SASS Wire Forum

45-70 load

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

I have looked everywhere unsuccessfully for a trail Boss load for 45-70 450gr lrnfp but can't find one. I would appreciate if some one could pm me a recipe for this.

Thank you for your time.

I have looked everywhere unsuccessfully for a trail Boss load for 45-70 450gr lrnfp but can't find one. I would appreciate if some one could pm me a recipe for this.

Thank you for your time.

They have loads listed on their website that has been mentioned by others.

Question: Do you plan on running these loads through a Trapdoor or Lever Action rifle?

For the longest time, the Trail Boss load was NOT listed in the Trapdoor safe section, and then about two years ago, it suddenly way.

But what struck me as odd was that it had a much lower velocity and a much higher pressure that what some other powders listed. For that reason, .45-70 is one of the very few calibers I won't use Trail Boss for, and I use for, well, at least a dozen others.

Take it for what it is worth.

Howdy, Pards,

I've seen loads listed for the .45-70 using Unique! That does NOT make that powder anywhere near optimum for that cartridge. Trail Boss is a fairly fast-burning powder primarily developed for pistol cartridge loads where the density of most other smokeless pistol powders, ESPECIALLY with light loads can make for problems. By comparison with, say, .45 LC, the .45-70 case is cavernous! There are several rifle powders that are far more suitable for the .45-70, including 5744, IMR3031, IMR4198, H4198, and even 4831 in its various incarnations. Initial velocities with BP and lead bullets was between 1175 and 1320 ft/sec, depending on whether the carbine load (.45-55-405) or rifle load (.45-70-405/500) was being used in either the long or short barrel. There are plenty of good smokeless loads listed in the Lyman manuals for Trapdoor Springfield pressures.

Ride careful, Pards! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your obdt servant,

Howdy, Pards,

I've seen loads listed for the .45-70 using Unique! That does NOT make that powder anywhere near optimum for that cartridge. Trail Boss is a fairly fast-burning powder primarily developed for pistol cartridge loads where the density of most other smokeless pistol powders, ESPECIALLY with light loads can make for problems. By comparison with, say, .45 LC, the .45-70 case is cavernous! There are several rifle powders that are far more suitable for the .45-70, including 5744, IMR3031, IMR4198, H4198, and even 4831 in its various incarnations. Initial velocities with BP and lead bullets was between 1175 and 1320 ft/sec, depending on whether the carbine load (.45-55-405) or rifle load (.45-70-405/500) was being used in either the long or short barrel. There are plenty of good smokeless loads listed in the Lyman manuals for Trapdoor Springfield pressures.

Ride careful, Pards! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your obdt servant,

Unique powder makes a GREAT "lite" .45-70 load with either 350 or 405 gn bullets.

Been run'n it in an japchester'86 for years. Make sure you use a FIRM crimp and all will be good.

Respectfully,

LG

If you are not positively married to Trail Boss - AA5744 or Hogdon Varget seem to work pretty good out of my Armi Sports Sharps and Navy arms RB. Shooting about 1 grain less than max from Lyman 47 manual (trapdoor load). Still working on Holy Black Load 65 grains is ok, but looking for that magic 1 MOA.

If you are married to Trail Boss and can't find data for your 450gr bullets you can call Hodgdon and talk with a technician.

They will give you the dope if there is a recommendation for your bullets.

Drifter

Archived