SASS Wire Forum

Shooting during the SASS Convention

Shooting Bull

Brace yourself, this is going to be a rant. :angry: I'm starting this thread so as not to hijack another one.

For the few short years I've been in SASS I've been "listening" to folks here on the Wire say they won't attend the Convention since there's no shooting available. (No, wax bullets aren't my idea of a real SASS match either.) Well those folks couldn't be more wrong, there IS shooting available. As a matter of fact, one of the best clubs in the country, Eldorado Cowboys, holds their monthly shoot the very same weekend as the Convention. You can shoot either Saturday or Sunday.

In the past members of the Eldorado Cowboys have offered up guns, ammo, leather, transportation, secure storage if you want to bring your own guns; pretty much anything and everything you'd need to shoot a match. Yet I can count on one hand the people I know of who've taken us up on these offeres.

If you can't, or don't want to attend the Convention, that's obviously your choice. But please, for Heaven's sake, do NOT say it's because there's not shooting available. Shooting IS available. Darn good shooting too.

Hope to see you at both the Convention and at the range. :FlagAm:

I shot with the El Dorado Cowboys during the first SASS convention. They are a great bunch of folks.

These days I'm working the booth for Guns of the Old West at the convention, so I can't get out to shoot on sunday, but, if you can make the time, I highly recommend shooting with these folks.

Philly,I've had the pleasure now of shooting 3 times with you folks. I gotta say to anyone that wants to shoot with one of the most fun clubs in the country...go shoot with the El Dorado Cowboys.Not only fun,but great folks to be around.

Point taken Silly Phlim. But...

There is no "But"...

Philly is 100% correct.

Year after year, we see shooters whining about the convention and spouting off that they would go "Except there is no real shooting".

Well, there has been real shooting year after year and the Eldorado Cowboys have made offer after offer to accomodate ANYONE that wanted to shoot. (with their guns, without their guns, with ammo, without ammo, with transportation, without transporation, etc. , etc., etc.)

Now I don't really care one way or the other if you want to attend the convention or not.

But if you're looking for a reason to not attend - complain about something else (and there is plenty else to complain about), but "I aint going, because there aint no real shooting" is blatantly untrue.

WELL SLIM...I usually shoot the Wax Match...but since there's NOT going to be one this year...I think you've got me fired up to bring my riggin' and join you folks. I'll be a LITTLE busy with the Cowboy Memorial Chapel business... but lets see if I can make it work and "irritate" you fellers one of those two days. ;)

WELL SLIM...I usually shoot the Wax Match...but since there's NOT going to be one this year...I think you've got me fired up to bring my riggin' and join you folks. I'll be a LITTLE busy with the Cowboy Memorial Chapel business... but lets see if I can make it work and "irritate" you fellers one of those two days. ;)

Oh please, I shoot with Creeker. You'd have to go a LOOOOOOONG way to irritate me. :lol:

Creeker / Slim -

I reckon I'll explain my 'but..' not that it will make any difference.

To me the draw of the convention is the seminars, especially now that you can attend unlimited seminars with just the general registration. Along with that is the people, getting to meet folks that I might not run into any where else, granted, I'd do that at your range as well. I'm not into the ball and I ain't a TG or VIP, so much of the rest isn't important to me.

If I'm going to spend 100+ bucks on the convention (not counting travel, lodging, food, and ext) I want to be able to do as much of it as possible. Taking a day out of that would limit somewhat what I could do at the convention.

Now if I'd been to the convention before, I probably wouldn't care, but I ain't, not that I'm going this year neither.

Anyhow, there it is, like it, not, disagree, whatever. I hope you all are able to pull in some shooters from the convention.

Grizz

I would prefer to attend a shoot that hosted the convention @ the same location. Myself and others use to shoot "The Stampede" years ago and we would have attended a convention @ Buffalo Bill's, heck we had our own little convention after the shoot. A downtown location is not what I envision for the SASS convention. IMHO it should be held out of town @ a range. I aint going to a convention just to play "Cowboy Barbie". I joined SASS to shoot!

LL' :)

Archived