SASS Wire Forum

Do Other Shooting Disciplines Help CAS Shooters?

Bart Solo

I have been thinking about the coming winter, and wondering what I should do to continue improving my CAS game during the long dark months when practice is difficult and matches can be iced out. It occured to me that indoor shooting might be a way to stay in shootinig shape, but exactly what kind of shooting? Should I join the local USPSA chapter? NRA Action Pistol? Bulleye? Should I just go punch holes in paper? Should I just hunker down and dream of the coming spring? Any thoughts on shooting during the cold months ahead.

Arizona, we shoot a lot in the winter :rolleyes:

I am still a youngster at 63 and have a job. I guess I am stuck here in Missouri this winter just like the rest. Anyway I started this thread because it was well over 100 today and I am hot, hot, hot. I need to think about cool.

I agree with Doc Shapiro. I have often gone back to shooting bullseyes with a .22 pistol to brush up on the basics if I've been in a slump shooting other disciplines. The discipline and consistency you'll develop with bullseye pistol shooting will certainly help your CAS shooting skills. -- GIT

I'm planning on doing some PPC (Police Pistol Combat) this winter. Even thou I live in Michigan, there are a few clubs that shoot into Oct and Nov. There is also one that shoots the entire year, even in the snow, no wimps here.

Try finding a Steel Challenge match near you to shoot. 5 steel targets as fast as you can shoot them and there is a cowboy division so you can practice with your regular guns. Great practice for target aquirement and you don't have to run around in the heat.

Cope

Indoor SASS matches first Tuesday evening at the NRA HQ Range in Fairfax, VA with the Virginia City Marshalls! :)

The National Firearms Museum is on site if you arrive too early to set steel. :D

Every winter I use the local indoor range to realize how bad my shooting has become. It seems that by shooting fast at a 12" square steel target, I forget that you can actually hit the bullseye on the target every time if you aim and squeeze.

We also got the local range to start up a "cowboy league" during the winter months with SA revolvers and lever rifles. Sorry to say we can't shoot shotguns in this league (yet).

GW

I usually shoot plate matches over the winter (5 8 or 10" steel plates on a knockdown rack, man on man) inside and it definitely helped keep my pistol skills up when I was shooting fast. Look around at some of the clubs that have an indoor range and see if they do matches during the cold season.

+1 for Doc Shapiro. Match pressure is match pressure, whether it's at a CAS match or those darned sporting clays. Much of shooting is handling that pressure. Winter's also a good time to tighten up your groups and retrain yourself on the fundamentals. If you can swing it, it might be a good time to take a self-defense class. Because it's sort of my profession, I take 1 class a year where there are no cameras, etc., just to work on my skill level. Shooting a diffrerent gun every now and then will make you a better shooter, precisely because it allows you to focus more clearly on the fundamentals. My good friend, master gunsmith and ace trainer Bruce Gray once said that "85% of all the questions in the world could be answered with one word — trigger." Not Roy Roger's horse, either.

If there are any in your locale, I'd like to suggest a Ruger rimfire match....22 pistols and rifles on steel. Inexpensive guns, inexpensive ammo and perfectly suited to moonlighting SASS shooters...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Back in 2003 to 2005 I used to shoot a lot of military combat matches with M9 and M16A2 at the same time I was beginning SASS Gunfighter.

I went to the Winston P. Wilson National matches and MAC regional matches and placed quite well (even earned a Distinguished Pistol Badge).

And it helped my Gunfighter shooting a whole lot! I placed in both CO & NE state SASS matches too. :lol:

And now with my hectic schedule, I don't shoot either very much at all. My scores really suffer!

So in my humble opinion---

ANY TRIGGER TIME HELPS---A LOT!!! ^_^

MG

I am taking of this summer: too hot and putting my boats in the water.

Great time to get shooting irons in order and do a bunch of reloading.

Practice is at a local indoor range and learning from the Evil Roiy videos.

I shot IPSC for six years (1911, production and revolver), .22 bullseye for four years and some pistol silhouette. These help some but not as much as mimicking SASS matches at my local range.

I've started shooting Steel Challenge matches. They even have a cowboy class where I can shoot my six-guns and use my cowboy leather. Smaller targets, far away (compared to our pistol targets)...really makes you work on seeing the front sight.

I like it a lot and seems like a good bunch of folks.

Four Bucks

Archived