SASS Wire Forum

This Date in History

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned this date in history. Our country, and probably the world where changed 48 years ago today. I was only 3 1/2 at the time, but I do remember the profound effect this day had on my parents and grandparents. Unfortunately, every generation seems to have "A day that will live in infamy" and I know for a lot of folks today's date is theirs.

I was in spanish class in school, we were all shocked.

And the very next day, my dad took me to the local gun store and I got my Ithaca lever-action .22.

Even back then folks knew politicians would do "knee-jerk" legislation to ban guns.

You just beat me to it, TT. I was starting to compose something about the time you hit send.

Some of the great "What ifs" stem from that event. How would the civil rights movement developed? Would what we call Johnson's Great Society programs have come about under JFK? How about the huge disruption of Viet Nam? How would that have worked out if Kennedy had been at the helm rather than Johnson?

I remember Mother Magdaline coming just one step into my first grade classroom, no color in her face,and saying "The President has been shot. The Rosary will start in 15 minutes."

As bad a day for our Republic and when Lincoln was murdered. Not in terms of the man himself, our Republic shouldn't be so weak as to have the death of one man sink it. But in terms of what happened to our laws and institutions and the balance of power because of the act.

I remember it very well even tho I was only 9. My grade school teacher told us all while we were going to P.E. class in the gym.

I was glued to the TV for the entire funeral procession. For some reason, I was heartbroken at what had happened.

I was in 3rd. period Art Class 8th grade. School let us go home early. I had a paper route and remember folding Newspapers with the Headline JFK SHOT. I remember delivering them as people were crying and wondering what they were going to do now. Watched Walter Cronkite on TV

Big Jake

I was in 10th grade Printing class, came over the loud speaker and we were all shocked! Went home and was glued to the TV with my mom and a couple of friends. I'll never forget seeing Oswald getting shot on live TV! Wow!:excl:

I was at a promotion party in Bamberg, Germany when the news came out. Height of the cold war. We assumed that the balloon was going up. Our unit was not mentioned in the USAREurope after the 3rd day of hostilities. Pucker factor was intense.

I put on my fatigues, kissed my wife and babies goodbye and left for the unit. Did not return home for 4 days after the East Germans and Russians started pulling their units away from the East German border.

Archived