SASS Wire Forum

trail boss loading data for 45-70 cast bullets

Irish Pat

According to the current Hodgdons Reloading Handbook, in the Cowboy Action section, the data there shows that Trail Boss is only good for about 1000 FPS at near maximum chamber pressures with a 405 grain bullet, and shows a top recommended velocity for a 300 gr. bullet at 1285 FPS.

Studying that data, it is very evident that Trail Boss is a very POOR powder for the 45-70, yielding very high chamber pressures with only moderate bullet velocities.

Accorging to the charts, Hodgdons Varget powder gives much higher velocities with much milder chamber pressures.

The difference between the performance of two powders is huge, and as far as I'm concerned, it rules out the use of Trail Boss completely, for use in this caliber.

The listings fot using Hodgdon's H4895 and H4198 powders are significantly better than Trail Boss also, but Varget is the stand-out choice. H4198 is the most economical choice, and will produce velocities of approx 1500 FPS with less than 15,000 CUP chamber pressures. Maximum SAAMI pressure limit on the 45-70 is 28,000 CUP.

RBK

RBK

I shoot Trailboss with 405gr lead bullets. It works great! When the target goes "clang" it doesn't matter to me what the velocity was. I have tried some of the other great powders for .45/70 but my shoulder likes TB. I primarily use it in "Texas Plainsman" match shooting. If I were shooting long range I might change to a different powder.

Your mileage may vary,

Blackfoot

i agree with blackfoot, nice load @100yds (TB+405g)...and dont need gas checked bullets, and is FUN to shoot....my "hot 45-70 JHP 300g" uses 4198 and its a really nice "potent" load...to use 4198 on lead, one would need a lead gas checked bullet i believe...

but to each his own, i use TB for many various round from .39 .45acp 45 colt 12g shotgun and 45-70....suits my needs for lower recoil and ease of use...

Guys

I will jump in , with MY thoughts , I have worked up several loads with TB , IF you are staying under 150 yd of so it is a nice low recoial loading , They seem to "run out of gas " about 150 in the 45-70 .

I have changed to Acc 5744 for the 45-70 and the 38-55 , I think it does a better job , with a very slight increase on recoil .

This is just MY oponion and exprerance , You may get differant results .

CB

Guys

I will jump in , with MY thoughts , I have worked up several loads with TB , IF you are staying under 150 yd of so it is a nice low recoial loading , They seem to "run out of gas " about 150 in the 45-70 .

I have changed to Acc 5744 for the 45-70 and the 38-55 , I think it does a better job , with a very slight increase on recoil .

This is just MY oponion and exprerance , You may get differant results .

CB

You're a tough hombre if you call the recoil increase "very slight" :P - CR

I use Trail Boss for several different calibers, but .45-70 is not one of them.

To make a long story short, the loads listed for Trail Boss and a 405 Grain bullet have a lower velocity and a higher pressure than loads woth 4064 and 4895, both of which have given me excellent results in my 1884 Trapdoor rifle.

Also, the Trail Boss loads did not used to be listed in the "Trapdoor safe" data, and even though they now are, I am still leary of it in that caliber.

I have to agree with Chickasaw Bill - 5744 is a great powder for the 45-70.

I tried Varget and 4198 with mixed results. Both left a lot of unburnt kernels in the bore, even with a tight crimp.

Looked like roasted grass seed, and was a helluva mess.

However, I solved all my smokeless experiment problems by switching to 777. ;)

Archived