SASS Wire Forum

Funny things happen on the way back from EoT

Dorado

Ok, So EoT was a blast. I'll be heading back there next year, hopefully. But I did have a couple of odd occurrences on the way back. First, While I was there I picked up my nephew who lives in NM to bring him for a family reunion. He got to see the Wild West show. We left afterwards and stopped by McDonald's in Edgewood, and wouldn't you know it. Some of the performers came in for a quick bite before the next show. Great group of people. Unlike most of the performers I know, they were good folk and down to earth. Dr.Buck has some fine people working for him.

Now, on to the strange part. I camped out in a tent and so ALL of my clothes were dirty, even the ones I didn't wear. So, I didn't feel the need to change out of my cowboy clothes. After a quick burger, we were off, didn't have to stop until Amarillo. People there thought I was part of a wild west show and I had to take pictures with some of them. :lol: Next was a stop at a rest stop somewhere in Texas. Again, another Photo opp. (By the way that is a good time to pass out info cards and advertise CAS/SASS)

Got going from there and I didn't get far before I got pulled over. Still don't know what for but oh well. Didn't get a ticket but I did get a lot of questions from the cop. We talked for about half an hour about CAS, showed off my guns, and gave him a info card. He gave me a warning. :angry::lol:

A few mile later another rest stop and another photo shoot. Shame I didn't shave. lol. I'm going to have to start charging. This was at about 2am and for some reason no matter what time it was, kids just flocked to see the "Cowboy". Gave out the last of my cards.

All in all, it was a fun trip back. So, now I have a question...Should I have changed into regular clothes and gone home or did I do the "right thing" and go in Cowboy?

A few years back my wife and I drove from near San Francisco back to Gettysburg. Towing a cannon. I wore period clothing (other than shoes) all the way. Every fuel stop, every pit stop, we figured would take at least 45 minutes. Stayed at KOAs heading east. Treated ourselves to cheap motels on the way back home - we had had our fill of privies 100 yards or more away and sleeping on an air mattress. Did lots of talking to people. I had CDVs made up with a list of websites for Civil War information.

Never pass up a chance to educate people.

I don't usually attract a lot of attention. In fact I try not to. I was just wondering if that kind of thing happens to everyone else or if it was just my time in the spotlight. What do y'all do when this happens?

I don't usually attract a lot of attention. In fact I try not to. I was just wondering if that kind of thing happens to everyone else or if it was just my time in the spotlight. What do y'all do when this happens?

Happens to me on my way to re-enactments. Happened to me back when I was playing in the SCA (never brought any modern clothing with me).

What do you do? Be polite, answer any questions, and talk their ears off.

I have a business that pertains to CAS and I find it helpful for advertising to dress the part all the time.

But then again, I've worn all the old west clothing since long before I started CAS.

It's a blast just seeing the looks on people's faces. :lol: Especially when they are walking around in public in their PJs! <_<

~EE Taft~

I have a business that pertains to CAS and I find it helpful for advertising to dress the part all the time.

But then again, I've worn all the old west clothing since long before I started CAS.

It's a blast just seeing the looks on people's faces. :lol: Especially when they are walking around in public in their PJs! dry.gif

~EE Taft~

I know what cha mean, EE.

Da hat I wear at SASS matchs, I wore when I was truckin'. Susperders as well.

Tryed not to drive heeled, but I got a CCW, so ,..........................

Like I said, TRYED NOT TO......................B)

what are these cards you are talking about Dorado

A few years back my wife and I drove from near San Francisco back to Gettysburg. Towing a cannon. I wore period clothing (other than shoes) all the way. Every fuel stop, every pit stop, we figured would take at least 45 minutes. Stayed at KOAs heading east. Treated ourselves to cheap motels on the way back home - we had had our fill of privies 100 yards or more away and sleeping on an air mattress. Did lots of talking to people. I had CDVs made up with a list of websites for Civil War information.

Never pass up a chance to educate people.

what is CDVs joe

what is CDVs joe

Sorry. CDV is carte de visite. Calling cards or business cards. See Carte de Visite for a brief description. They were quite the thing back in the day.

I made mine, well, I had my wife make mine. Buy some business card stock to run through the printer, put a sepia tone photo with my name and email on one side, and on the other the addresses of various sites of interest. Very useful. I'd also hand them to people who were taking photos of me and ask if they would be so kind as to email them to me.

what is CDVs joe

I made up some business type cards with some basic info on them. One side had website info for SASS the other had contact info for our local club. Just something I threw together on my computer. I don't think it took more than 15 minutes and it makes it look a bit more "official" than just telling them.

I made up some business type cards with some basic info on them. One side had website info for SASS the other had contact info for our local club. Just something I threw together on my computer. I don't think it took more than 15 minutes and it makes it look a bit more "official" than just telling them.

Not to mention that when a person sees a card, CDV, they will say "Oh yeah! I remember that guy! I should look into this!" rather than finding some cryptic notes written on a scrap of paper, which usually prompts a "What the heck is this?" followed by a shrug and tossing it into the circular file.

Ok, So EoT was a blast. I'll be heading back there next year, hopefully. But I did have a couple of odd occurrences on the way back. First, While I was there I picked up my nephew who lives in NM to bring him for a family reunion. He got to see the Wild West show. We left afterwards and stopped by McDonald's in Edgewood, and wouldn't you know it. Some of the performers came in for a quick bite before the next show. Great group of people. Unlike most of the performers I know, they were good folk and down to earth. Dr.Buck has some fine people working for him.

Now, on to the strange part. I camped out in a tent and so ALL of my clothes were dirty, even the ones I didn't wear. So, I didn't feel the need to change out of my cowboy clothes. After a quick burger, we were off, didn't have to stop until Amarillo. People there thought I was part of a wild west show and I had to take pictures with some of them. :lol: Next was a stop at a rest stop somewhere in Texas. Again, another Photo opp. (By the way that is a good time to pass out info cards and advertise CAS/SASS)

Got going from there and I didn't get far before I got pulled over. Still don't know what for but oh well. Didn't get a ticket but I did get a lot of questions from the cop. We talked for about half an hour about CAS, showed off my guns, and gave him a info card. He gave me a warning. :angry::lol:

A few mile later another rest stop and another photo shoot. Shame I didn't shave. lol. I'm going to have to start charging. This was at about 2am and for some reason no matter what time it was, kids just flocked to see the "Cowboy". Gave out the last of my cards.

All in all, it was a fun trip back. So, now I have a question...Should I have changed into regular clothes and gone home or did I do the "right thing" and go in Cowboy?

:) :) :) :) :) Are you kidding? You were great.

AJ

Not to mention that when a person sees a card, CDV, they will say "Oh yeah! I remember that guy! I should look into this!" rather than finding some cryptic notes written on a scrap of paper, which usually prompts a "What the heck is this?" followed by a shrug and tossing it into the circular file.

I am going to have to look into making some of those

I am going to have to look into making some of those

Just about any store that carries office supplies or computer printer supplies has it. Avery stock, 25 sheets of 10 cards, will set you back about 14 bucks.

I have card stock couple different kind just never thought about making any card

I stopped for a Coke on the way home from a shoot at Badlands Bar 3. I had on a long wool overcoat, over my regular shooting clothes. A feller walks up and asks, "Are you a real sheriff?"

I've also had kids look at me and just shake their heads.

My brother Sawyer has a Padre outfit that he wears from time to time. One day at a store, some Hispanic folks actually asked him for a blessing.

Archived