SASS Wire Forum

Eyesight/Contact Lens question

Hightower

Sure hope some of the sages here can give me some advice on this:

My eye doctor recently increased the power on the prescription of my contacts. It's been great to see that trees have leaves on them again instead of those greenish blobs that had been there. BUT . . . now my arms aren't long enough to be able to read anything.

The solution has been to give me a "distance" lens in the right eye and a "reading" lens in the left. Turns out the brain does an okay job of making the adjustments back and forth.

QUESTION: Has anyone else had experience with this? More importantly, does it affect your shooting?

After one match, I am definitely concerned, but that could have just been a bad day.

Hightower

I have the same problem. I am relatively new to this game (shot two local matches)using the contact lens set up like yours.

I didn't feel that was a problem. I was more concerned about dust being a problem so made it a point to have backup glasses in

case if conditions required a change.

Good Luck, Ned

My eye doctor recently increased the power on the prescription of my contacts. It's been great to see that trees have leaves on them again instead of those greenish blobs that had been there. BUT . . . now my arms aren't long enough to be able to read anything.

The solution has been to give me a "distance" lens in the right eye and a "reading" lens in the left.

Depends upon which eye you use to shoot with (your master eye). If you are right handed and right master eye, then instead of what the doctor has you in now, you need the other way around! Distance vision in the non-master eye, front sight distance in the master eye. And, unfortunately, that leaves you a little fuzzy to be reading with, which is normally closer than front sight distance. Throw in a cheap pair of readers to make up for that, or have the doctor make a cheap pair of single visions that leave your non-master eye set for distance and your master eye corrected when you wear the readers so that you get reading vision. Of course, that could also be a bifocal lens to correct for reading, with clear on top. Lots of ways to address it - none are quite as good as having 20 year old eyeballs, but you can "get er done".

Lots of folks call ahead to the Doc and let him/her know you want to bring your shootin irons in to make sure he understands your "focal distance" concerns.

Good luck, GJ

This is how I have my prescription Wiley-X shooting glasses set up, near point in one lens, far point in the other. Works great for me. The wife does the same exact thing you're doing with her contacts. She has no complaints.

I wear extended wear, bifocal contacts. been wearing and shooting with them for a couple of years. Don't make me faster, but I sure see better :lol:

I tried the Wiley X prescriptions too. Couldn't make it work. Been using the contact thing for several years...right eye for front sight...left eye for distance. Thought I could eliminate puttin' the contacts in, then grubbing them out when done shooting by switching to the prescription lenses. Well, I guess my old brain couldn't assimilate them. Kept seeing double targets. Tried 'em several days. Still two targets. Decided I'd go ahead and shoot one of 'em. Kept picking the one that wasn't there. Gave it up and went back to the contacts.

Good Luck with whichever you try!!

What GJ said.

If you're right handed and right eye dominant, the "reading" lens needs to be in your right eye.

If you're left handed and left eye dominant, the "reading" lens needs to be in your left eye.

If you're not one of the above, post what you are. Example: Right eye dominant, but left handed.

If you don't know which eye is dominant, with both eyes open, hold up your index finger with your arm extended and place the fingernail over an object in the distance (like you would the bead of a shotgun). Now close your left eye. If the object is still covered, you're right eye dominant. If that did not work, close your right eye. If the object is still covered, you're left eye dominant.

Same sort of problem here. I had my Dr. prescribe my lenses for one power less than optimal for distance. Gives me adequate close up vision, and decent distance, too. I still use readers for books and magazines, but small stuff, can labels, and such, this works for me.

Thanks all, lots of good info here. Glad to know I'm not the alone in this.

Buck, doc checked me and I am right eye dominant, but the distance lens is in the right eye. Sounds backwards from what you suggested. I'll try a switch and see.

I just gotta have something to blame those four misses on from last Saturday. :D

I put up a similar post, but for eyeglasses, about two weeks ago. Several more experienced shooters said that they had done the near/far lens thing, and that it had worked for them. I tried, but it is a 'brain-thing' meaning that it did not work for me. It was actually so bad that I thought that my 'friends' had been pulling my leg with their suggestions. I think that this works for some but not all.

What is working is to just foregoe the corrective lens at all. This makes everything a bit fuzzy but not overly fuzzy with the 'aid' of the corrective lens. My groups and target acquisition (big word for a Saturday am) are much improved. I plan on shooting with just protective glasses until I find a better solution.

Well I tried contacts for a while , distance one eye near in the other, just couldn't make it work. Went back to progressive lens glasses and seem to be ok. Not faster just see ok. Thought about surgery but my cousin did it, and she said everything went ok until the dr. dropped it and it got dust on it. Said it was dry and itchy the rest of the day.

Thanks again, y'all. I'm contemplating taking my looong barrell '73 in to my eye doctor and getting that focal length set right at the front sight - mostly just to see his reaction!

If I did that, would it be better to have a set of contacts for that distance? I'm thinking a prescription set of shooting glasses would probably be easier, but what's the cost on something like that?

'Preciate all the good advice.

Hightower

Prescription shooting glasses will be $150 to $400. At the more expensive end are the ones having the safety lens ground to be your prescription. With the side protection that most folks want, that lens is very difficult to make, thus expensive even with the computerized equipment today.

The less expensive end uses insert lenses set behind the safety shield. I use ESS ICE2 shooting glasses, and like them a lot. Several other brands are pretty good, too. I use the master-eye with a near single vision lens, and the weak eye with a distance lens, and that keeps the prescription much cheaper than having progressive lenses in both.

Good luck, GJ

Archived