SASS Wire Forum

Black Bears near Boston

I live in a small town about 30 miles west of Boston; our local police dept. uses an automated dialing system to alert households of emergencies - missing children, escapees in the woods, etc.

Got a call today; one of my neighbors, less than a mile away, spotted a black bear near her house - took a pic and called the police.

Now we're used to a fair amount of wildlife here, but this is our first bear in recent memory. Food must be getting scarce up north......

Shotgun is by the back door for walking the dog....

LL

Is that the one you'd use?

I have no experience hunting bear, or defending myself against them if needed. But I'd wonder if the shotgun were the right gun. I don't claim to know; I just claim to wonder.

Not knowing for sure, I'd bring the .30-.30, of the guns I have.

What do you think?

Aunt Jen

If you mean a Bruin, it depends: are you a Trojan?

Aunt Jen

Nope... :)

But I've read some scary stories 'bout Massachussetts and guns... :wacko:

I live in a small town about 30 miles west of Boston; our local police dept. uses an automated dialing system to alert households of emergencies - missing children, escapees in the woods, etc.

Got a call today; one of my neighbors, less than a mile away, spotted a black bear near her house - took a pic and called the police.

Now we're used to a fair amount of wildlife here, but this is our first bear in recent memory. Food must be getting scarce up north......

Shotgun is by the back door for walking the dog....

LL

Here in New Hampshire, the bear population is "about 5000." The hunting season is expected to reduce that by about 500 which keeps the population "about 5000." A few years ago there was a lot of rain in the deep woods which reduced the amount of food available and brought the bears out of the deep woods and made the bear hunt hit the 500 number early and the hunting season was closed early.

Nope... :)

But I've read some scary stories 'bout Massachussetts and guns... :wacko:

As in many cases, the rumors are worse than the reality. Bear hunting is legal in most of MA (west of my town - outside of the well developed areas), and actually permits the use of CF rifles over .23, revolvers (.357 mag and up) and bows. No shotguns, baiting or dogs. One bear per hunter, tag required.

We have our own peculiarities (especially regarding handguns)but like most states, we have a solid sporting and hunting tradition - just less and less open land in which to pursue it.

LL

If you mean a Bruin, it depends: are you a Trojan?

Aunt Jen

FightON!!!

Shot a Bruin in the @$$ with a paintball once (interschool game.) Little wussie cried like he had run out of hair mousse or something.

Archived