SASS Wire Forum

Brass Shot Shells

Come On Christmas

I watched a video on youtube and this cat drilled out the bottom of a Magtech Brass Case for a 209 primer.

Have any of youins done this? Sounds Reasonable. Boy if it works I am thinking I can do all the loading on a Lee Load All II.

Shameless

Why? Just to prime/deprime? Sounds like a way to mess up some costly brass to me.

I hand seat my LP primers on a block of wood and then use the Lee LoadAll to flush 'em with the base, then finish up for powder, fiberwad, and shot.

Seal it off with a card & beeswax.

I have heard of it, have wanted to try it but never know how or what to do to do it

I've seen the pics before. There is not a lotta case head thickness on those shells to give support once the existing primer pocket is drilled away. The area where the lip on the perimeter of a 209 would sit is pretty thin, and would be even less so once counterbored... I'd much prefer the RCBS shell holder and prime em on the press with ordinary LP primers.

I've seen the pics before. There is not a lotta case head thickness on those shells to give support once the existing primer pocket is drilled away. The area where the lip on the perimeter of a 209 would sit is pretty thin, and would be even less so once counterbored... I'd much prefer the RCBS shell holder and prime em on the press with ordinary LP primers.

I've tought about doing it; but didn't for just this reason. Priming with LPPs isn't any more time consuming than using 209s, so why chance it.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

I have done this with 16 gauge magtech shells, because they were Berdan primed. I don't know how picky you are about quality work... but you can't see it on the video you posted becasue that fella does not show a close up of the really crappy result of hand held drilling.

Basically you need to have a really rock-solid means of holding both the shell and drill steady or the final workman ship looks like crap with jagged looking nicks where the bit slips and jumps.

Even if it looks like crap, it will work well as shown. Mine did and they look like crap too. I would not bother to do this if the shells are Boxer primed. You can't find properly tested published recipies anyway.

You do need to champher or counter sink the hole or, your shotgun may not let you close and lock due to high primer.

Once you do this, the shells will be virtually un-sellable, especially if the holes look bad. Good luck and have fun.

I had a bunch of Russian Steel SG Hulls that I bought some years ago and reloaded them the same way this guy did using a 15/64th inch drill. I also modified a couple of Brass hulls I had floating around the shop to see if they would work as well.

I also checked out E-Bay for antique Shot Gun reloading stuff and found both a Lee Loader in 12 Gage and an Antique primer seater for brass shells using large Pistol or Rifle primers.

His way works, if you want to invest the time and effort. Repriming with #209 primers is easier, for me, YMMV.

I like the part in the video where he says (paraphrase)

"Its not gonna rust it's just gonna corrode."

And remember, no wilderness camp is complete without a Dewalt drill.

Good post none the less. Thanks.

I re-load 16's and 12 gauge Brass shells with both BP & smokless powder.

This guy is a joke. :lol:

No way 209's are cheaper than LP primers.

I get the Wilderness bit, however his seating procedure is very primitive indeed for the primers. Doing it his way you run a big risk of buckling the case mouth, then the case is useless for sure.

I have 75 shells that have been drilled out 15/64 and countersunk just a tad with a 3/8 bit so they close in the sxs.

Have been useing them for over 3 years now with no primer trouble at all and deprime and load on a Lee Load All or my Mec Jr.

That might be the thing to do with alcan primered shells.

The Alcans I have (200+) already use the 209 primer, and I load on the Lee all the time with them. I also roll crimp them with an old style antique roller. Makes a cool shell. ;)

I watched the video....and cringed up a mite when he seated the primer. Just knew the case mouth was gonna buckle or the primer go off. Sorta reminded me of a "Hey Bubba, watch this" episode. Was kinda surprised when neither happened.

Ain't saying it can't or shouldn't be done. But I ain't got a reason fer doing it either. ^_^

Oh, I dunno Bob. I sawr where a shooter was having problems with squibs and Brass Shells. Some shooters are opening up the flash holes. Then I see "Nature Boy's" video on You Tube when I did a search.

I put the think on it and decided to enlarge the flash hole and stay with the Large Pistol Primers. I figured out to order the 45 Long Colt DeCap pin part for the Lee Hand Loader from Lee. Basically a chisel/drift pin with the correct pin size ($5).

I come up with solutions when I discuss them with others and some times the wheels turn and I come up with my own particular remedy.

Shameless

Archived