SASS Wire Forum

38-55 RCBS Cowboy Dies Custom Expander Plug

Doc McGee, SASS #51213

I have a Marlin Model 336 converted by Marlin to 38-55. My gunsmith says that the slugged bore dia is .3795". I did have the chamber resized to allow the larger bullets to chamber properly.

Problem is that even the .379" expander plug does not appear large enough for the .381" cast bullets that the barrel needs. Reloaded cartridges are always bulged in the neck, sorta like a buck in rut.

I found .381 cast bullets that shoot very well if the bullets are not canted.

Do I need a custom expander plug to allow the .381" bullets to seat without bulging the case neck?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Doc McGee

Doc, IMO, the best approach would be to order a 40 cal expander plug and die from Track of the Wolf ... http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=2&subId=190&styleId=926&partNum=DIE-40-COMPRESS

Then measure the ID of your brass and turn the 40 cal plug down to the desired diameter so you have 0.001 to 0.002 neck tension. Might also order the Lee Universal Neck Expander die

The standard Lee and Lyman plugs are not sized for cast bullets in the 380 to 382 diameter range to provide the proper neck tension

Well Scratch, I tried to contact Buffalo Arms for a bit of clarification on their product descriptions. Specifically, the meaning of the size range of their custom expander plugs.

The response I recieved essentially gave me H### for contacting them for information. They completely ignored my request for clarification and responded with the most discourteous response I've received from anyone or any business.

Sooo, it'll be a cold day in H### before I do any additional business with Buffalo Arms.

Doc McGee

:D Redding Profile Crimp Dies [86365] 38-55 used for years to get the bulge out

profile crimp die These cartridge crimp dies were designed for those who want the best possible crimp. Profile crimp dies provide a tighter, more uniform roll type crimp, and requires the bullet to be seated to the correct depth in a previous operation.

A custom expander plug will fix your problem. If you have access to a machine shop you can buy a .40 caliber plug and machine it down.

I'm sorry you had an issue with Buffalo Arms Company. They have always been extremely helpful with all my BP rifle issues. I recommend them without reservation to fellow shooters and have never had anyone be disappointed.

Likewise, sorry to hear about your contact with Buffalo Arms. The economy is bad enough, would think a little common courtesy AKA customer service would be the first thing on everyones list. Must not need the business.

Well Scratch, I tried to contact Buffalo Arms for a bit of clarification on their product descriptions. Specifically, the meaning of the size range of their custom expander plugs.

The response I recieved essentially gave me H### for contacting them for information. They completely ignored my request for clarification and responded with the most discourteous response I've received from anyone or any business.

Sooo, it'll be a cold day in H### before I do any additional business with Buffalo Arms.

Doc McGee

Like Charlie Harley, my experience with Buffalo Arms over the years has been just the opposite.

All the oversize plugs in the world won't help you if you have a tight chamber and too thick brass at the neck. If you are using W_W brass which is really .375 Win in disquise consider getting the Starline 2.12 brass which is correct length and thinner at the neck. Lots of people complained about Marlins too tight Cowboy 38-55 when it was the thick necked W-W brass that was the problem.

Another thing you might want to do is seat halfway then turn the case 180 degrees and complete your seating. This won't make the bulge disappear but will help keep the bullet aligned correctly.

Like Charlie Harley, my experience with Buffalo Arms over the years has been just the opposite.

As has mine, and on occasion I ask questions too. But as August West said, RCBS would be a great alternative.

Archived