worked over, now its is great. Slick, and fast (at least faster than we are) and smooth. The Winchester worked flawlessly out of the box, but it IS much stiffer and tight. Over the winter we will send it to C&I store to have it worked over to smooth it out. At least out of the box it worked without fail as compared to the Rossi.

KB

Archived