SASS Wire Forum

What TV Cowboy actor ?

Widder, SASS #59054

My memory ain't nearly as good as a dead skunk's but a few years back, I faintly remember a news story about a Cowboy actor shooting hisowndangself in the head with a blank in his pistol.

Info I remember was that he shot himself on purpose but didn't realize the power of a blank and it broke his skull and pushed a piece of his skull into his brain and he died.

Can ANYONE shed some knowledge on this or atleast help me with correct info.

OR, was there someone who shot himself and 'thought' it was a blank.

Many thanks

..........Widder

Model turned actor Jon Eric Hexam? I think, unsure of circumstances. Baddog N.---OK then, Wikipedia notes that he was killed on a TV series called "Cover Up" in 1984. Between scenes, he did a Russian Roulette thing with a .44 Mag and 1 blank. Catastrophic failure.

Widder , I don't remember a "Cowboy" actor doing that , but Jon Eric Hexum (I think that is the right name , a search would show for sure) did just what you described. At this late date I don't remember what movie or TV series he was associated with.

Makes you wonder about some folks' grasp on common sense. Rex :unsure:

Looks like Baddog was quicker on the trigger. :D

FREE DRINKS on me fellers.

Thats the one.

I had mixed-up the details about Pete Duel committing suicide (he was one of the Cowboy stars on Alias Smith and Jones), and the actual details of Jon Erik Hexam's death.

Thank you much.

..........Widder

Note: These are nearly always "contact range" events involving real idiots (The gun safety folks on the set) and their charges who they DON'T train properly.

I remember reading the story in TV Guide. Just as he pulled the stunt, Hexum reportedly said, "I wonder if there's one in here with my name on it."

I remember that program, believe his co-star was a model :blush:

Almost. Hexum was the model, his female costar was the fashion photographer.

Archived