SASS Wire Forum

Problem loading Open Tops

I have a pair of 1872 Open Tops that I really love shooting. At a recent shoot I went to the loading table and started loading them and the rounds would not go into the cylinder. I didn't have time to diagnose the problem and shot my back-ups. Well I first thought that the cylinder was dirty and just needed cleaning so I cleaned them. Well the problem still exists. The rounds will slide in and out of the with out a problem with the cylinder out of the gun. When I reassemble the gun though the rounds bind on the lower side of the loading gate opening only going into the cylinder about half way. It is like the cylinder is over indexing at half cock. I assume that I will need to have a competent gunsmith look at it. But I would sure like to know what would cause both guns to have this problem all at once. Any ideas or suggestions on fixing the problem? I love shooting these guns.

Thanks,

Marshal Jack Murphy

Larsen Pettifogger is the expert on these pistolas. Mighten oughta shoot him a line.

I love my Opentops in .44 Colt and have not had the problems you describe thought to this amateur sounds like the wedge is sucking things together.

I have 3 open tops.A 60 army conversion,a 51 RM and a 72.What I've found is that's kind of the way they're made.When I got the 1st one it did the same so I keep it just shy of the lock position for both loading and unloading.The unloading is more of the case than the loading.The wedge will effect it more for binding when trying to cock it after some carbon build up on the front of the cylinder than it will in the loading and unloading process.I use a feeler gauge when I reassemble mine and try to keep the cylinder to barrel gap at about .005-.006.

What Charlie Whiskers said... the "default" click position for both loading and unloading in my 45s, not sure about other calibers, does not line up with the chamber. I rotate the cylinder a smidge forward to line things up to load or unload. I guess it's a design feature. :rolleyes:

The wedge being to far in decreases the gap between the barrel and the cylinder, possibly making it hard to cock because of friction but definitely making it easier to foul up from powder residue. The not lining up at the click to load and unload is a different thing all together.

Charlie and Mad Dog's experience mirrors my own with a pair of Navy 38s I had and the Army 44Spec's I have now, they just seem to be finicky as to where you rotate the cylinder to when loading. Not the best design if you have to do a bunch of reloads on the clock or such but just make up some dummy rounds and practice the procedure till you find the sweet spot and burn it into the memory.

I've never had a problem loading my Opentops, I turn the cylinder by hand, when the chamber is aligned, I drop in the cartridge. Don't back the cylinder against the hand to load or unload, as the location of the ejector and gate is not the same as the SAA, and the chambers won't align there.

I've had interference unloading, mainly with the 45 Schofield cylinder, as the rim is larger than the 44 and the gate is almost too small for it. No problems at all as a 38, and the 44 clears as well.

To unload the 44, I just open the gate, tip up the gun and turn the cylinder by hand, they generally just fall out.

Is this a "new" problem or an on-going problem since new?? What caliber??

Coffinmaker

I've been shooting mine for 2 years now.One was a used one I bought off of the wire and the other two were new.All in 38.One of them...I forget which one can load and unload in the "lock" position.I forget which one right now since I got in the habit of not taking any of them to lock when loading and unloading.What I also did to cure the carbon "drag" problem when cocking was have my gunsmith file the cylinder end of the barrel then re chamfer the forcing cone.What that does is no matter where or how deep the wedge is seated,it still leaves clearance for carbon buildup on the front of the cylinder.

Coffinmaker

I've shot mine for 4 years now. I've read of others having the issue, all 45s. Like Flint I rotate mine so that I can load it just past the click to where the chamber is in line. No big deal, not sure if there even is a fix. I also shoot BP and give them a squirt of Balistol every other stage or so if it starts to drag because of fouling.

Coffinmaker

Yes it is a new problem. They are chambered in 45 scholfield.

I have had the guns for about 2 years and never had this problem. I checked the wedges as a few responders suggested, on one of the guns the wedge was pushed in quite a ways so I pushed it back to the proper position and problem fixed.

On the other gun which seem to have the problem worse, I disassembled the gun completely because adjusting the wedge did not resolve the problem. Now the gun needs to go to a gunsmith before I make it worse.blush.gif

Thanks for all the replies. At least one gun is back to normal.

Marshal Jack Murphy

If your Gunsmith is familiar with the Open Top type of handgun, while he/she has it, have the arbor/barrel fit fixed while there at it. Check the serial numbers stamped on the cylinders to insure you don't have the cylinders in the wrong gun. Beyond that, I'd hesitate to suggest a fix without having the gun in my hands. Normally, loading is not a problem with an Open Top. Ejection can be a problem but usually in a .38. Since it's a "new" problem and I don't know what you did to the guns last, there are too many possibilities to speculate.

Coffinmaker

Archived