SASS Wire Forum

Shot my '73 in a Steel Challenge Match

Buckshot Frank

I shot my '73 in a Steel Challenge match on Saturday. There were a couple of other cowboys there, so we had our own little competition. I hate to use the P word, but it was fantastic practice. Smaller target (mostly 8" plates) at about 10-25 yards. For those who haven't shot in a steel match, there are 5 targets per stage, one being the stop plate. You can shoot them in any order (with the stop plate being last). You shoot each of the five stages five times, so you shoot more than double the rifle rounds of a standard CAS match. It was a fun way to practice. It is also a great way to expose other shooters to our game!

Do they have any other rifle categories? Steel Challenge is usually handguns only. Ruger Rimfire matches are similar to Steel Challenge stages with both .22 cal handguns and rifles being used. Smokin Gator

Only pistol caliber (or .22LR) carbine/rifles can be used.

Other than us cowboys shooting the '73s, the only other rifles I saw being used were AR's chambered in .22LR.

Doc S- I thought about shooting my revolvers also, but I didn't want to slow everybody down with the reloading time. I feel bad enough about reloading the '73. I didn't want to double up on slow-to-reload guns.

A local club recently started Steel Challenge and I shot the December match with a borrowed Buckmark in the rimfire iron sight match. I finished second in my category (a distant second to be sure).

The host range is "pistols only" (not even rimfire rifles are allowed) but I was thinking it would be fun to shoot with the '73.

I brought my cowboy revolvers and holsters thinking I would probably win the cowboy revolver class being the only person in it (I was right about being the only one). Most of the shooters were using autoloaders with five preloaded magazines and I was a little reluctant to slow down the squad loading and unloading my RNVs.

Before I left I re-ran one stage with my Rugers. My solution to speed it up a little was to put a bucket at my feet to drop my empties into. I kept a full ammo box on the table to my left. If I do it again I might charge the chambers as I empty them. At the time though I just cleared all the chambers as if I were at the ULT.

I like shooting small plates on occasion with my cowboy guns. Definitely a change of pace. The distance to targets was longer; one Steel Challenge stage had the stop plate at 35 yards (at least it was a large rectangular target).

Steel Challenge rules allow loading six chambers. That means you get only one miss or you have to holster and draw the second gun. It reminded me that I need to "paper" my guns again and grind my front sights (they shoot a little low with my usual 105 grain bullets).

Next month I might shoot a rimfire the first time out and then shoot a full second round with the cowboy guns. Entry fee for second gun is half price.

It was interesting to see what people shoot. Kind of like seeing all the Western guns at my first cowboy match. One of the "top guns" seems to be 1911 frame topped with a Marvel Unit 1 conversion and a good quality optical sight. Easily costs as much as a short stroked '73.

People were fairly friendly; as a mentioned I was shooting a borrowed gun.

We have one every other month.

I shoot my ROA's with conversion clyinders dualist.

Yes the 8" round target are a challenge.

Anytime I can beat a two handed shooter I feel pretty good.

I have thought about showing with my 73 as I would be the only one. I think I could give those semi auto pistol shooters a good go with my rifle.

I found Steel Challenge great practice for Cowboy shooting. It forces you to get on both the front and back sights, not just the front sights as most of us typically are guilty of doing. The other amazing thing is the lack of work involved. It takes little or not time to set up and tear down. Plus, during the match, the most you do is paint targets between shooters, time or record scores. Since I was the "new guy" nothing but painting targets fell my way. I felt almost lazy out there and was tempted to start picking up 22 hulls just for something to do.

I found Steel Challenge great practice for Cowboy shooting. It forces you to get on both the front and back sights, not just the front sights as most of us typically are guilty of doing. The other amazing thing is the lack of work involved. It takes little or not time to set up and tear down. Plus, during the match, the most you do is paint targets between shooters, time or record scores. Since I was the "new guy" nothing but painting targets fell my way. I felt almost lazy out there and was tempted to start picking up 22 hulls just for something to do.

I know what you mean; I felt the same way. I accidently arrived about 1/2 hour early, so I set up two stages. It didn't take any time at all, and there wasn't much to do while not shooting during the match. Us cowboy shooters picked up each other's brass, but nobody else bothered to pick up their brass. I ended up staying after the match and filled my range bag with 9mm and .40 brass.

Coffee Pot- It was at the Antelope Club. The matches are held on the 3rd Saturday of every month.

Archived