SASS Wire Forum

Moose goes swimming

They are lucky the moose didn't charge them!

They are lucky the moose didn't charge them!

Ok........I give up......................................

How much did dat moose charge'em ?? :P

Hey Mo Hare

Thanks for the video. Good thing it wasn't a big one, huh? Might have taken a lot more guys pulling on the rope.

He charged them a six pack of Moosehead beer for every minute they watched.. lol

I guess it was not the season for hunting...Seems like it would have quicker...And a full freezer...

Texas Lizard

Oct 15 to 23, but you need to win the lottery to get a tag (odds one in 27). tags are by WMU (Wildlife management unit) and some tags are for antlerless moose only, no hunting at night, no matter how convenient the target is and there might be a city limits restriction too (discharging a firearm within 300 ft of an occupied dwelling, iirc).

NH Moose hunt facts:

• Average dressed weight of all yearling bulls taken in 2010 was 417 pounds. The average dressed weight of all bulls aged 5.5 and older in 2010 was 670 pounds.
  • The largest bull moose ever taken in N.H. weighed in at 1,040 pounds, dressed weight, taken in 1993. Live weight of this moose would have been approximately 1,400 pounds. The largest cow ever taken dressed at 815 pounds. These two animals came from Zone A2 and both were taken in 1993.
  • Greatest antler spread measurement for moose taken in New Hampshire is 68.5 inches, taken in A-2 in 2010 by Jack Middleton.
  • Moose have been taken with the use of conventional firearms and archery, handguns, muzzleloaders (including flintlocks) and the longbow. In 2010, 96% of hunters took their moose using conventional firearms (rifle or shotgun).
  • 64% of the harvest occurred in the first 3 days of the 2010 season.
    2010 N.H. Moose Hunt Highlights:
    • Largest bull 970 lbs. dressed weight, taken in WMU E2, town ofJackson, by Leslie Fox.
    • Largest cow 730 lbs. dressed weight, taken in WMU B, town of Milan, by Wendy Sheridan.
    • Greatest antler spread 68.5 inches, taken in WMU A2, town of Dixville by Jack Middleton.
    • Oldest hunter Frank Chase Jr.; 84 years old, took a 490-lb. bull in WMU A2 .
    • Youngest hunter Luke Beaulieu, 11 years old, took a 565-lb. bull in WMU A2, with a muzzleloader.

Many years ago I was one of two adult leaders for an Explorer Scout white water/canoe expedition in upper Ontario on the Missanabbi River. It was 350 miles of largely uninhabited territory. My older adult colleague (my former Scoutmaster) and I had purchased hunting tags for a deer (me) and a moose. I carried my Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer and he carried his Model 12. We planned to collect one or other.

The only moose we actually saw was in the river with us. Here we are in 6 fiberglass C2 white water boats with 10 kids ages 15 to 18, and this HUGE rack and head comes up from under the water in the midst of our little flotilla....YIKES cannot express our surprise! A moose in the water is faster than anyone would think, but our Scouts were faster! It was all we could do to get out of his way; we watched him come up on the shoreline, at least 6 ft high at the shoulder, and disappear into the brush.

Three nights later a moose walked through our camp at night walking OVER the tents. The hoof was nearly 11 inches across.

DD

"Hey what's that Moose doing in your swimming pool?"

"The dog paddle."

Bada Bing

Or as Mason Williams said...

How about Them Moose Goosers,

Ain't they recluse?

Up in them boondocks,

Goosin' them moose.

Goosin' them huge moose,

Goosin' them tiny,

Goosin' them meadow-moose

In they hiney.

Look at Them Moose Goosers,

Ain't they dumb?

Some use an umbrella,

Some use a thumb.

Them obtuse Moose Goosers,

Sneakin' through the woods,

Pokin' them snoozy moose

In they goods.

How to be a Moose Gooser?

It'll turn ye puce.

Gitchy gooser loose and

Rouse a drowsy moose! :lol:

Many years ago I did a lot of bicycling with The Germinator in the North Country (aka, Grands Bois du Nord). We decided "what does it mean when you are in the middle of nowhere and see cars parked on both sides of the road for as far as you can see?" Answer there is a moose grazing somewhere, probably in a pond up to his shoulders eating lily pads.

Many years ago I did a lot of bicycling with The Germinator in the North Country (aka, Grands Bois du Nord). We decided "what does it mean when you are in the middle of nowhere and see cars parked on both sides of the road for as far as you can see?" Answer there is a moose grazing somewhere, probably in a pond up to his shoulders eating lily pads.

Yup, years ago I was driving on Route 302 through Bartlett on my way to Crawford Notch. Some cars were pulled off to the right up ahead. As I approached, a couple of people jumped out in the road and motioned for me to stop. I stopped and 2 seconds later two full grown moose trotted across the road right in front of me. All I could see out the windshield was legs. If I had not been stopped, I would have hit them.

Archived