SASS Wire Forum

Base wad

Noz

Talked to a shooter at Possum Trot that had the base wad on an new AA hull separate and lodge in the barrel. He found it when he attempted to clean the gun. It obviously was from the last shot fired. He had to use a heavy rod and drive it out. Would have blown the barrel for sure.

Ouch ! A fella would never know until it was WAAAAY too late. Another vote for Remmie STS

It seemed to me that a few years ago the AA hulls began to loose it's reputation for reloading purposes. Don't know exactly what they did but they (IMHO) seemed to be constructed with a lower quality material. For the last three years I only reload STS and NITRO hulls and don't have any material failures. Now I have had some reload failures but then I guess everyone does. See ya'll at CMC.

When the AA hulls switched over to the 2 piece type I cut both apart to see what is was all about. I use the 2 piece type all the time for my BP shell as I can get free once fired shells just by going through the trash at any shoot. So can sombody explain to me how the base wad can get shot into the barrel when it is behind the powder? Seems to me it would be shoved backwards by the pressure, don't see how it could go forward. I'm willing to bet it was part of the cushion wad that was in the barrel, not part of the AA shell. But then I wasn't there and didn't see the offending wad.

When the AA hulls switched over to the 2 piece type I cut both apart to see what is was all about. I use the 2 piece type all the time for my BP shell as I can get free once fired shells just by going through the trash at any shoot. So can sombody explain to me how the base wad can get shot into the barrel when it is behind the powder? Seems to me it would be shoved backwards by the pressure, don't see how it could go forward. I'm willing to bet it was part of the cushion wad that was in the barrel, not part of the AA shell. But then I wasn't there and didn't see the offending wad.

Same thoughts here. Just take a hacksaw and rip one open and see how it is put together, and ya will see there is no way possible for it to happen, short of a miracle.

Archived