SASS Wire Forum

Rimfire Ammo today

Doc Windshadow

I just got the email from Midway for my birthday discount and as I have almost used up my >22 LR plinking ammo (bought about 6000 rounds in the 90s and down to my last half brick) I was looking at what is on offer from Midway and I wee quite few now to me brand names and I was wondering what the Forums take on the Rimfire market today was.

I see prices (with discount ) between $ 1,418.39 [Federal Premium gold medal ultra match and $179.51[Remington cyclone] for 5000 rounds

that is a huge range and while I do not plan to use this stuff fold anything but plinking so I can cut the price range down to those that range between say $190 and $300 for 5000 but that is still a rather wide range I know better than to get the real cheap stuff like the Rem Cyclone but of the stuff in the low to middle range what are folks happy with these days as I sailed I have never heard of some of the brands but I do not want to dismiss them just for that (Names like Aguila and even Fiocchi (know that one for shotgun shells but not rimfire)

One of the guns I do a lot of plinking with is my Ace Conversion in my 1911 and its floating chamber does not like dirty ammo so that is a small part of the consideration as lone as it lets me bust 100 rounds at the range before I clean that is fine I think it is also a bit happier with plated ammo ....

Any way what is the wisdom from the rest of the gang propping up the bar?

I've had great luck with Federal maroon bulk box. I've had very good results from Federal AutoMatch, but I did get a 353? round box that gave me a "sputt" about 1 out of 15 shots.

CCI is always great - and expensive.

Didn't like the Remington. Dirty and too many Failures To Fire.

While I do not shoot .22 LR from a pistol, I prefer Federal. I have had less success with CCI but I quit on Reminington because of FTF and dirty barrel. I also stay away from the hotter stuff.

For performance and consistency, I recommend CCI Mini Mags...

Thanks Gang

CCI standard velocity plated is what I have been shooting with but I wanted to check.

I had a brick of the Remington Cyclone as a gift last year and about 5% sounded like they had no powder in them or flat failed to fire unless indexed and struck again in another spot on the rim I ended up leaving it on the take it or leave it table at the range with a note saying what my results were and a week later it was back less about 50 rounds with an addition to the note this happened twice more before it stopped turning up on the table,,, not ammo I would ever buy again

Just for a change I guess I will go with the federal if it is still in stock when I call on monday.

I have just about talked myself into buying myself the Caldwell motorized gallery as well so we may have a happy happy birthday as well

I think I will drag the old Wetherby Mark XXII out of the back of the safe and hunt up the magazines for it perhaps I will give another try at modifying the 5 shot with one of those Ruger high capacity ones the last time I jiggered with the dam thing I never got it to feed more than 10 without jamming and I have a few normal Wetherby 10 shot ones so no gain there

As a 22 competition shooter, I have found the Federal Automatch at Walmart, about $15 for a box of 325 rounds about as good as you can get for the money just to plink.....but for competition the best is Wolf Match Grade, and the best prices I have found are at

http://www.championshooters.com/store/home.php

and http://www.ammunitionstore.com/categories/rimfire-ammunition/22-lr-ammo.html?sort=featured&page=2

You can't beat these for quality and accuracy...... :rolleyes:

My Grandson shot .22s for over a year as a buckaroo,he shot Ruger single six's and a Henry.

The Bulk Ammo-Federal Maroon box & match grade-Remington Golden-Winchester 525- ALL gave POOR results.

CCI always performed well ,But SPENDY.The best BANG for the Buck was Winchester WildCat,Came from Cabelas in the

cool wooden box.I have about 30,000 rounds of bulk ammo used for plinking only-NO Matches.Will only use wildcat or the CCI in a match .Cheap ammo IS cheap ammo!

D-Wayne

Glad Buckshot Ryan shoots center fire now!

I pretty much stick to CCI now. Have had bad luck with Remingtons. You'd think they'd eventually get the picture and get their act in order. :angry:

Overall I've had very good results from CCI Blazers. Years ago I used Winchester Wildcats and had great results but they have been hard to come by around here for some reason. I'll not say what I think about Remingtons! :angry:

Gracos Kid and I shoot together and out of about 25 of us only a handfull of us shoot the same ammo but we all agree that Federal Automatch (for the money) is as good as you can buy and expect a reasonable result.

I shot Federal Premium for a couple of years until I discovered Wolf Match Extra and now I wouldn't shoot anything else. I still shoot a lot of Automatch in practice.

That's my 2c worth.

I get my Remmie Hollow points from the local farm and ranch at sixteen a box of 250, had one FTF in two boxes, and the bore is clean, can't figure out you boys with dirty barrels. When I fire the Winchester FTF is about ten to a box of fifty. I like the Remmies in the SW AR15/22 runs clean and never misses a beat. Guess it's a mixed bag of reports huh?

Just ran 250 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet through my 22 Lr Henry Golden Boy and my S&W K masterpiece with no problems at all, 525 rounds at Academy Sports for 17.99

Archived