SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero Birds Head

Yohanaqua

For all you birds-head grip affectionados out there.......this morning I saw a short barrelled New Model Vaquero at a local gun dealer. It was .45 Colt and in stainless. The dealer said that Ruger had just started producing them and that this gun was probably one of the first 500 or so produced. I am a great fan of the original Vaquero in BH configuration and it is good to see that Ruger is bringing it back in the New Vaquero. The BH grip just seems to fit me perfectly so I have shot them for almost 10 years since the originals were out. Of course this means more guns to buy in the future! Ain't life grand! Tis' a shame Ruger doesn't make them with a proper case-hardened finish. The original case hardening wasn't case hardening at all and did not wear well. It was so poor a finish that if you contacted Ruger and pitched enough of a fit they would reblue your frame at no charge.

ML

Didn't see them on Ruger's website yet...something in the future perhaps?

I actually liked the case-harden look the Rugers came out with....my 'original model' Vaquero 7 1/2" barreled version still has some of that finish on it, but it is starting to have that 'antiqued' look....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I am a great fan of the original Vaquero in BH configuration

Me too ... a pair of old model 45 Colt RVSSBH, limited production is 2000 with 4 5/8" barrels! I put a pair of white Corian gunfighter BH grips that were checked on them and couldn't be more pleased

I'm actually having my case hardened framed OMV-BH's refinished in master blue. The original finish looked awesome in the beginning but held up like crap. The original finish was so bad it would rust sitting in a barrel of oil.

I'm having them shortstroked now, refinished next, then to Outlaw Grips for some Blue Buckeye Burl grips. They will then go from my back-ups to my main match guns.

My current guns are stainless OMV-BH's. They were originally plow handled but I bought the BH frames from Ruger and then Lassiter fitted them when he did the action work.

All 4 guns have my alias engraved on the backstrap. The stainless ones have "Law" on one barrel and "Order" on the other. The case hardened guns have "Justice" on one and "Revenge" on the other.

I can't wait to get them all done. I will post pics when i get them finished.

JEL......Who loves the birdsheads!

If they are coming out with them again, I guess I will just have to get another pair!

I believe that these revolvers that you folks are talking about are a special issue by Talo. From what I hear, they are being produced in both 45 LC and 45 acp.

It is not 2 cylinders (ie convertibles) with each revolver but 2 distinct revolvers. Since they are a special Talo based issue, they would not be appearing on the Ruger website. They ARE on the Lipsey's website with pics and details.

I hear quantities are rather limited. Maybe 1000 of the 45LC and only 250 of the 45acp are slated to be issued. I saw them appear on Gunbroker around the middle of last week and promptly ordered one in each configuration.

Just passing on what little I know. I like Ruger birdsheads in all their glorious forms. I am sure that many other folks do to. Although these new revolvers are I think a slightly slimmed-down version (as opposed to the beefier "Original-issued" Vaqueros), I would imagine they will be fine with the Cowboy-type ammo I plan to shoot in them.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my SASS friends-

Flatbush

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Had two of these here.. Larry Crow slicked (notice there ain't no barrel-writin' on it)... consec serial numbers... but unfortunately, the other got confiscated and ordered destroyed.

ROV...Birdshead .45

ts

Me too ... a pair of old model 45 Colt RVSSBH, limited production is 2000 with 4 5/8" barrels! I put a pair of white Corian gunfighter BH grips that were checked on them and couldn't be more pleased

Same here...I have a pair and half at 4 5/8 inch and four pairs of 3 inch...A pair of each in SS are back strap engraved...They all look good...

Texas Lizard

Archived