SASS Wire Forum

Dillon XL650

JJJ's was entertaining today.. I think it is the first time I have seen both his feet leave the ground at the same time.. lol... So here is a reason for safety glasses and reloading.. lol. His patience lasted the whole day, taking the machine apart, adjusting, and the whole time he put up with me reading the "trouble shooting" section to him... lol.. So, just to let you know you are talking to a guy who has a lot of patience if he can put up with a chick in his reloading man cave, let along one reading to him for the whole day..

This evening a friend said because we are reloading 38's that we need to be slower and very smooth on the handle. After one primer went off he found 2 others that were sheared to the point of BOOM too... we were just lucky they didnt go off I guess. I had a Dillon Square D that worked just fine, but I did load 45's then and smokeless... The 650 is a lot different to me, so guys is it the powder, or the air head reading the trouble shooting book? Dillion was closed today, darn it..

I have been running the subs for some years now, first Clear Shot, then Pinnacle and now APP, with no feed problems. I think most auto progressive presses come up short on the manual, with the exception being those who can not read but they gotta be proud of something. I would say it is now time to call some of those guys who were so insistent on your opening the box but understand that you will need a six pack waiting on ice for when the project is finished. I would offer to make a trade also, but unlike Blade, nobody is gonna git my LNL-AP for less than three 650s!

Are you gitting rid of some 550 stuff Ivory Jack? I can always use a few more tool heads especially if they come with dies! :lol:

JJJ -

Just say the word and I'll bring you my 550B and all the conversion kits and toolheads (complete with dies) you'll ever need and then I'll bolt it down for you. Heck, I'll even take that bad ol' 650 off your hands at no charge... ;)

JJJ,

I have a brand new Dillon 650 still in the box in my garage too. I will just keep running my 550's until I can come up with enough cash to buy all the bells and whistles that make the 650 fast. Case feeder, strong mount, bullet tray, roller handle....... I think I need about $600 for all the stuff I picked out. I bet it will run like the dickens then.

Ethan

Directions???

I'm a man

I don't need no stinkin' directions

I have two 650's from the begining of reloading 10 years ago, and would not trade them for anything... Plus the SUPER service from Dillon Co. Not that I've needed it much, but on two occasions it was quick, and no charge.

I load single stage on a Lee press for only two calibers for SASS, 45 LC and 12 ga (I have RCBS 12 ga dies for brass shells). I have given thought to speeding things up a bit and getting a progressive, but I'm loading Pyrodex now (not sure how that compares to APP in bulk). I was a former owner of a 357 square deal and the problem I found was in the number of "plastic" parts included in (what I would think should be) a metal machine. I had no end of breakage and readjustment. Dillon was of course, great with the replacements, but it got annoying after a bit. Would a bigger beefier machine be a better answer (at least it would mean steel dies and no plastic in the die block) to loading the one caliber of 45 LC? Do you folks do something with the plastic tube on the powder measure because of the black powder (ie. replace it with aluminum)? Thanks for any advice. Smithy.

I have to agree with Timber.

M.T Chambers Nice set up on the press and sizers! I also like the small space required.

Rattler

650 would be more machine that I would load on with APP. I load all my true black on a 550 or a turret press. Any black or sub is going to fling a little powder out of the case and down into the shell head and the primer rotor. Because the case is nearly full of powder. The shell plate motion on a 650 can be a little jerky even when it's spotlessly clean, so if you insist on loading APP with this machine, you will need to run the operating handle very smoothly and a little slower, watching for the spot at which powder likes to jump up out of the filled case and adjusting your stroke to not jostle the case.

You have a couple three problems at this point due to a little APP that has gummed up some of the 650 parts.

1) case won't always feed into the shell head at the decapping station. Oops, you have gunk in the shell head recesses that serve as the shell holders. Or on the case feeding slide base. Clean the shell plate very well.

2) primer rotor is not always snapping into place right under the case at the priming station. Clean all that rotor, detent ball, primer seating punch assembly, etc. If you detonated just a single primer (you did not get a chain all the way up through the primer tube), you were REALLY lucky. Next time, the whole tube can go off, which causes considerable commotion. (Hint - make sure you have the powder measure lid on!)

3) shell plate area has to be kept clean enough that the advance motion is silky smooth.

All those potential problems convinced me that loading BP was more appropriate on a 550, with it's manual advance of the shell plate. What little powder I spill with the manual advance I can clean up easier, and it certainly will not affect the primer feed enough to lead to multiple primer detonations. And, I use a Lyman 55 BP measure, manually cycled, not the Dillon. Just for a little extra safety with the BP, and to reduce the chance of aluminum components corroding from the powder.

Good luck, GJ

650 would be more machine that I would load on with APP. I load all my true black on a 550 or a turret press. Any black or sub is going to fling a little powder out of the case and down into the shell head and the primer rotor. Because the case is nearly full of powder. The shell plate motion on a 650 can be a little jerky even when it's spotlessly clean, so if you insist on loading APP with this machine, you will need to run the operating handle very smoothly and a little slower, watching for the spot at which powder likes to jump up out of the filled case and adjusting your stroke to not jostle the case.

You have a couple three problems at this point due to a little APP that has gummed up some of the 650 parts.

1) case won't always feed into the shell head at the decapping station. Oops, you have gunk in the shell head recesses that serve as the shell holders. Or on the case feeding slide base. Clean the shell plate very well.

Yea, I have a can of compressed air next to the press now as well as a dental pick.

2) primer rotor is not always snapping into place right under the case at the priming station. Clean all that rotor, detent ball, primer seating punch assembly, etc. If you detonated just a single primer (you did not get a chain all the way up through the primer tube), you were REALLY lucky. Next time, the whole tube can go off, which causes considerable commotion. (Hint - make sure you have the powder measure lid on!)

I'm gonna clean the whole thing and use the air as well.

3) shell plate area has to be kept clean enough that the advance motion is silky smooth.

All those potential problems convinced me that loading BP was more appropriate on a 550, with it's manual advance of the shell plate. What little powder I spill with the manual advance I can clean up easier, and it certainly will not affect the primer feed enough to lead to multiple primer detonations. And, I use a Lyman 55 BP measure, manually cycled, not the Dillon. Just for a little extra safety with the BP, and to reduce the chance of aluminum components corroding from the powder.

I got the same advice in pm's from several people, and a good friend that also loads on a 650 said he has to go slower when loading .38's cause the press is a bit finicky with these. Said when loading .45's it goes like the devil...

Good luck, GJ

Thanx fer all the good replies..... and offers :blush:

Off ta reload again...

JJJ-D

Yea, I have a can of compressed air next to the press now as well as a dental pick. I'm gonna clean the whole thing and use the air as well.

When you have a primer stack explosion,,,,,that'll clean out any powder residue on the shell plate and surrounds.... Will not clean your shorts after the event. :lol:

I got the same advice in pm's from several people, and a good friend that also loads on a 650 said he has to go slower when loading .38's cause the press is a bit finicky with these. Said when loading .45's it goes like the devil...

Thanx fer all the good replies..... and offers :blush:

Off ta reload again...

JJJ-D

JJJ, I have found that if I run my shellplate too tight, it catches the primers and turns them sideways, hence the explosion when you try to seat them. Running a little loose with BP Subs helps with the debris being able to work itself out too.

I also find that I'll use a finger as a brake on the shellplate to keep it from snapping into place and throwing powder out when it indexes to the next station.

9MM is an absolute nightmare for me with the 650 with those itty bitty cases. .40 is better, .45 is better yet, 45LC runs pretty darned good with very few issues.

;) APP has so much dust that you have to clean up more often than any other powder I have used. I have had my 650 for over 20 years and have never had a primer go off. Check the placement of the 2 bolts that hold the primer feed onto the press and the metal tab under the feed is in the correct position as this will cause some problems if not in as designed.I also go a lot slower with the APP and clean after @25 rounds. This seems to allow loading 150-200 rounds with no problems. I use a hand vac, make sure it's grounded, and a small brush to keep the shell plate and primer area clean. Dillon will help with anything that needs work or replacement. I have yet to find any other company with better customer service. Good luck.

btt

Archived